Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate anime?

• 05-02-2012 6:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

Light hearted humour :P

I hate anime, as I should've gone to bed 5 hours ago, but god damn, Armored Trooper Votoms is good! :cool:

And only 15 episodes or so more to go... :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Never understood the attraction myself. Is it the graphics? Story lines? Characters? Music? Why are you still up 5 hours past your bedtime? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I enjoy the animation style, its different sense of humor and storylines. I dont watch western TV at all so when I started watching this I found something to fill the gap.

Not sure what I hate about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

yaoi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

When you compare what people rage about being terrible and overrated in anime (K-On!, Evangelion, Death Note) and what people rage about being terrible and overrated on western TV (CSI, Lost, all those MTV shows) it's clear which is stronger as a form of media.
    I'm watching most of the shows this season and while some of them aren't amazing masterpieces they're all what would be classified as GOOD, rather than just WATCHABLE. In contrast, most new shows on western TV fall into WATCHABLE almost automatically. Masterpieces are as rare as hen's teeth, just look at all the hype Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones get, because they're not terrible! A lot of this is of coarse due to size of budget and trying to make a show safe.

Now on to why I hate anime, because it's too good! Why can't there be more unwatchable trash, WHY! Then I could play more games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I enjoy the animation style, its different sense of humor and storylines. I dont watch western TV at all so when I started watching this I found something to fill the gap.

I am the same, funny enough. I can't get a kick out of watching TV series like I do with watching anime and reading manga and books. I feel I watch TV series for the sake of it but I really enjoy watching anime and it gives me a joy like no idea and leaves me with a happy mood. :p I also feel anime helps me alot with being immaginative. I love everything about it. :D

What I don't like? Hmmm maybe the loud annoying fangirls and fanboys it atracts but I can be one of them or I was one of them when I was younger. :P I think I would have to go for Yaoi too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yes, thats one thing I really dislike is the loud, immature, childish people it can attract and some of the shows they watch. Makes me look bad!
    Its quite cringeworthy indeed.
    I tend to be a more sophisticated anime viewer *adjusts monicle*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Because after hearing the sub it is very rare to like the match of the dub voice to the character and if I have to watch it subbed I can't just having it playing randomly taking up half the screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tryde

Because they drag out story in most anime series so badly ! Honestly, most of anime series I watch, I end up going to read their manga if they have one, because it's simply much better.

Of course there are few gems, such as TTGL, Gundam00, Gintama, Sket Dance and some other~

tryde wrote: »
    Because they drag out story in most anime series so badly ! Honestly, most of anime series I watch, I end up going to read their manga if they have one, because it's simply much better.

Of course there are few gems, such as TTGL, Gundam00, Gintama, Sket Dance and some other~

You're watching the wrong shows

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tryde

Thomas-G wrote: »
    You're watching the wrong shows

How many good shows were there in the last 15 years? Anime producers are always faced with budget issues or catching up to manga, while mangaka doesn't have to worry so much that some panels will cost too much to animate or that he's running out of story to write about.

To be honest most decent anime series are the ones not based on manga or novels, say TTGL or Gundam series.

• Advertisement

tryde wrote: »
    How many good shows were there in the last 15 years? Anime producers are always faced with budget issues or catching up to manga, while mangaka doesn't have to worry so much that some panels will cost too much to animate or that he's running out of story to write about.

To be honest most decent anime series are the ones not based on manga or novels, say TTGL or Gundam series.

How many shows have you watched in the last 15 years? Because I can name more good shows than that this season :D
    I also kind of respect you for putting Gundam 00 in the same category as TTGL. That takes serious guts, or copious amount of insanity ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I also kind of respect you for putting Gundam 00 in the same category as TTGL. That takes serious guts, or copious amount of insanity ^_^

I reckon he was talking about Universal Century :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I might be hardcore in certain aspects, but even I will concede that I'd rather watch a decent dub, or Western cartoon, than subbed anime because it's more convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Auction in Action

I love mangga series especially collectibles and limited editions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Because most of it is dreadful. With the exception of a few series which could potentially transcend the animation ghetto (e.g. Haruhi, Evangelion, Elfen Lied), anime is usually much worse than even bad dramas made by British or US TV production companies. Not only is the animation often poor quality, but the attention given to plot and character, and the appreciation of the particular demands and possibilities of working in a visual narrative form is usually negligible. To be sure, there's plenty of really bad TV drama made in the West, but how many major British or US networks would commission a series as utterly incompetent as Akagi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I think what turned me off getting into anime was when a guy at work was raving about how great it was and how he'd lend me some anime so I could see what I was missing. I remember watching 'ghost in the machine' and 'akira' and then thinking, meh... It was ok. Just ok. Just barely. I also remember thinking that I wouldn't bother with any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

because I spend a total of 8 hours watching and nothing ever gets done

P.S: Golden boy forever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Golden Boy is only 6 hours...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHH NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNIIIII???

That's why.

Andy!! wrote: »

That's why.

That's just Japanese people

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Andy!! wrote: »

That's why.

That's just Japanese people

That must be why I prefer Koreans.

*runs*

Ah no but seriously one thing I dislike about anime is the filler you get in some shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EwEw

What I seriously dislike about anime is how damn addictive it gets.
    Once you get into it, there's no way out for a long time! :)

I've watched many long anime series, like Naruto, Bleach, FMA and one thing I hate is the fillers.. I actually read the manga too, so I know that there's something really cool to look forward to and can't wait to see it in the anime, but BAH, NO! WATCH 100 FILLER EPISODES FIRST... That's why I'd rather manga now :D
    No such thing happens in the shorter series though, so it's all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I hate it because it's just for children and adult fat nerds with bad hygiene and no girlfriends who actually think it's not just for children or fat nerds with bad hygiene and no girlfriends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

dusf wrote: »
    I hate it because it's just for children and adult fat nerds with bad hygiene and no girlfriends who actually think it's not just for children or fat nerds with bad hygiene and no girlfriends.

I'm living proof that you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

dusf infracted for deliberate troll post.

Konata wrote: »
    dusf infracted for deliberate troll post.

It wasn't a troll post, I answered the question honestly and sometimes the truth hurts, but do whatever makes you feel better.

If you asked the population I am quite certain the majority would reply that cartoons are in fact for children, and that they see anime as cartoons.

It wasn't a troll post, I answered the question honestly and sometimes the truth hurts, but do whatever makes you feel better.

If you asked the population I am quite certain the majority would reply that cartoons are in fact for children, and that they see anime as cartoons.

Yes, it was. It was deliberately offensive. The cartoon part wasn't the main problem here. If that's how you really feel, you could have worded it in a much less offensive manner.

gufnork wrote: »
    I'm living proof that you are wrong.

If an anime fan is especially fortunate they may indeed meet an anime fan or someone from a similar social group of the opposite sex and mate.
    davoxx wrote: »
    what has that got to do with "bad hygiene and no girlfriends"?
    are you speaking from experience?
    did the concept of art confuse you?

This is the perception people have of anime fans, adults who read children's comic books, and people who play World of Warcraft etc.

Yes, I am speaking from experience in the sense that all of the anime fans I have encountered thus far meet this stereotype.

Childish question, way to make my point for me.
    Konata wrote: »
    Yes, it was. It was deliberately offensive. The cartoon part wasn't the main problem here. If that's how you really feel, you could have worded it in a much less offensive manner.

It was not deliberately offensive.

Unless the viewers of anime have mutated and developed psychic abilities living in their lairs I and I alone am in the unique position of determining whether or not it was deliberately offensive, and let me tell you it was not, I have answered a public question with an honest answer.

What words offend you personally? Would you be less offended if I worded it differently using the term overweight unsociable hermit instead of what I said? Some stereotypes are true for the most part.

This is how I and the majority of people feel about grown men and women who watch childrens' cartoons, although probably not in the Anime forum but there's no mystery to that little statistic.

Davoxx, misquoting me and then deleting your posts twice in a row only shows lack of conviction in your argument.

• Advertisement

dusf banned from forum for 7 days for ignoring Mod warnings and debating decisions on thread.

I'd just like to add that expressing an opinion such as that of dusf is allowed on this forum but if you are going to say such a thing please express in a manner that is less offensive and also supported with some sort of evidence. Thank you :)

Also, don't feed the troll.

Advertisement