Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop will not remember settings for external monitor - advice?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Recently purchased a DELL laptop (Inspiron N7110) running Windows 7, and it's not playing nice with my HD TV. The TV is a Samsung 1080p 40".

I want the TV to duplicate what is shown on the laptop screen. When I hook up the TV using either the VGA or HDMI cables, the TV says "Mode not supported". The graphics are onboard (Intel HD Graphics 3000). Messing with the resolutions in the regular Windows options yields no results, so there is an advanced option, which opens the Intel software - here you can add a custom resolution, and by entering the following, it works perfectly:
    • 1920 x 1080
    • 60 Hz
    • 32bit
    • Timing: CVT-RB

If I either turn off and on the laptop, or unplug and plug-in the HDMI cable, it does not remember the settings, and I have to go back into the advanced panel and enter the custom resolution all over again - very frustrating.

Is there either a way to solve this problem, or maybe an alternative software I could use to manage the graphics/monitor settings so that it remembers it?

All advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A lot of laptops are flaky like this even modern ones....
    I find the best resolution to use it 720p as it seems to recognise this perfectly...otherwise you're constantly tweaking the settings etc..
    I know Nvidia/Ati has controls within their relevant software that would remember your settings but not sure about intel.
    I think there was some third party software out there that would allow you to do the same..let me root it out later on when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

Had a little look for 3rd party graphics software, but came up empty... do you remember the name?

Thanks. I'll have a look at those links when I get home, but the problem is not that I can't get the TV to work - I can, using custom resolution settings. The problem is that it won't remember the settings, so I have to create the custom resolution every time.

ok..I'll try and root out what I did before to resolve that...it's been a year or two and I'll had a look over the weekend..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's coz you are using vga / hdmi. HDMI always requires manual tweaking for me, it won't remember the settings. If I use displayport or dvi it works fine.

srsly78 wrote: »
    If I use displayport or dvi it works fine.

I don't think it has these ports, will check when I get home, but a quick google tells me that these are the connections it has:

(2) USB 3.0
    (1) USB 2.0
    (1) USB 2.0 with E-SATA & Power Share
    HDMI v1.4 Port
    VGA Port
    Integrated network connector 10/100
    LAN (RJ45)
    AC adapter connector
    Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 Mic-in)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Have you tried VGA? That might work better.

When using HDMI I always had to adjust scaling settings in driver manually. Try updating drivers, maybe they have fixed this?

I have latest drivers and have tried VGA :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I've had issues like this before and I've discovered it is simpler to Extend the
    display rather than duplicate what's on the laptop screen.

Extending means you will have 2 displays, side-by-side,
    and each display can have the proper resolution assigned to it.

This works well for me as Windows Media Center automatically goes to the TV display (drag the window over to it and maximise it),
    and a lot of modern games allow you to choose which display to output the game to.... eg Fallout etc.

• Advertisement

tried single display, clone, extended desktop. same results.

Advertisement