Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WITSU Rag Week 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Nypd wrote: »
    Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups

Hats off to the tits that started the work during rag week, the title of the video is ridiculous, riots my arse

So people have to organise the road work around students drinking habits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Sound's like NYPD has a vested intrest in johnstown being full of druken students and locals alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take a look at whats going on in the cities main entertainment strip before one starts digging up the place now does it ?
    A bit of forward planning wouldn't have hurt !

How have you come to the conclusion that I have a vested intrest in streets full of students Giles ???
    I started this thread because it was a good line up for rag week and Waterford.
    It provided a much needed boost to our economy and might open the eyes of the establishments that entertainment just might be the way to attract crowds.
    In fairness Maverick Sabre(A short gig but it was still good to get a chance to see him), Sash, Judge Jules and Original Rude boys all in one week.
    Just looking at Facebook this week showed that it was not just students that were excited about the lineup lots of locals enjoyed it.

Sully wrote: »
    Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups

Hats off to the tits that started the work during rag week, the title of the video is ridiculous, riots my arse
    xFROSTY Gx wrote: »

Clearly not.

Did you read the piece ?
    Did you see the part were it said the majority of arrests were not students ?
    I see now why you insist on links being provided before ppl start speculating ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did you read the piece ?
    I see now why you insist on links being provided before ppl start speculating ;)

Take of those rose tinted glasses, the article says no such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

ADDED THU 16TH FEB 201211 people were arrested for public order offences in Waterford City last night.

Large crowds were in the regions capital for Rag Week events - however the majority of those arrested were not WIT students

All have since been released

That's what the article says...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

kryogen wrote: »
    Plenty happened that wasnt on those videos
    This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

batm!ke wrote: »

ADDED THU 16TH FEB 201211 people were arrested for public order offences in Waterford City last night.

Large crowds were in the regions capital for Rag Week events - however the majority of those arrested were not WIT students

Ye because they say they are not students so the college don't find out !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've seen a lot of rag weeks in my time and I have to say I've been very surprised by the reaction to this one. Waterford, thankfully, is a slow news city. Shows like billy mcarthy's and Ian noctor's are desperate for material and until those videos showed up on you tube they didn't have a whole lot.

First off let me say that if that volume of people spilled on to the streets on a Saturday night, the army would eventually be brought in. Look at that video and see how the guards are not too worried about what's going on.

They say that we never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. Students get excited about being around other students, especially away from home, and they act like 12 year olds. In the most part, 12 year olds are a nuisance, but they're not dangerous.

Over reacting to events like this give the city a bad name. Yes they acted like clowns but with the volume of crowd that was there...that's not too bad.

Did you read the piece ?

It says exactly that !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

people giving out about the roadworks!! these barriers were up last weekend and were,nt even nudged until a few immature students think its cool to start trashing the place during the week!!! these are obviously the same students that live in templars hall who are giving the residents out there HELL with there immature antics while drunk!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I've seen a lot of rag weeks in my time and I have to say I've been very surprised by the reaction to this one. Waterford, thankfully, is a slow news city. Shows like billy mcarthy's and Ian noctor's are desperate for material and until those videos showed up on you tube they didn't have a whole lot.

First off let me say that if that volume of people spilled on to the streets on a Saturday night, the army would eventually be brought in. Look at that video and see how the guards are not too worried about what's going on.

They say that we never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. Students get excited about being around other students, especially away from home, and they act like 12 year olds. In the most part, 12 year olds are a nuisance, but they're not dangerous.

Over reacting to events like this give the city a bad name. Yes they acted like clowns but with the volume of crowd that was there...that's not too bad.

What a load of sH*t ,Try doing security for rag week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

a friend of mine works a day job with one of the bouncers of the fast food places, and said bouncer thought the exact same thing.
    he said that it was mainly just overexcited students having the craic and there wasnt any real problems from what he saw, but that he shuddered to think of what would happen if it was a saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I drove through John Street at about 3.30 am on Wednesday. I was stuck at the traffic lights for a while, and the students in the taxi next to me rolled down their windows (mine was down too I was smoking) and proceeded to tell me that one of my back lights was gone, I had a flaking car but it probably ates petrol, recommended a bit of work on the mirrors and had a short, drunken and sweet conversation about how you should never try to pull during Rag Week because it only ends in tears.

I was in bits laughing by the time I pulled away. It's not all bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

batm!ke wrote: »

Yup, not denying that part re; WIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't bother to watch the longer vids, did any of the burds flash their tits?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Disco D

How can anyone claim this was simply students acting like clowns? I witnessed students walking away with bloodied faces, damage to Revolutions (bar around the corner) and bottles being hurled at the guards on the Thursday night.

I'm embarrassed to be associated with the college being a student in WIT. Claiming that those arrested weren't from the college is no excuse. Would the people arrested be in the town were it not to see friends in the college and to participate in RAG week?

RAG week should end now, surely there are better ways of raising money than providing moronic fools with an excuse to drink and behave in an idiotic fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Disco D wrote: »

RAG week should end now, surely there are better ways of raising money than providing moronic fools with an excuse to drink and behave in an idiotic fashion?

Couldn't agree more. An excuse for students/young people who are friends with students to annoy anyone they can (more so than usual, I mean). Students do not help their own reputation by being drunken, DOWNRIGHT STUPID IDIOTS. How dare students complain that there is violence against them/everyone judges them. The last week is exactly why. It is depressing to think these people are the 'future' of the country (HA!), and that they have to tar the reputation of normal people like the above poster.

