Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WITSU Rag Week 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Noelly

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Excuse me...you think I haven't been to many concerts?I've been to richie Kavanagh and crystal swing what more do you need.

A taste in music

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Nypd wrote: »
    Yes do you really think I run the business I just make the tea;)who said I was involved with the gig in the first place?

Sorry I should have said involved with the bar.
    So I ask again, is it a full gig or what ?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Yes

Did you genuinely not know or did you deliberately feed BS about the gig ?

5 songs less than 20 mins very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Must have been very short songs..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Must have been very short songs..

Average 3 or 4 minutes a song? Sounds about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

If he was in an awful hurry and racing through them yeah...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

there will be some riding done in town this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kina

Actually the Maverick Sabre gig had nothing to do with RAG week. I'm not on the SU but I'm a student and saw the amount of work the SU put into organising the week for the last few months. Harveys announced Maverick Sabre and tied it on to the whole RAG week thing. It's Raise and Give week. The Maverick Sabre gig had nothing to do with the SU or raising money. The SU raised 25,000 euro last year for charity. I know business is business but competing with events that are intended to raise money for charity is kind of ****e.

These are the 4 charities this year:
    1. Paralympics Ireland
    2. South East Simon Community
    3. Eric Butler Appeal
    4. Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland

They're all really deserving and I'd encourage anyone that can to donate to them. Hopefully WIT will raise a fair bit for them this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

In fairness to Harveys, they lined the pockets of the SU and gave generously to previous rag weeks...in particular last year when they had an exclusive deal with the union.

Fair play to them if they have in the past supported the SU to raise money like that. Good to see a bit of kindness in the world......within drunken fun thrown in for good measure. lol. Still bad form this year though. Maverick Sabre would've gone down really well any night. Didn't have to be a Charity week that's been organised for months. Plus they originally advertised mentioning RAG week so a lot of people got the impression it had something to do with the official week. This is all purely my opinion, and my mates too I have to say. We were talking about it at lunch yesterday.

• Advertisement

with* not within

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lots of places advertise RAG week events/deals and are not in association with WITSU. Its done like that everywhere. The reason, I would guess, they put this event on during RAG week is because more people will be out spending money and you will get excess crowd who pop down for the RAG week from other colleges. I see your point though, but business can be nasty at times I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Anyone here go to Sash in the foundry ?
    Wouldn't have minded seeing him to see what he was like.
    Just couldn't bring myself to cue for the foundry of all places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Seemingly some trouble in town tonight. Passed through on the way home from work at midnight and there was a cop car and two paddy wagons pulled up at the crossroads. Saw an ambulance heading in that way too so hopefully there wasn't anyone badly hurt.

Brother just put up a post on Facebook about there being a lot of fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Seemingly some trouble in town tonight. Passed through on the way home from work at midnight and there was a cop car and two paddy wagons pulled up at the crossroads. Saw an ambulance heading in that way too so hopefully there wasn't anyone badly hurt.

Brother just put up a post on Facebook about there being a lot of fighting.

Yeah, my daughter had a comment ”Bad night” on hers - will find out when she wakes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Talking to a couple of bouncers and they said last night was one of the worst nights in a long time. John Street was blocked off at one stage, no taxis allowed up it even. Fighting al over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

mini riot by all accounts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Hoffmans wrote: »
    mini riot by all accounts

What did they expect? really. I'm glad I got out of Waterford. What a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

When I was leaving Shortt's there seemed to be a big Garda presence on John St. Didn't see any trouble out though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

AdMMM wrote: »
    When I was leaving Shortt's there seemed to be a big Garda presence on John St. Didn't see any trouble out though...

Id echo the mini riot comment, from what Im told thats an accurate description of John Street last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

AdMMM wrote: »
    You must have been causing it so! :pac:

Here's a pic a mate of mine took in town last night. Looks like they started a session of "Rock the Boat".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Dip****s altogether!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wtf like? Why do we keep allowing this EVERY year? There seems to always be trouble, not just in Waterford, with events like this. I wonder had the amount of gigs in local pubs/clubs had an effect on how this all went down?

Every year its denial, blaming others, wasn't WIT students, RAG week is all about charity, we raised loads, don't mind the **** heads etc. and we just seem to let it happen year after year.

Stop the event happening on this scale in future. Any dip**** that steps out of line on the night should not be told "naughty boy/girl" and should be swiftly dealt with in the courts, first time or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I can understand chanting and arsing around, happens the whole time, but to start chucking barriers and cones into crowds and at each other? You must have screws loose to think thats 'all part of the craic'.

You can dispute stories and reports all you want, but theres 5 videos of it there.

I agree with you Sully, although I love the premise and thought behind RAG week. Some people just have zero regard for others and unfortunately mob mentality ensues and this kind of crap can happen. Why are the lads throwing stuff into the crowd not detained in a cell right now? I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Jesus Christ! I must have had the blinkers on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

That is such scumbag behaviour.

Also, what sort of idiots allow themselves to be filmed (and there are plenty of people knowingly talking into the camera) while doing something like that??

I assume any of the people clearly identifiable as engaging in criminal behaviour there will or have been arrested and will be charged accordingly, that's the only way to deal with this.

On another note, as a female, I am so embarrassed for some of the girls in those videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

dont forget that these POOR STUDENTS will all be out protesting soon about colleges fees etc. Their poor mammies and daddies are killed from working in order to put them through college etc etc etc

Advertisement