Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reported post in Learning to drive, heard nothing back

Options
  • 05-02-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I recently reported a post on the the learning to drive forum. A poster had asked a question and as on occasion in these types of threads (questioning actions of a Garda) a derogatory comment was made, as in the Guard was a 'p****'; not too bad a comment, but as I said in my report ok(ish) on after hours but not on the learning to drive forum.

The learning to drive forum is an excellent aid to learner drivers and also to those of us who on occasion have given lessons to niece's and nephew's. The post I reported was in my opinion! unhelpfull and in my reply to it, I gave my opinion and asked the poster to amend their comment. They didn't; so I reported it. I'm not been an old fogey hopefully, but I believe that to allow such a comment about a Garda who was simply enforcing the most basic of learner driver rules, does not really set a good example for a forum which should be encouraging respect for all rules of the road.

It therefore surprised me that the comment about the Garda (against forum charter) and even more importantly the opinion, that's it 'ok' (not taken seriously) to drive without a full licence holder which is again against forum charter have not been acted upon.

If a Mod upon reading my report thought that I was a bit over the top in my questioning that's fair enough, but should I not have a least got a responce to my report and their reasons for not acting upon it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    If a Mod upon reading my report thought that I was a bit over the top in my questioning that's fair enough, but should I not have a least got a responce to my report and their reasons for not acting upon it.

There are approx. 250 reported posts every day. Moderators simply don't have the time to reply to each and every one of them, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm afraid Tom is correct. If we get a report in, for example, the Emergency Services forum, we'll look at the actual post, and decide whether it needs moderation, and then leave a comment on the Reported Posts forum on whether we've looked at it, and if it needed moderation, what moderation the post or poster received.

We don't have time to PM the actual person who clicked the "Report Post" icon because there's just not enough time. We have to read every post in every forum we moderate, and then go look at all the Reported Posts our forum(s) have received. Bear in mind that just like you, we're unpaid volunteers, and for that, we get more complaints than we do compliments.

Since this is a general issue you have with the site rules, or how the site is run, and not due to a moderator's action or inaction in accordance with moderator rules, I'm going to move it to Feedback where you may, if you wish, respond to mine or Tom's post, and where others may comment on the issue you have raised should they wish to do so.

Moved from the Help Desk to Feedback with redirect expiring in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Thanks guys, I had thought that the post is either amended as per the report or not and reasons are explained to the reporter, my bad. I'll admit that I had thought that the post concerned broke two of the charter rules but that was my opinion and obviously not the Mod's concerned as the post remains.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I saw the reported post, but didn't act as it's in a subforum and we try not to step on each others toes.

I will say, however, that reporting the post is sufficient. Issuing instructions on-thread to another poster could be taken up wrong or considered to be backseat modding.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I PM'd the OP there, thought I'd update this as well.

This was my fault, I was away all last weekend doing a charity cycle and forgot to check the reported posts from that weekend when I came back, and only dealt with the few I got after that.

I've dealt with it now (a long delay, sorry!).

I explained this to the OP but to anyone else reading: Thanks for reporting the post - it really does make modding easier, and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions/complaints - I only noticed this Feedback thread by chance!

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I had thought that the post is either amended as per the report or not and reasons are explained to the reporter, my bad.
    This is generally what I would do - if I felt the reported post warranted action, I would do what I had to do without PM'ing. If I didn't think it needed any action, I would PM the OP quickly saying that the report has been received, and why I didn't feel action was necessary. This one just got overlooked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement