Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy question!

Options
  • 05-02-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi boards..I work for a well known English retail chain, that have stores in Ireland, Iv been told one of our stores has 1 month trading time left before its going to be closed down! (Ireland) .. I hear our store could be next hit..So Im just wondering where I would stand on Redundancy payments.. Im aware of the two weeks state paid redundancy, But Im wondering if the company would have to pay redundancy also? as they will comtinue to trade in there Uk stores. so its not like they are going belly up! i have 19 years with the company! .. thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

nialeon wrote: »
    Im aware of the two weeks state paid redundancy,
    That's two weeks per year of service plus 1 week which is 39 weeks pay for you. And it's the employer who pays it not the state (except in case of bankruptcy).
    But Im wondering if the company would have to pay redundancy also?
    They wouldn't have to pay anything above the statutory minimum of 2 weeks per year, however it's not unknown for a more generous redundancy package to be agreed especially if it's a voluntary redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They might also just offer you the option to transfer to a nearby store and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nialeon

cheers for that. thanks for clearing the confusion for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Op just to let you know you're two weeks statutory entitlement is up to a ceiling of 600e a week. So if you are earning over that your statutory entitlement will only go up to 600. While it is possible that your employer might offer you more favorable terms it is probably better to calculate the minimum you get so that you can be prepared if the lowest offer comes through.

Advertisement