I was always under the impression you went to college to get smarter, not the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

CuriousG wrote: »

I was always under the impression you went to college to get smarter, not the opposite.

that you went to smarter to get college? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think the main problem with these events isn't really the students alone, at least not WIT Students. As with all RAG Weeks, it brings with it an extra large crowd. When you have big acts, or some decent bands/events on - people who are not just WIT Students want to get in on all the craic.

It means that the event will attract people who are not just WIT Students. The events are to the public, not WIT Students. You have an increased WIT crowd, plus the "rent a crowd" - friends of WIT Students. You have plenty of people from Waterford (City & County) who will head out for the night also. You then have people who wouldn't normally go to Waterford but decide to get together to head down for the events.

RAG Week is never just the usual Waterford crew mixed with local students. It pulls in people from afar, and this isn't just a WIT problem. In this case, we have people arrested who were not from WIT. The same applies to the WIT Christmas Day.

What could be done? For starters, limiting it to WIT Students who have valid WIT Cards. Perhaps allowing a +1. It would cut down on the numbers in Waterford and reduce the risk of trouble but it impacts on the profits the clubs/pubs make and the money raised for charity. An other idea would be to close the pubs early, or stagger the closing times so its not a free for all. Also, when you do have large gathering of people just sitting around vomiting/doing nothing useful - the Guards should move them on. Get your food, get into your taxi, and leave. No loitering. Its so easy for one fight to turn into a brawl when you have a crowd of drunk idiots. Reducing the numbers on the street would be a big help and it wouldn't be a big drag on Garda resources.

Indeed an important one, I think, would be a harder line probably being taken by the Guards. Not just slapping them on the wrist and sending them on their way. What good does that do? How does that stop people when they know they will get away with it anyway?

A hard line from the college - if you step out of line, you will face the consequences. Not an empty threat, make it known that it does happen. From the WITSU - a drink aware campaign. Students haven't a bulls notion half of the time on how to control their drink intake so its a good idea regardless of RAG Week. It might curb the students who do go out and get into a mess, even if they don't end up getting arrested which is usually in worst case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I completely agree with you there, the majority of people who get arrested at these "WIT" events are usually not WIT students, they're normally the local scummers or blow-ins for the night.
    What could be done? For starters, limiting it to WIT Students who have valid WIT Cards. Perhaps allowing a +1. It would cut down on the numbers in Waterford and reduce the risk of trouble but it impacts on the profits the clubs/pubs make and the money raised for charity. An other idea would be to close the pubs early, or stagger the closing times so its not a free for all. Also, when you do have large gathering of people just sitting around vomiting/doing nothing useful - the Guards should move them on. Get your food, get into your taxi, and leave. No loitering. Its so easy for one fight to turn into a brawl when you have a crowd of drunk idiots. Reducing the numbers on the street would be a big help and it wouldn't be a big drag on Garda resources.

The thing about loitering is, it has to meet the following criteria:

Section 8(1)(b) of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994:

without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

Now, that's grand for those causing a problem, but it doesn't apply to someone just sitting on the side of the street. They're entitled to sit there until whatever time they want, and the Gardai cannot move them on if they are not causing an annoyance.
    Indeed an important one, I think, would be a harder line probably being taken by the Guards. Not just slapping them on the wrist and sending them on their way. What good does that do? How does that stop people when they know they will get away with it anyway?

Again, law dictates that someone arrested for Section 4 or 5 (the most common: drunk in public and disorderly conduct) of the same Public Order Act states that they get a fixed charge, no longer a court appearance. There's nothing that can be done about that, unless they commit a more serious offence (in the eyes of the law), then it's dealt with in court. I believe the court have a lot to do in regards to this too, however Judge Kennedy in Waterford does get very appropriate and heavy fines for public order offences.
    A hard line from the college - if you step out of line, you will face the consequences. Not an empty threat, make it known that it does happen. From the WITSU - a drink aware campaign. Students haven't a bulls notion half of the time on how to control their drink intake so its a good idea regardless of RAG Week. It might curb the students who do go out and get into a mess, even if they don't end up getting arrested which is usually in worst case anyway.

This would work for WIT sponsored events in WIT controlled events. But, a persons arrest is covered by data protection laws and the Gardai cannot inform the employers or college of someones arrest.

I know what you're trying to get at though, something should be done. And i honestly believe that the best start is to have all food outlets close at 2am sharp. Some of them stay open until 4. Of course people are going to hang around if there is something to do. If all those places were closed, the street would be dead and people would feck off home. It would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

mike65 wrote: »
    Didn't bother to watch the longer vids, did any of the burds flash their tits?

On here for a few years id say and that is the single funniest/greatest post yet. Mike65, I take my hat off to you.

I suppose we got our answer as to what would happen if a college blocked RAG Week.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/02/23/they-want-to-cancel-rag-week-in-galway/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I suppose we got our answer as to what would happen if a college blocked RAG Week.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/02/23/they-want-to-cancel-rag-week-in-galway/
    Wow, what a gigantic bunch of slack jawed morons.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Wow, what a gigantic bunch of slack jawed morons.

They weren't students. Had nothing to do with the respective colleges.

Its all afigment of your imagination. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

holy fcuk!!!!! and there the future, god help us everybody!!!!

Looks chaotic alright, it's a big place in Eyre Sq, couldn't have been a pleasent expierence for the staff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

holy fcuk!!!!! and there the future, god help us everybody!!!!

The future always looks scary when drunk on Daddys money. *wasn't like that when I was a student* etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The solution as far as i'm concerned is have all food outlets closed at 1am the latest. No where to go + no food for drunk idiots = fooking off home for toast and burning the house down.

Advertisement