Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Provider Problems

Options
  • 05-02-2012 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a big problem with my internet provider and was wondering if i could cancel the contract if the situation doesn't improve soon.

Here's some background information anyway.

At the start of November 2011, we moved into a new house and ordered broadband from Magnet. They said we'll be able to get a 12mb line at least and will have to wait 10 working days to get up and running.

We actually only got connected 2 weeks ago (middle of January about!) due to Eircom not releasing the line for ages... and ages. At no time did we ever recieve notification on why the delays were happening, i only got any information at all due to my constant calling and badgering.

Then we got connected anyway and had a 12mb line as promised and all was well, for about 10 minutes. then it disconnected, and that is all it has been doing for the last 2 weeks.

I've been on the phone to tech support everyday since then and every time they fob me off saying an engineer is working on it and they'll get him to call me back... he never does and i'm getting very annoyed cos i can't get a solid connection for any length of time (the speed is at 1mb now too!)

I'm supposed to be paying €65 a month for an "always on connection" not for a connection that cuts off at least 30 times a day and a phone line that is extremely noisy and makes phone calls irritating to say the least

I've had all the internal wiring checked and tried different routers, cabling and filters so it isn't anything inside the house that's causing the crapness.

Soo, anyhoo.... am i within my rights to cancel the contract without penalty if the situation doesn't improve? I'm at the end of my tether here and was thinking of getting wireless broadband instead.

Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Soo, anyhoo.... am i within my rights to cancel the contract without penalty if the situation doesn't improve?

Yes. Tell magnet to have the problem fixed in a time frame that suits you or you will be cancelling based on the fact that they are not providing any service to you. If they make any noise about charging fees to cancel early, tell them to go sing for it.

Cancel any direct debit by writing to your bank, to make sure they don't charge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You need to Write to Magnet or email them a "Formal Complaint"(you must use these exact words!) outlining the issues and than give them 10 working days to resolve all the issues they are obviously having and notify them that failure to provide a proper service will void the contract you have with them and you will cancel any further payments and will not be paying any early termination fees. send a copy of the letter/email to ComReg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Got sorted now! i rang Comreg and explained the situation yesterday. They sent a message to Magnet who rang me today and said there will be be an eircom guy out to me soon. He arrived not long after and fitted all new cables from the pole to the house. We now have a perfectly crackle free line and a constant connection.

Sweet! I just wish they'd have done that without being asked to by Comreg but whatever. I'm happy enough now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Got sorted now! i rang Comreg and explained the situation yesterday. They sent a message to Magnet who rang me today and said there will be be an eircom guy out to me soon. He arrived not long after and fitted all new cables from the pole to the house. We now have a perfectly crackle free line and a constant connection.

Sweet! I just wish they'd have done that without being asked to by Comreg but whatever. I'm happy enough now.

Delighted you got it sorted in the end but it's absolutely disgraceful you had to go to comreg to get something, which you as a consumer, are paying a pretty hefty (€65 a month is hefty IMO) fee for. Have business ethics along with everything else just been discarded in this country? Seriously, I really despair for the future of this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

That's bloody excellent. They can shift gear when they really want to but pity you had to go to comreg about it at all.

Enjoy your always on connection!

TD

• Advertisement
Advertisement