Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which broadcaster do you like most: Sky, HBO, or Box Nation.

• 05-02-2012 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

HBO for me. No-one can beat the combination of Jim Lampley, Emmanuel Stewart and Larry Merchant for me.

(I put in other in case you like for example RTE the most, but it's not a big broadcaster like the others. Same goes for any other broadcaster that is your favourite.)

Which is your favourite? 20 votes

Sky
    0% 0 votes
    HBO
    15% 3 votes
    Box Nation
    70% 14 votes
    Other (please state)
    15% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Sky are ridiculously biased at times (towards British fighters) and Box Nation doesn't have the professional look and commentary you get from HBO.

No mention for Showtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

HBO are pretty good. The only thing that bothers me about their broadcasts is their tendency to not bother with blow for blow commentary unless the fight is really exciting. Blow for blow is what commentary should be about, even on TV. I think Lampley's great though, he has serious passion for the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

HBO for me, nothing else is even close. Showtime isn't bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭The Prodigy 2

HBO by far ! Sky decent, but i can't stand box nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

The best show for me is Friday Fight Night on ESPN .

Great coverage and analysis from Atlas and Co.

HBO is a well polished show and has great match-ups , but has a huge bias in favour of its associate promoters. (similar to SKy)
    Do not rate Max Kellerman at all

Boxnation is best value , Bunce is brilliant.
    They also work long hours , starting in Europe and finishing in the US (usually post 4am)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

The best show for me is Friday Fight Night on ESPN .

Great coverage and analysis from Atlas and Co.

HBO is a well polished show and has great match-ups , but has a huge bias in favour of its associate promoters. (similar to SKy)
    Do not rate Max Kellerman at all

Boxnation is best value , Bunce is brilliant.
    They also work long hours , starting in Europe and finishing in the US (usually post 4am)

have to agree.

espn are great i really like them. for the fighters they get (most the bigger fighters are on showtime or hbo)
    hbo
    showtime
    boxnation
    sky

i hate skys boxing commentary really do. only barry mcguigan talks a bit of sense when he was on it

have to agree with u on max kellerman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

HBO give you a good programme but i can't stand Larry Merchant. Constantly asks rhetorical questions he thinks he already has the answer to. The other ****er "ok jim.........." (you know the one) wrecks my head too.

I hate the way Sky are constantly out to impress the viewer. Ringside doesn't be bad on occasion though.

I have issues i know.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

hbo are the best but dont like kellerman....love the combo or lampley, merchant and roy jones

really rate jim watts opinion off sky and also mcguigan

the new presenter off sky is muck and nelson does my head in

bunce is all over the place....they show good fights but a bit disorganised and doesnt have the professional feel of sky or hbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

corny wrote: »
    HBO give you a good programme but i can't stand Larry Merchant. Constantly asks rhetorical questions he thinks he already has the answer to.

Merchant should be put out to pasture as he is terrible and is slow to get his points/questions across, Kellerman is arrogant and thinks its all about him when interviewing, I like Bunce as he just comes across as normal and asks interesting questions to boxers.

McGuigan is very good too as is RTE's Bernard Dunne who i actually rate very highly in the role.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

hbo are the best but dont like kellerman....love the combo or lampley, merchant and roy jones

really rate jim watts opinion off sky and also mcguigan

the new presenter off sky is muck and nelson does my head in

bunce is all over the place....they show good fights but a bit disorganised and doesnt have the professional feel of sky or hbo

Hate Jim Watt, so blatantly British biased, it's actually laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Bunce is great. His OTT passion and enthusiasm are infectious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

Hate Jim Watt, so blatantly British biased, it's actually laughable.

always found watt to be quite fair and unbiased to be honest

always found watt to be quite fair and unbiased to be honest

Every time I read a column by him he seems grand but then I hear his scorecards and I cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Hunky dorys fight nights are the best ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Every time I read a column by him he seems grand but then I hear his scorecards and I cringe

Any examples? I don't reacll a bad card from him. If he scores for a British fighter it may be due to him thinking he won, no? Didn't he score for LP over Khan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

walshb wrote: »
    I think Bunce is great. His OTT passion and enthusiasm are infectious.

Agreed ,..... and his informal/unprofessional slant is great. Its like listening to a guy down the local !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"If only he had a punch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

HBO for me...although I agree with an earlier post thta their in fight commentary isnt the blow by blow style I prefer. Merchant annoys me aswell...hes too big an opinion of his own importance.

I like Bounce on boxnation just for his enthusiam alone.

Advertisement