Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove Fireplaces in Charlesland?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Has anyone investigated if it is possible or allowed to install stove fireplaces in the duplex appartments in Charlesland? I am not really feeling the love from my gas fire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you've no proper chimney? i would only assume it would cost a small fortune and would be a fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

Has anyone investigated if it is possible or allowed to install stove fireplaces in the duplex appartments in Charlesland? I am not really feeling the love from my gas fire.

Know what you mean the gas fires are really hopeless, no heat retention. This year ours was giving off a very strange smell too so we have not used it. Thankfully it has been mild. We are getting a second radiator put into teh sitting room (3 bed semi) as the room is constantly freezing. Also need to move the thermostat from the kitchen to the hall, pointless having it in teh hottest room in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

i was thinking bout a stove a wile back and advice here was that it can be done sort of along the lines of double walled external flue..its not impossible but the impression i got was while it is possible..the return heat with coal/wood wasnt worth it against gas ..but id say fenton fires would be more helpful...lets know if u go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

We're just up the road in Kilcoole and recently got a stove installed by Burna in Bray. If you decide to go ahead, we found them by far the best value, very quick and clean installation. I would recommend them (and no, I don't have any connection to them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

A friend installed one in their terraced house/duplex in Holywell, Kilcoole. Looks amazing, no need to turn on radiators & while they needed to run a pipe out through the wall I don't think it cost them that much. Would be an investment as we are here now for the longish haul. Problem maybe just getting permission. Will let you know what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Eggle wrote: »
    We're just up the road in Kilcoole and recently got a stove installed by Burna in Bray. If you decide to go ahead, we found them by far the best value, very quick and clean installation. I would recommend them (and no, I don't have any connection to them!)
    sounds interesting did they put it in sitting room?how do you find it for heat? can u put up pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BarryAlistair

I bought from Fentons around 7 years ago - it's fantastic. The only drawback, and I'd say this is important from apartment dwellers, is the ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i really think that this might be in breach of our building regulations and i think there's some regulation saying you cant have a real fire in an apartment for fire safety reasons.

i've a funny feeling it would nullify your home insurance, especially if your home burnt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RebekahF

Hi there,
    Like yourself I am tired of the gas fire...and in fact am nervous putting it on too often. i went to Fenton's at Christmas time and they said it would be possible to get a stove and get it installed - though we may need to get permission from the management company if the 'new' chimney is higher then the current one. The stoves cost €500 plus and the building work woould be approx 2500 - 3k...so it is possible..and worth it if you can afford it. I'm in a 2-bed. Hope this helps! If you do enquire further please keep in touch...it is on my 'when i win the lotto list'! :)

ps - just read you are in a duplex..sorry! I'm in a 2 bed terrace. Still interested to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

I would prefer ''Combi'' boiler to separate heating and hot water heat ups- instant hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

tp25 wrote: »
    I would prefer ''Combi'' boiler to separate heating and hot water heat ups- instant hot water.

Me too, let us know if you look into prices etc

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Jimjay wrote: »
    Me too, let us know if you look into prices etc

posted in another thread

Advertisement