Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving the UPC Thomson Router Upstairs??

• 05-02-2012 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I've the thomson router on 100mb line. Wireless never gets above 50mb so not great for hi def video streaming. If I cat5 to modem I get speeds of 11.5MB, with wireless only 4.5MB.

Current the upc comes in to the house in the sitting room downstairs - the Thomson is connected to the upc white box on the wall with 1m coax they supplied.

Next to this white box is a faceplate with coax going into attic (previous owners had chorus mmds antennae)

Would this coax be ok to connect to the upc white box on wall using an f connector, dropping coax from the attic into office room upstairs and connecting Thomson router to this coax and then cat5 to desktop?

Basically is this coax ok to carry the signal? Or is it like pstn dsl where the length of the dsl cable affects the speed/sync?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

nobody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Much easier solution is to buy a wifi N device. Get 300mbps max then, and much better signal strength than with old wifi.

The coax may not be ok unless UPC hook it up. Can't necessarily use old wiring, they will charge you 50 quid to install the second port. Solution above is better.

I have wireless but lots of wireless interference in my area. N only gets me 130MB and drops a lot. anyway is the lan not gigabit on thomson

You can disable wifi on the upc supplied router. Then take your own wifi router and connect to upc box via ethernet.

Wifi N should not be dropping. Set a channel different from your neighbours, set router to N only mode (not A+B+G+N). Set DHCP server to run on second router, not the upc box. Wifi "dropping" could be because of the upc router rebooting all the time as they seem to like to. Your internet might go down, but your lan shouldn't. Move microwave/cordless phone AWAY from the router, and away from it's line propagation to clients if possible.

Some older gear won't work with wifi N, but you can just use the original upc box as a second wifi for old gear.

"N only gets me 130mbps" - this is fine, coz your internet is only 100mbps.

Yes the lan on the router is 1Gbps, you can use this too. Wifi N works grand for me tho, amazing signal and speed.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You can disable wifi on the upc supplied router. Then take your own wifi router and connect to upc box via ethernet.

Wifi N should not be dropping. Set a channel different from your neighbours, set router to N only mode (not A+B+G+N). Set DHCP server to run on second router, not the upc box. Wifi dropping could be because of the upc router rebooting all the time as they seem to like to.

Some older gear won't work with wifi N, but you can just use the original upc box as a second wifi for old gear.

"N only gets me 130mbps" - this is fine, coz your internet is only 100mbps.

no the thomson router does not reboot/connection does not drop - it is just the wireless. I've an airport extreme and tried what u said above. get 130MB/150MB max. I appreciate my max speed is 100mb for wan but LAN video streaming is not limited t 130/150MB

• Advertisement

Many people report problems with apple gear: http://appletoolbox.com/2010/11/mac-os-x-10-6-5-airportwifi-connection-drops-repeatedly-fix/ Note wifi N has many proprietary versions, I wouldn't try to use apple airport with non-apple clients.

Wifi N should give you a rock solid connection, I stream videos from media server here at 300mbps. If you have problems then either you have bad access point, or bad clients. I doubt your problems are down to interference. There are other manufacturers that are crap as well ofc, not just apple :)

Try upgrading the firmware on your airport. If it still keeps dropping then get it replaced coz its faulty.

Many people report problems with apple gear: http://appletoolbox.com/2010/11/mac-os-x-10-6-5-airportwifi-connection-drops-repeatedly-fix/

Wifi N should give you a rock solid connection, I stream videos from media server here at 300mbps. If you have problems then either you have bad access point, or bad clients. I doubt your problems are down to interference. There are other manufacturers that are crap as well ofc, not just apple :)

I bring my laptop and apple router to my mother's house and get 300 sync over wireless and gigabit over cable. Not an equipment fault here mate. Incidentaly I work for an ISP and am more than familiar with people's issues with wireless. I just want to know if the existing cable I have will be ok with upc 100mb

Your other port may be on a different circuit or have different type of socket. Most places I've been in could never reuse the old cable sockets, upc use a newer system. Always had to get them to install a new socket.

But yeah it should be a simple diy job, or could pay upc 50 quid to do it.

Your other port may be on a different circuit or have different type of socket. Most places I've been in could never reuse the old cable sockets, upc use a newer system. Always had to get them to install a new socket.

But yeah it should be a simple diy job, or could pay upc 50 quid to do it.

my other point is not on any circuit. faceplate - cable in wall going into attic connected to nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

r is it like pstn dsl where the length of the dsl cable affects the speed/sync?

Coax has a much greater attenuation range then cat5e so you dont have to worry about signal loss provided the Coax is of a decent quality.

• Advertisement

Coax has a much greater attenuation range then cat5e so you dont have to worry about signal loss provided the Coax is of a decent quality.

can't see any rating on the coax. black with white core, foil wrapped. it did carry mmds tv previously. If ok for satellite tv then surely ok for the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I've the thomson router on 100mb line. Wireless never gets above 50mb so not great for hi def video streaming. If I cat5 to modem I get speeds of 11.5MB, with wireless only 4.5MB.

Current the upc comes in to the house in the sitting room downstairs - the Thomson is connected to the upc white box on the wall with 1m coax they supplied.

Next to this white box is a faceplate with coax going into attic (previous owners had chorus mmds antennae)

Would this coax be ok to connect to the upc white box on wall using an f connector, dropping coax from the attic into office room upstairs and connecting Thomson router to this coax and then cat5 to desktop?

Basically is this coax ok to carry the signal? Or is it like pstn dsl where the length of the dsl cable affects the speed/sync?

before you do all that is all the wifi network cards on your computers the 54mb G type or are they the faster 300mb N type cards?

moving your router closer to the computer with only g type 54mb/s wifi cards wont get you any higher than the wifi card's limit of 54mb/s

replace any 54mb/s g type wifi card/dongle you have with a newer faster 300mb/s n type card/dongle and you will get the full speed your router can output.

here is an example of a 300mb/s N type wifi card http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1789911/art/trendnet/tew-643pi-wireless-300-mb.html

also download and run this free app InSSIDer to find out what frequency channels all the wifi routers in range are using and set your router's frequency channel number to one that is not being used by the other wifi routers... this will reduce the interference and get you closer to the full 300mb/s speeds

before you do all that is all the wifi network cards on your computers the 54mb G type or are they the faster 300mb N type cards?

moving your router closer to the computer with only g type 54mb/s wifi cards wont get you any higher than the wifi card's limit of 54mb/s

replace any 54mb/s g type wifi card/dongle you have with a newer faster 300mb/s n type card/dongle and you will get the full speed your router can output.

yes all are N type and sync at N speeds in different locations.

yes all are N type and sync at N speeds in different locations.

also download and run this free app InSSIDer to find out what frequency channels all the wifi routers in range are using and set your router's frequency channel number to one that is not being used by the other wifi routers... this will reduce the interference and get you closer to the full 300mb/s speeds

did you try that?

did you try that?

I work for an ISP and do that stuff all day. I only need to know if the coax is ok and perhaps it is........thanks

I work for an ISP and do that stuff all day. I only need to know if the coax is ok and perhaps it is........thanks

your best option is to try it... if it doesnt work you can always set it back the way it was before. Just make sure you use the screw type connections for the coaxial as the older type sucks for signal quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Yes Coax is fine, we used it for the internet backbone before fibre optic became the norm ;) Its actually better for transmission then cat5e it's just harder to work with. if it's the same as the UPC coax (thickness wise I mean) then it's grand. If it's thin and 'floppy' like old school TV cable then it's not. As you said if it can carry digital TV signal then it can carry Digital internet signal, it's all the same to the cable.

Advertisement