Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions to make our garden fencing more private?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

We bought our house during the boom and unfortunately the builder did not put much effort into the fencing (or the sound proofing or anything at all to do with the house but that's another story :-) )

The gap between the wooden slats on the fence running parallel to the ground is quite large so there is a lack of privacy when we are out in our back and I was hoping to do something about it this year before the summer comes.

The pic linked shows the view to the side of our patio.
    http://imgur.com/AWMpZ,IVzKB#0

Can anyone recommend the easiest way to make the fencing more private?
    I was thinking of nailing a section of fitted plywood onto each section but the fence itself is quite thin and I don't want nails going through into the neighbours.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be inclined to put a trellis up against it and plant an evergreen clematis or Jasmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

kylith wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to put a trellis up against it and plant an evergreen clematis or Jasmine.

Thx.
    I had thought of that as I bought and put a Jasmine in a large pot last summer but i think the area it would need to cover is very large and it would take a few years for it to cover it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Most of those fence panels have a fairly short life due to a lack of maintainance, they are easily replaced by sliding them up out of the grooves in the posts.
    Replacing them with ones to give more privacy is a reverse of the removal.
    Before you fit new panels lay them on the ground and give them a few liberal coats of wood preserver to increase their lifespan.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Most of those fence panels have a fairly short life due to a lack of maintainance, they are easily replaced by sliding them up out of the grooves in the posts.
    Replacing them with ones to give more privacy is a reverse of the removal.
    Before you fit new panels lay them on the ground and give them a few liberal coats of wood preserver to increase their lifespan.

Unfortunately thee fences have no slots\grooves, all they are is planks of wood that are nailed to the vertical stanchions :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Sorry, I did'nt see that you had timber posts, if your neighbor feels the same they might share the cost of new panels, if not you could nail new ones to your side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What about tacking a bamboo sreen over it? Something like this.

kylith wrote: »
    What about tacking a bamboo sreen over it? Something like this.

Not a bad idea at all thanks, hadn't crossed my mind.
    I'm gonna call into B&Q during the week and get pricing on both wood panels and bamboo screening.

Advertisement