Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubes, cook st.

Options
  • 05-02-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Heard they have closed down , does anyone have any info on this ? Sorry to see any business go in the city but especially one who has had such strong family ties to trading for years (matthews )

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

there website is down,hope they didn't really liked buying clothes in there when I had the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

judging by the posts on facebook
    sadly so guys

https://www.facebook.com/tubesboardsports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Those posts seem to refer to a Limerick branch? Are you sure it's gone?

I always found them to be way too expensive and usually only bought stuff during sales. Always found Incide better but not sure if they're still going.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I always found them to be way too expensive and usually only bought stuff during sales. Always found Incide better but not sure if they're still going.

ya there still going

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

the shop was closed down earlier anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Tubes were way too expensive, but when they had sales I would buy stuff.

Worked at tubes surf shopGoes to The School of LifeLives in CorkFrom CorkBorn on 1 April 1950
    Im assuming its the cork one.

Yeah I checked it out and it's been confirmed, both the Cork and Limerick store have closed down.

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/more_details/12-02-01/Tubes_Surfing_Limited.aspx

As expensive as they were, it's sad to see it go, was good for a browse if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that really is a shame.

6828887597_58144c2a85.jpg
    no more Tubes by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. Is Matthews still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They had a great sale for the last while. Basically it was buy something, get another free. Shame it was january and I could not take advantage of it.

Shame to see it go. There are far too few decent clothes shops in Cork.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    They had a great sale for the last while. Basically it was buy something, get another free. Shame it was january and I could not take advantage of it.

Shame to see it go. There are far too few decent clothes shops in Cork.

That was half of the problem though. They often had such sales around January and with everything being so expensive in there normally, nobody was ever going to buy at the full price and would just wait for a sale.

There's definitely a market in Cork for this type of clothing and if the prices were right it could be a big earner. Hopefully someone will step into the void.

Faith wrote: »
    Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. Is Matthews still open?

Didn't know they owned Matthews as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Matthews owns Tubes. Matthews has been around for over a century in one form or another; Tubes developed in there relatively recently and became popular enough to warrant its own shop a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Other way around. The Matthews offspring set up Tubes.

I guess incide are the only shop left that sell these types of clothes?

Yeah I guess so, although primetime often have the same kinda brands too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thing is though that these brands and labels are always very expensive, whether you buy in Ireland or UK, or US. People, generally, do not have a huge clothing budget anymore.

I would imagine much of the stock which was available in Tubes will just move back over to Mathews anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Faith wrote: »
    Matthews owns Tubes. Matthews has been around for over a century in one form or another; Tubes developed in there relatively recently and became popular enough to warrant its own shop a few years back.

Matthews Academy St. was owned by 2 brothers back in c1940 s both of them are dead now . Their sons took over the business and would both be in their late 60 s / early 70 s now, both retired now.
    In turn their sons took over, so it was run by 2 cousins. They then sold for development and went their separate ways. One cousin opened Matthews on the Quays near to Vibes and scribes. The other opened Tubes.
    Thats a long family tradition of trading. Sorry to see tubes go . However Matthews on Lavitts Quay is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

That's a shame used to love the old Tubes in the Matthew Center and the new one was good as well. At this rate there will be nothing left in Town, with all the closures, just a collection of English High street chain stores and derelict buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

They had some nice stuff but it was crazy expensive. Could pay 100 quid for a jumper in there!

What they do with the old stock, just pass it on to Mattews?

• Advertisement
Advertisement