Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa to America - study/work

Options
  • 05-02-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm not sure where to start but basically I've been thinking about going to America after the leaving cert. I'm repeating at the moment and in all honesty I won't be able to afford college in september. A few people in my school are going to the states to work for the summer or travel but is there any way of going for a year?

I'm sorry in advance if I sound really ignorant on the subject but I guess I am! Any information at all would be so helpful, it really would! Any thing on visas, working, college in america, accomadation etc. I just don't know where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Right out of secondary school would make it very tough to secure a visa........might I suggest signing up on the site www.visajourney.com

There's plenty of experts on there that are very helpful when it comes to answering questions. If it wasn't for them, I'd have never made it through the visa process.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If you can't afford college here, you definitely won't be able to afford it in the US, no free fees there!!
    Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

It was cheaper for me to pursue a graduate degree in Ireland than it was to pay out of state tuition fees at the local university in Seattle.

As a non-state resident and an international student, you will be a source of potential revenue for any college that you attend. You may be able to afford to attend one or two college courses but I doubt that you will be able to afford being a full-time student without the benefit of several scholarships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

If you are female (and I'm sure males do this too, although it is rather unusual) I would highly recommend working as an au-pair in the US if you want to go for a full year. There is a group called aupairinamerica who look very promising- the only catch is that you need a full driver's licence.

Best of luck

Advertisement