Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WITSU Rag Week 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

The sense of the amazing time they are having in the voices of the participants that you can pick up on the recording is mystifying. It seems like this could be the highlight of their obviously eventless lives to date. Bunch of fools.

Fair play to the one guy who helped one of the guards pick up a barrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ah sure they were just letting their hair down, blowing off some steam etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Mob mentality is a dangerous thing, didnt look like anyone was injured on one of the videos I looked at but with throwing around cones and barriers its just pure luck that nobody seemed to get hurt, no business windows broken etc.

What is actually going to be done about it though? rhetorical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

those brennans trucks do be out early. today's bread today is right.

thats the most polite 'riot' ever in fairness. they even helped tidy up.

The gob****e who recorded the long video is quite proud of it anyway! - heres his youtube channel if anyone wants to talk to him http://www.youtube.com/user/loughman4life and as I have plenty of time on my hands today http://www.facebook.com/loughman4life

Polite riot or not I'm sure it wouldnt be pleasant to be around if you werent involved with the other numpties. they dont own the town, they cant just do what they like and it is not acceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Well done to the morons who yet again make a show of themselves. Surely all this rag week nonsense will now be banned in future years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 5 and 7

lol legends

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

kryogen wrote: »
    The gob****e who recorded the long video is quite proud of it anyway! - heres his youtube channel if anyone wants to talk to him http://www.youtube.com/user/loughman4life and as I have plenty of time on my hands today http://www.facebook.com/loughman4life

Polite riot or not I'm sure it wouldnt be pleasant to be around if you werent involved with the other numpties. they dont own the town, they cant just do what they like and it is not acceptable behaviour.

Better again, the numpty states that he works at "Daddy's" which I presume means his father's company - I'm sure an email to his father's company of his son's videoing prowess would go down well in Tullamore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Bloody fools. Luckily shop-fronts weren't damaged and that no-one was seriously hurt (from what I've heard). There will have to be some sort of discussion on where to go from here. Gardai, WIT and the nightclubs will have to enter into some talks, nip this sh/te in the bud before the next "student" event gets out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Most of those videos are ok with drunk lads jumping around and singing a bit but to start throwing traffic cones etc around is seriously reckless. My brother said he nearly got taken out by one at one stage.

What the videos don't show is the numerous fights that were seemingly breaking out all over the place.

I had to get petrol in the Maxol on the Cork road at midnight and there were two lads pissed out of their brains. I can only hope they weren't heading into town. A girl then arrived in a taxi and hadn't a clue what was going on. She left in the same taxi and, again, I hope she wasn't going into town but she was done up like she was so who knows. I know people are like that every weekend but not at midnight before they even go near town. The problem with RAG week nationwide is that a large number of people get like this and the problem locally is that they all converge on the same place at closing time.

Just looking at that guys YouTube profile, his hero is John Lennon... hmmm, sure he would have approved. The lads spelling leaves a lot to be desired too, and he is a 1st Year in College... I despair :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'll state the popular message, they are among a minority of idiots who cause trouble.

Put it this way, the student population of UCC, UCD and Trinity College is larger than the total population of Waterford. If even 1% of students from those colleges behaved poorly one a night out in Dublin or Cork you're talking about a massive problem for the Gardai.

However, I have attended two different Universities, and been to a number of Rag weeks in my student days, and I always got the impression that the WIT students were more wild and messy than other places I'd been. Just my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Dopes, with their stupid soccer chants. None of them are from Waterford. Blow ins can piss off back to whatever backwards county they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

5 and 7 wrote: »
    lol legends

looks like some buzz tho in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_Ot7swuBY

Haha the lad who puts the cone on his head is some character!

I'm going to try and contact him to see if we can be mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yeah real buzz wrecking the place :rolleyes: pitty that Brennans truck didnt plough threw them, This is what happens when clubs are close at the same time and are so close to each other. Its a nightmare driving threw that sqaure with drunking idiots all over the place and the Guards to busy chatting up women to get them off the road, That entrance to the foundry is in a very bad spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Should be talking about it on WLR in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Out of interest how is Templars hall fairing this week? I expected Marshall law by this this stage of the week...

5 and 7 wrote: »
    lol legends
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_Ot7swuBY

Haha the lad who puts the cone on his head is some character!

I'm going to try and contact him to see if we can be mates.

p!ss off :mad:

batm!ke wrote: »
    p!ss off :mad:

What's up dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kaedan

Listening on WLR now. Student union guy well able to handle the situation anyway. Very political I have to say!

• Advertisement

What's up dude?

The other two are pure trolling, you were joking tho, right? ...right?!! :eek:

batm!ke wrote: »
    The other two are pure trolling, you were joking tho, right? ...right?!! :eek:

I don't joke.

I'm after contacting him through facebook already, we're meeting up for a pizza later and then out to Tramore for a cone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

ziedth wrote: »
    Out of interest how is Templars hall fairing this week? I expected Marshall law by this this stage of the week...

I'm not sure where Templars Hall is Ziedth but I was at the cinema last night and the student accommodation in the area, opposite Tesco, was quite noisy but there seemed to be some sort of security guard at the entrance (beside the pizza place), at least he looked like a security guard, was standing at the gate with what looked like an ear piece in so although there is "security" in place there (although I don't know how one security guard would manage if things did get out of hand) it didn't seem to be helping with the noise levels, students drinking on the street and generally making a nuisance of themselves in the surrounding areas so I'm not really sure what this guy's purpose was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'll state the popular message, they are among a minority of idiots who cause trouble.

Put it this way, the student population of UCC, UCD and Trinity College is larger than the total population of Waterford. If even 1% of students from those colleges behaved poorly one a night out in Dublin or Cork you're talking about a massive problem for the Gardai.

However, I have attended two different Universities, and been to a number of Rag weeks in my student days, and I always got the impression that the WIT students were more wild and messy than other places I'd been. Just my take on it anyway.

I'm assuming you mean the total of UCC, UCD and Trinity students is greater than the population of Waterford city, yeah?

WIT RAG week does seem to be particularly messy. As I said, I think it's because everyone converges in the same place at closing time after a day of drinking. In other colleges and universities, there will be one main SU event in one place and then the other clubs and pubs are on other streets so it's not as focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

No one ever gets punished, no lesson is ever learned. Every year it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean the total of UCC, UCD and Trinity students is greater than the population of Waterford city, yeah?

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I usually hold pretty strong opinions on things that go to far and cause problems, e.g I condemn the shíte out of the absolute scum at templars hall.

But this isn't overly too bad in my opinion.
    Its mostly just chanting and jumping around aside from the several fools at the start chucking barriers around which didnt escalate or last too long, thankfully. I feel more embarrassed for the way people are acting in the video than anything, they just come across as immature idiots. I wouldn't get too upset over it, just a bit wild is all.

I havent watched all the videos so correct me if I'm wrong.

Plenty happened that wasnt on those videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

kryogen wrote: »
    Plenty happened that wasnt on those videos

Yeah I imagine so. But what was shown in the video didn't seem all that bad. Aside from the plastic barriers it didn't show anything being damaged or anyone being hurt, and the Gardai didn't seem to have a struggle on their hands much.

What happened that wasnt shown on the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

dlofnep wrote: »
    Dopes, with their stupid soccer chants. None of them are from Waterford. Blow ins can piss off back to whatever backwards county they came from.

Not from Waterford?

Arent they the lucky ones??

Advertisement