Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Item faulty, lost receipt - anything I can do?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 4:19pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I bought an electric blanket in TESCO. After one night of wonderful heat the thing won't work any more. No idea why. I plug it in and nadda. Might be a plug thing, but can't imagine after one night.

Thing is I've lost the receipt.

Is there anything I can do? I'd even buy a second and use the second receipt for the first one. I'd prefer to have two working ones than one broken one.

Any ideas people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

dory wrote: »
    Hello

I bought an electric blanket in TESCO. After one night of wonderful heat the thing won't work any more. No idea why. I plug it in and nadda. Might be a plug thing, but can't imagine after one night.

Thing is I've lost the receipt.

Is there anything I can do? I'd even buy a second and use the second receipt for the first one. I'd prefer to have two working ones than one broken one.

Any ideas people?

Go back to the shop and ask. This is from 2006 but it may be of help.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=41641

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Great thanks. I don't get how my CC statement could be proof though. It only says the amount I paid in Tesco, it doesn't itemise it. I might give it a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Great thanks. I don't get how my CC statement could be proof though. It only says the amount I paid in Tesco, it doesn't itemise it. I might give it a go though.
    If you can tell them the approximate time and the exact date of the transaction, and produce your CC statement as proof of the amount you paid (which I presume includes other items) then Tesco should be able to access the till records. [Chances are that they won't bother, but take it on trust based on the fact that you can show you paid them money and, I suppose, don't seem like a chancer.]

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The credit card (or bank) statement is proof that you purchased something in Tesco. Based on the transaction reference, they can go back through their till records and locate the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If its tescoo brand they will replace it, if it is not tesco brand bring in the cc statement, its worth a try, buying another 1 and using that receipt will also work.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If its tescoo brand they will replace it, if it is not tesco brand bring in the cc statement, its worth a try, buying another 1 and using that receipt will also work.

I might have to go the buying another one route. I'm trying to think here, and I think that might have been the one time in the past year that I didn't use a card to pay in Tesco! Argh! And no, it's not Tesco brand.

Cheers!

For the record I tried my luck and they took it back without a receipt and without proof of purchase. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

For the record I tried my luck and they took it back without a receipt and without proof of purchase. Phew!

Nice :) It might have been the case that alot of people had the same prob! Easy life for them

Advertisement