Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the poor be allowed to sell their kidneys?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Some follow ups, should they be allowed to sell their kids into slavery?, should they be allowed to rent out their spouses?, sell their daughters virginity?... NO,NO,NO,NO.

Hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

What a question! Some follow ups, should they be allowed to sell their kids into slavery?, should they be allowed to rent out their spouses?, sell their daughters virginity?...

NO,NO,NO,NO.

Well considering somebody owns their kidneys but doesn't own their spouse or kids they are pretty sh*t follow ups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Seachmall wrote: »
    One kidney is sufficient.

Unless you lose the other kidney. Which is always possible.
    Their location has little impact on their use as a commodity. I.e. They can be removed.

But that's a crucial point. Bodily integrity. The possibility of being forced to have your organ removed and your body violated.
    Similar to many raw materials themselves, and a non-issue given the demand/supply ratio.The availability will presumably always outweigh the demand

Why would you presume availability would outweigh demand. Anyway, the fact that it can't be made from raw materials means that you can't get it from any other source but a human being, that's the difference. You can make a table from plastic or glass or wood. A car can run on electricity or hydrogen or petrol. A kidney can be made...from a kidney. There are dialysis machines, but they're very imperfect substitutes.

Which is a perception only the person selling their kidney needs to deal with.

And again, my main point is that a person might be coerced into doing it involuntarily. But you think in practice it wouldn't happen, and I disagree. So I guess we just disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Weylin wrote: »
    i once new a chap who sold one lung,one kidney,one nut,,..........now he is half the man he used to be........sorry.....i will go now. :D

I see you sold your sense of humor:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

NO....... people should'nt be treated like animals to be harvested , because of their social standing.
    Poor people should sell their body parts to the wealthy,to pay their bills?.

You judge a society by the way they treat their poorest/weakest members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

andrew wrote: »
    Unless you lose the other kidney. Which is always possible.
    Possible, yes, but not a valid worry.
    But that's a crucial point. Bodily integrity. The possibility of being forced to have your organ removed and your body violated.
    *Choosing*.
    Why would you presume availability would outweigh demand.
    Iranian example.
    Anyway, the fact that it can't be made from raw materials means that you can't get it from any other source but a human being, that's the difference. You can make a table from plastic or glass or wood. A car can run on electricity or hydrogen or petrol. A kidney can be made...from a kidney. There are dialysis machines, but they're very imperfect substitutes.
    What about Oil? Gold? Diamonds?

They are raw-materials that can only be replicated to some degree of accuracy, but not reproduced.
    And again, my main point is that a person might be coerced into doing it involuntarily. But you think in practice it wouldn't happen, and I disagree. So I guess we just disagree.
    No, I'm saying the argument is a similar to arguing that because people can be coerced into selling their cars they shouldn't be allowed to sell their cars.

Your argument relies on viewing the kidney as something more than just a commodity, that's too subjective a view to argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

If things keep going the way they are pretty soon we will be the leading Kidney exporters in the world,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Similar to many raw materials themselves, and a non-issue given the demand/supply ratio.The availability will presumably always outweigh the demandWhich are negligible.
    Why would you presume availability would outweigh demand. Anyway, the fact that it can't be made from raw materials means that you can't get it from any other source but a human being, that's the difference. You can make a table from plastic or glass or wood. A car can run on electricity or hydrogen or petrol. A kidney can be made...from a kidney. There are dialysis machines, but they're very imperfect substitutes.

If the diamond trade is anything to go by, corporations could stockpile kidneys to push the price up (which would make sense if the target market was wealthy people), and cause demand to outweigh supply

If the diamond trade is anything to go by, corporations could stockpile kidneys to push the price up (which would make sense if the target market was wealthy people), and cause demand to outweigh supply

You wouldn't be selling your kidney to a third-party who would then sell it on for a profit. You could sell it directly to the recipient.

Similar to the English system where 2 donors who aren't a match to their family member/friend but are a match to each other's trade kidneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I've been mulling the idea of a freer market for kidney transplants over in my mind lately.There are plenty of people with money in the west who would gladly give a poor person from a poor country thousands of dollar$ for a kidney.

For someone from a poor country in, say, Africa earning a couple of dollars a day the cash return on a kidney could literally make them rich. A poor person who sold a kidney could buy a home with electricity and running water, put their children through school and basically increase the quality of his/her life hugely.

So what say ye?

No. Can you even imagine how even more f***ed up that would make the world? Do you think it would stop at willing adults? Families in the third world would be looting their childrens' bodies for organs to sell. **** me man it's not Cash in the Attic here. Do we extend this to Ireland where people would be essentially giving up their health for what would ultimately amount to a few quid or is it just for poor black Africans? Is there a refund policy if the kidney rejects? Is it even medically possible to have a 'return to sender' and have it reattached to the donor?

Sure why don't we just go one further. Let GlaxoSmithKline, or whatever they're called, just buy some of some poor African country, say Guinea, set up a research lab and give the people a few bob every day and perform drug tests on their Guinea pigs for whatever drugs they plan on selling at inflated prices to us superior Westerners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

People should have an inalienable right to bodily integrity. Someone is only going to do something like this out of desperation not choice.

If you go down this route you immediately create an underclass who are to be used for spare parts and a market for those parts.

You'd have people being compelled to sell organs and undergo terrible surgery in all sorts of impoverished societies.

It is fundamentally wrong on a lot of levels.

They need to look at getting more people who die to consider donating their organs to deal with the shortages. Getting people to sell bits of their bodies is just completely twisted.

As I pointed out in a previous post too, the knock-on effect would also possibly be a lifetime of ill-health due to loss of an organ or aftereffects of major surgery.

Removing an organ is also life-threatening and complex surgery. While you might risk this for a loved one, there is always a serious possibility of death on the table or afterwards. It's MAJOR surgery, we're not talking getting your tonsils our or dealing with an in-grown toenail here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Rich people would pay big money for a poor person's kidney as long as it was healthy and they were hungry enough.

Solair wrote: »
    Someone is only going to do something like this out of desperation not choice.

I would do it out of choice.

And desperation does not deny you a choice. Lack of options deny you a choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

No, I'm saying the argument is a similar to arguing that because people can be coerced into selling their cars they shouldn't be allowed to sell their cars.

No it's not. Because firstly, being coerced into selling your car isn't that bad. Secondly, if you didn't allow people to sell anything because of coercion, the world would grind to a halt. I'm merely putting forward a practical argument that we should prevent the possibility of coercion where possible, and as such shouldn't let people sell their kidneys. I really don't get why you think this requires me to justify banning the sale of everything.

No it's not. Because firstly, being coerced into selling your car isn't that bad.
    Neither is selling/donating your kidney.
    Secondly, if you didn't allow people to sell anything because of coercion, the world would grind to a halt. I'm merely putting forward a practical argument that we should prevent the possibility of coercion where possible, and as such shouldn't let people sell their kidneys. I really don't get why you think this requires me to justify banning the sale of everything.
    I don't require it, your argument does.

You're making an arbitrary distinction between a kidney and a more typical commodity.

• Advertisement

Neither is selling/donating your kidney

Again, my argument isn't about the principal of selling your kidney. My argument is about the negative things which happen when people can sell their kidneys. Do you understand?

I don't require it, your argument does.

Why does my argument require it?

Again, my argument isn't about the principal of selling your kidney. My argument is about the negative things which happen when people can sell their kidneys. Do you understand?
    That they can be coerced into selling it?
    Why does my argument require it?
    • Person A can be coerced into selling his kidney, therefore Person A should not be allowed to sell his kidney.
    • Person B can be coerced into selling his car, therefore Person B should not be allowed to sell his car.
    Unless you can show that a kidney is not equivalent to a car (in an ethical or market sense) these things logically follow.

That they can be coerced into selling it?

Do you understand that i'm not objecting to free will kidney donation?
    • Person A can be coerced into selling his kidney, therefore Person A should not be allowed to sell his kidney.
    • Person B can be coerced into selling his car, therefore Person B should not be allowed to sell his car.
    Unless you can show that a kidney is more than your typical commodity these things logically follow.

They don't logically follow, because being coerced into selling your kidney is different from being coerced into selling your car. If someone demanded your kidney or your car, would you really be indifferent between the two? Would you be indifferent between having your kidney stolen or your car stolen? Would you be indifferent between having a kidney fail and a car fail/break down? Are they really exactly the same in your mind?

They don't logically follow because by your logic, because we allow murder in war, then we should always allow murder. Because people can murder in self defence, we should always allow murder. Because we allow 20 year olds to drink, we should also allow 10 year olds to drink etc.

Specifically, I'm saying we should ban selling kidneys because it's potentially harmful and because we can. There's no similar reason to banning car sales, and we can't ban car sales. If i could ban all coercive sales I would, but right now I'm settling for wanting to ban a specific kind of sale, because it's feasible to do so.

Do you understand that i'm not objecting to free will kidney donation?
    Yes.
    They don't logically follow, because being coerced into selling your kidney is different from being coerced into selling your car. If someone demanded your kidney or your car, would you really be indifferent between the two? Would you be indifferent between having your kidney stolen or your car stolen? Would you be indifferent between having a kidney fail and a car fail/break down? Are they really exactly the same in your mind?
    You can't distinguish by worst case scenarios when those scenarios are not reasonable.

They're also subjective. Maybe I would rather give a thief my kidney than my €250,000 dream car.
    They don't logically follow because by your logic, because we allow murder in war, then we should always allow murder. Because people can murder in self defence, we should always allow murder. Because we allow 20 year olds to drink, we should also allow 10 year olds to drink etc.
    No, you're altering the conditions of those statements and as a result none of them logically follow.
    Specifically, I'm saying we should ban selling kidneys because it's potentially harmful and because we can. There's no similar reason to banning car sales, and we can't ban car sales. If i could ban all coercive sales I would, but right now I'm settling for wanting to ban a specific kind of sale, because it's feasible to do so.

You want to ban kidney sales because of the potential for coercion. Yet you won't ban car sales despite the fact coercion currently happens.

You are distinguishing between a kidney and a car based on subjective distinctions. Your distinctions are not necessarily.true for everybody. Clearly they're not true for me. Subjective views are not something that can be argued.

"Instinct often trumps logic. Sometimes that's right. But in this case, the instinct that selling bits of oneself is wrong leads to many premature deaths and much suffering. The logical answer, in this case, is the humane one." - Economist.com

Yes.
    You can't distinguish by worst case scenarios when those scenarios are not reasonable.

They're also subjective. Maybe I would rather give a thief my kidney than my €250,000 dream car.

No, you're altering the conditions of those statements and as a result none of them logically follow.

You want to ban kidney sales because of the potential for coercion. Yet you won't ban car sales despite the fact coercion currently happens.

You are distinguishing between a kidney and a car based on subjective distinctions. Your distinctions are not necessarily.true for everybody. Clearly they're not true for me. Subjective views are not something that can be argued.

"Instinct often trumps logic. Sometimes that's right. But in this case, the instinct that selling bits of oneself is wrong leads to many premature deaths and much suffering. The logical answer, in this case, is the humane one." - Economist.com

Sorry for taking ages to reply, it's quite a bump. Anyway....

Your case isn't actually logical here. A reductio ad absurdum argument like yours doesn't work when it's based upon a false dichotomy; your idea that either all potentially coercive transactions should be banned, or none of them be banned, is a logical fallacy. The fact is that there are shades of grey, in which some coercive transactions are worse than others, such that only some of them should be banned. Yes this is a subjective opinion, and subjective opinions are something that can be argued; most argument is based around subjective opinions. If your subjective opinion is that that selling your kidney is exactly the same as selling a car, I'd like to hear it; I think that's the issue here, not any kind of absurd logic.

• Advertisement

Sorry for taking ages to reply, it's quite a bump. Anyway....
    No bother, I'm always here anyway :pac:
    Your case isn't actually logical here. A reductio ad absurdum argument like yours doesn't work when it's based upon a false dichotomy; your idea that either all potentially coercive transactions should be banned, or none of them be banned, is a logical fallacy.

It's not a false dichotomy because I'm not forcing you to pick one or the other, obviously you could pick both or none but you'd have to explain your choice.

It's also not a reductio ad absurdum because I'm not trying to disprove your argument by using my "absurd" comparison.

What I'm trying to get is a clear objective distinction between a kidney and a car. If you can't provide that distinction then the argument fails on it's own.
    The fact is that there are shades of grey, in which some coercive transactions are worse than others, such that only some of them should be banned. Yes this is a subjective opinion,

That, in itself, is not subjective. It's completely true and I completely agree with it.

Instead of a kidney if we were discussing selling hearts this would be the perfect argument against it.

• Person A can be coerced into selling his heart, therefore Person A should not be allowed to sell his heart.

The distinction as to why a heart is not a commodity in the same way as a car can be made clear here because you require your heart to survive. Selling your heart results in your death whereas selling your car doesn't. Therefore they're not the same.

This distinction doesn't apply to kidneys, so you need to find one that does.
    and subjective opinions are something that can be argued; most argument is based around subjective opinions.
    Subjective opinions can't be argued. It's true most arguments are based on subjective opinions but then again, most arguments don't go anywhere.

You can't convince someone based on subjective opinions. Objectivity, on both sides, is required for that.
    If your subjective opinion is that that selling your kidney is exactly the same as selling a car, I'd like to hear it; I think that's the issue here, not any kind of absurd logic.

My argument as to why they're not different enough (not necessarily "exactly the same") to warrant outlawing one and not the other is as simple as this:

• They share all the characteristics of typical commodities with no discernible distinctions*.

It's not intuitive, I'll give you that, but it doesn't need to be. It is logical.

*A discernible distinction could be a massive negative impact on the seller, scarcity that threatens their existence etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

allowed to? Surely they should be obliged to, if you have a valuable asset that you dont require then your not poor.

Advertisement