Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where for good avocados?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Where's the best shop for ripe (or getting there) tasty avocados? preferably not at M&S prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I get mine in Superquinn's -- the ones that come in a tray of two. They're ready to eat straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I get mine in Superquinn's -- the ones that come in a tray of two. They're ready to eat straight away.

Thanks, how much are they do you know?

I think they're about 2.99, sometimes if on offer can be 2.49 around that.
    Would that be M&S price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I get mine - two for 99c, in Aldi. Buy early, use late. I've a rolling stock of two at all times. So I always have ripe ones to use when I need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I get mine in Aldi too. Like Olaola said, you just need to buy the first pair a good bit in advance, as they tend to be quite underripe.

• Advertisement

I could only get to dunnes today where I had the choice of the expensive 2 pack for 2.70 which were all really soft or the rock hard 89c ones. Got the soft ones, fingers crossed they are not rotten.
    Thanks for the tip re aldi. I'll start doing that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Every time I get to a restaurant and have an avo salad they have gorgeous avocados...
    Every time I buy there has to be a compromise. Too twiney or too soft. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Evergreen on Wexford Street always has beautifully ripe avocados for under one euro each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

It all about the ethanol, just throw them in a paper bag with a banana, should speed up the ripening process without having to pay the RTE markup.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I've been buying them everywhere they're on special and waiting for them to ripen. Has anybody else noticed though how thin the skins are? They're so delicate that the spoon goes right through them, I'm talking about the smooth green ones rather than the Hass (Haas) dark green bumpy skin, but it makes them hard to deal with, either to peel or to halve and fill. Wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

• Advertisement

janmaree wrote: »
    I've been buying them everywhere they're on special and waiting for them to ripen. Has anybody else noticed though how thin the skins are? They're so delicate that the spoon goes right through them, I'm talking about the smooth green ones rather than the Hass (Haas) dark green bumpy skin, but it makes them hard to deal with, either to peel or to halve and fill. Wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

I've found this too, but I discovered that it's much easier to use a vegetable parer/peeler than trying to remove skin by hand, as you would on the thicker skin varities.

May be just overripe, usually you test the top of the avocado to see if its ripe, if the top gently yields to pressure it's about ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Bought 2 in Aldi as per tip.... felt just perfect, got the salad cream salt and pepper and the tuc crackers ready..... Brown , hard in some areas , rotten inside so disappointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Tesco's 'perfectly ripe' avocado's are lovely. 2 in a pack.. Think they're around €2.50 but worth it cos they're always perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Bought 2 in Aldi as per tip.... felt just perfect, got the salad cream salt and pepper and the tuc crackers ready..... Brown , hard in some areas , rotten inside so disappointed :(

I always buy them hard in Aldi and then let them ripen at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Maybe I was just unlucky. They are on special in Tesco this week .

Tesco has the thin skin variety for 38c this week - in a choice of rock hard or rotten in Nutgrove.
    I got a single "ready to eat" one for €1.09 & it was perfect & the much tastier thicker, more brittle skinned variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It all about the ethanol, just throw them in a paper bag with a banana, should speed up the ripening process without having to pay the RTE markup.

Ethylene maybe?
    drinking will reduce quality control!

Ethylene maybe?
    drinking will reduce quality control!

Yes thanks was a hurried post. I should say that the seed in avocado sometimes causes a slight brown discolouration in the flesh surrounding it, doesn't look pretty but perfectly fine to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yes thanks was a hurried post. I should say that the seed in avocado sometimes causes a slight brown discolouration in the flesh surrounding it, doesn't look pretty but perfectly fine to eat.

A little bit of lemon/lime juice on the avocado flesh stops it from oxidising.

• Advertisement

I've just picked up a dozen of avocados from Tesco for a promotional 69c each. Label says ripe-at-home but I find it pretty soft and edible right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Helen_007

I usually go to Fallon & Byrne on exchequer street, they aren't too expensive and are always ripe, so no need to wait before you can use them!! I used to go to Evergreen but fallon & byrne is handier as its right in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

The "Eat Me" ones in Fallon & Byrne are fantastic. Really flavorsome. Others can have great consistency but no flavor.

Sprinkle a little salt and it lifts the flavor hugely.

Anyone seen Sharwil variety rather than Hass? They are supposed to be the Rolls Royce of avacados...

Advertisement