Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funniest stand up comedy you've seen

• 05-02-2012 11:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

For me it has to be Eddie Murphy "Raw" or "Delirious. Can't believe he didn't do more stand up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Jeff Dunham is pretty damn funny but Michael McIntire is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Omid Djalili cracks me up every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭tigger123

Dara O'Briain. I saw him years ago, about 1999, in the Laughter Lounge on the Quays, before they'd done it up. At that stage he was "yer man from Echo Island". I had a pain in my face from laughing so hard. :D

Saw Barry Murphy in the Olympia years ago, he was excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Frankie Boyle or micheal mcintyre

Billy connelly too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Ricky Gervais's standup is pretty good, not a fan of his tv stuff though. Sean Locke is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

shockwave wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais's standup is pretty good, not a fan of his tv stuff though. Sean Locke is also very good.

Funny, I'm the complete opposite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bill Hicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Live it has to be dara obrien. Hes the best iv seen when it comes to interacting with the audience. Of all time is Bill Hicks. Big hopes for mcintyre in november!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Billy Connollys HBO special from 1990 is absolutely hysterical. Prob my favourite stand up routine

Stewart Lee can be excellent aswel

I love Bill Hicks but I didn't necessarily find him side splittingly funny, usually just found myself nodding along with agreement on most of the points he made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I can never decide between Dylan Moran, Sean Locke and Richard Pryor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Billy connolly in the early 90s at the theatre royal in limerick.hes not great today but back then he was the funniest comedian on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Dara o Briain... he's the only comedian that makes me laugh out loud all through the DVD.

Worst is Neil Delamere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Dylan Moran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jim Jeffries.

Saw him once in the UK a good while back, honestly the funniest show I've seen in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Saw Dermot Morgan in 1994. It was pretty much 2 hours of Scrap Saturday material, mainly impressions of Charlie, Pj Mara, P Flynn, Peter Clohessy etc. and his experiences living in London as he was filming a little known series called 'Father Ted' at the time.

God, I miss him. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Saw Dara o Briain in a small venue doing a charity fund raiser gig at the Cat Laugh's festival one year. I had to stop laughing in the end because my sides hurt so much. It helped that he spent half the show taking the piss out of a friend of mine. Then Ed Byrne came on and did the same thing! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think Peter Kay is great. Hate Lee Evans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Go Tobban wrote: »
    I love Bill Hicks but I didn't necessarily find him side splittingly funny
    Because he wasn't.
    He was 2 parts political activist 1 part comic.

By all means admire him for what he preached but as a comic he was distinctly average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Richard Pryor live in concert (in long beach) funniest stand up I have seen. Still cracks me up every time I watch it - killing his car, sex monkeys, fighting Ali it has it all. In the Eddie Murphys interviews on his delirious dvd he even says the stand up was based on Richard Pryors performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

The old Billy Connolly stuff from back in his earlier days would be hard to beat. Dara O'Briain is very good live also but very fond of Reginald D Hunter at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Peter Kay The Tour That Didn't Tour-Tour.
    This was recorded live in 2011 in front of 14000 people.The best ending to a stand up ever.
    Robin William's.We are Amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Stewert francis is very good.

Milton jones is only good on mock the week in short bursts...saw his live show on dave....it was ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Jimmy Carr
    Frankie Boyle

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Saw Dara O'Brien live tonight at Castlebar - brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

In rough order of reccomendation...

Dylan Moran
    Jimmy Carr
    Jason Manford
    Ricky Gervais
    Tommy Tiernan
    Peter Kay
    Rhys Darby
    Stewart Lee
    Omid Djalili
    Bill Bailey
    Chris Rock
    David Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Jimmy Carr and john Bishop were very good. Didn't think much of Dylan Moran which is a shame cause I loved black books. That Scottish fella Kevin bridges is good too.
    Older ones would be Billy Connolly and the best of the best richard Pryor. That live in concert DVD has me in tears of laughter every time.
    As for Peter Kay. Is he still doing jokes about his Nan and tea. Wads funny at the start but don't like hum anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Dave Chapelle has good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Bill Bailey, Tim Minchin, Stewart Lee

Johny vegas in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Rhod Gilbert, Dylan Moran, Dara O'Briain, Billy Connolly, Reginald. D. Hunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

Finally someone mentioned Dave Chappelle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Bill Hicks, Louis CK, Tim Minchin.

George Carlin was fantastic too.

More recently, Kristen Schaal and Kurt Braunohler have a great double-act going. So bizarre, but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Louis CK is the best right now. Jim Norton, Bill Burr also very funny. In general US stand up is miles ahead of anything from Ireland or the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

George Carlin was one of my favourites, Dane Cook has a few good acts aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Some great ones mentioned already. I'll add Daniel Tosh never heard of him until a friend showed me some clips on youtube, really funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

another vote for Louis CK, think he's the best comedian in the world right now

Bill Burr too, underrated

I really like Gabriel Iglesias, really funny Latino comedian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Live:

Dermot Morgan trying out new stuff about 1995, very sharp and alive to hecklers.
    Ed Byrne in the late 90's used to be funny!

Colm Murphy and surprisingly Andrew Maxwell were quite good.

Ardal O'Hanlon picked on me for wearing a striped shirt that tied in with his pyjama joke. Males start and end life wearing pyjamas which is true. Spotted my striped shirt when doing the toilet dash and he just pointed "pjjamas". Baxtard! ;)

Worst, Patrick Kielty.

DVD:

Dylan Moran. (I'd love to see him live)
    Jimmy Carr from 4/5 years ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    George Carlin was one of my favourites, Dane Cook has a few good acts aswell.

I think Dane Cook's problem was he got too big, his show at Madison Square Garden is hard to listen to due to amount of women screaming at him the whole way through it, he's a rock star comedian, he's very fratboy humour but does have some very funny bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Louis CK is the best right now. Jim Norton, Bill Burr also very funny. In general US stand up is miles ahead of anything from Ireland or the UK.

Are you from the US yourself? Some of the cultural differances from Ireland or the UK might not travel well and vice versa of course. A lot of the US comedians are fantastic but TBH I regularly find some US comedians to be a little... obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tim Minchin is excellent as well from what I've watched on TV.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Anybody who thinks that Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious shows were the best (both awesome, I agree) should check out Richard Pryor. The likes of Murphy and Chris Rock wouldn't ever claim to even be as good as him. He pretty much gave birth to that kind of comedy.

His ability to tell stories about the grimmest things that happened to him - growing up in a whorehouse, setting himself on fire after trying to freebase cocaine whilst spilling rum on himself, shooting up his girlfriend's car, having a heart attack - in such a humourous and candid way was nothing short of amazing.

He was also a great actor on stage which greatly added to his Live shows. He'd play out dialogue between multiple characters, giving them clearly defined personalities and voices in a way that most comedians could only aspire to. Absolute genius. Can't help but feel that his work has been diluted a bit by so many people playing the magpie with his work but he was a revolutionary in the comedy world.

Other great comedians I would advise everyone to check out are Mitch Hedberg and Demetri Martin. Very funny and very clever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

This thread doesn't have enough Bill Bailey. The man's a genius :D I also love Dylan Moran and Dara O Briain. To a lesser extent: Sean Locke and Michael McIntyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Billy connolly in the early 90s at the theatre royal in limerick.hes not great today but back then he was the funniest comedian on the planet.

If memory serves me right, was'nt there a lot of up roar about how disguistingly vile Billys language was at that concert, afaik there was even talk about banning him from Limerick, which is a bit rich.

Joan rivers cracks me up every time, 79 next birthday, she is a fúcking LEDGEND.

cant believe I forgot Mitch Hedberg, insanely funny guy, such a pity he died so young.

sample jokes "so my pants are holding up my belt, but my belt is holding up my pants, so whos the real hero down there?"

"I saw a wino eating some grapes and I was like "dude, you gotta wait"

ah just youtube him, brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

George Carlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Last gig I went to was Ross Noble. Very funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement