Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noel Gallagher speaks on UK's kids work ethic

• 05-02-2012 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Posted this in Noels thread over in the music thread but thought some here would find his comments interesting.
    We were brought up under Thatcher,’ Noel Gallagher is saying.
    ‘There was a work ethic – if you were unemployed, the obsession was to find work.

'Now, these kids brought up under the Labour Party and whatever this Coalition thing is, it’s like, “Forget that, I’m not interested. I wanna be on TV.” It was a different mindset back then.’
    ‘I don’t want them coming home speaking like Ali G,’ he explains. ‘Anyone in my position, you owe it to your children to send them to a school where they don’t have to walk through a metal detector in the morning.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2094856/Noel-Gallagher-It-better-Margaret-Thatcher.html#ixzz1lWOqLfQN

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

He is right.

Under the Tories there was a great work ethic. People were proud to have jobs and earn their own money. The workshy were looked down on.

But then, under Labour, Labour's policies encouraged many unemployed people to choose a life of living on benefits rather than to go out and find work. Labour preferred people to get oyut of bed at 11pm, watch Jeremy Kyler and sponge off the taxpayer.

But now that the sensible Tories are back in power we are already seeing moves underway to punish the workshy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kids these days have a warped sense of entitlement,they believe everything should be handed to them without having to work for it.

When I was growing up,I got a Saturday job at 14 to earn my pocket money-it was my money and I was proud that I'd earned it.That led me to respect the value of things,these days 14 year olds have zero work ethic yet are handed all the trappings of modern life:be it a new smartphone or a PS3,whatever.

I was brought up the old fashioned way: You pull your weight and help out then the rewards come and you appreciate them more.

Today the youth are constantly bombarded with the likes of X-Factor etc. and believe that it's the road to success-not genuine hard work.

Just look at the likes of Ravel Morrison only 19 who last week left Manchester United,he proved nothing,was constantly in trouble yet felt he should get a wage of £30,000 a week.Alex Ferguson is old school,you work hard then you reap the rewards,they are not just handed to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The Daily Mail are now holding Noel Gallagher up as a role model for British youth ?

Wow just wow !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jesus wept, you can bet that the people who fought in the Peloponnesian War thought that the kids who came after them were lazy and workshy. Every generation thinks the next has looser morals and principles.

Maybe Noel should have made this point to Blair when he attended the Cool Britannia party at 10 Downing Street:

e66cte.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm almost sure I remember him doing an interview in which he lamented over how Thatcher had destroyed the country and caused devastation within families like his own.

He does have some good points in that article though.

edit// He also once blamed her for knife crimes! - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2247270/Noel-Gallagher-blames-Margaret-Thatcher-for-knife-crime.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm almost sure I remember him doing an interview in which he lamented over how Thatcher had destroyed the country and caused devastation within families like his own.

He does have some good points in that article though.

He's a middle Englander now...Middle class and middle aged.

that said I do agree with his "quest for fame" thingy. Doesn;t make me or him a Thatcherite...shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Noel Gallagher the great British intellectual speaks so listen and take heed. (not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

He's either forgotten where's he come from or didn't truly suffer directly from the policies and decisions Thatcher made.

That being said, he made a few good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Temaz wrote: »
    Posted this in Noels thread over in the music thread but thought some here would find his comments interesting.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2094856/Noel-Gallagher-It-better-Margaret-Thatcher.html#ixzz1lWOqLfQN

I thought it was the other one that was supposed to be on the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Noel was quite workshy in his youth himself. In the book their brother Paul wrote he says the two boys were as a lazy as sin on the building sites they worked on with their dad. Noel would sit in a hut and write songs all day, while the other fella would head off home to bed without telling anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Batsy wrote: »
    Under the Tories there was a great work ethic. People were proud to have jobs and earn their own money.

Until they closed the mines and ran their countries manufacturing industry into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Batsy wrote: »
    He is right.

Under the Tories there was a great work ethic. People were proud to have jobs and earn their own money. The workshy were looked down on.

But then, under Labour, Labour's policies encouraged many unemployed people to choose a life of living on benefits rather than to go out and find work. Labour preferred people to get oyut of bed at 11pm, watch Jeremy Kyler and sponge off the taxpayer.

But now that the sensible Tories are back in power we are already seeing moves underway to punish the workshy.

Pre the current economic downturn I thought unemployment levels were lower under Labour than they were under the Tories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

44leto wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher the great British intellectual speaks so listen and take heed. (not)

He's a pretty smart guy actually. I enjoy his interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Noel Gallagher - now there's someone that would serve as a role model for everyone. Look how well he's handled his own personal relationships, and just wonder how his own kids will turn out - even with all the money he'll probably be able to give them. Pity Thatcher is gaga. I'm sure it would give her great comfort in her final days before she gasps her last vile breath to know that Noel Gallagher has endorsed her. And he's not even in his dotage yet. I think.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

From Wikipedia:

"Relationships

At the age of 18, Gallagher became engaged to his then-girlfriend Diane, but they never married and eventually separated. In 1988, he moved out of his family home to live with Louise Jones, whom he described as his "soulmate" and for whom he wrote "Slide Away". They had an on-again, off-again relationship before finally separating in June 1994, with Gallagher stating, "I don’t think I’ll ever get over it."

In June 1997, Gallagher married Meg Mathews in Las Vegas, Nevada. He'd met her in 1994 through her roommate, MTV presenter Rebecca de Ruvo, whom he was dating at the time and whom he left for Mathews. Mathews gave birth to a daughter, Anaïs Gallagher, on 27 January 2000. Gallagher and Mathews divorced in January 2001 on grounds of his adultery with Scottish publicist Sara MacDonald. After the divorce was finalised, Gallagher claimed he had only admitted to cheating in order to speed up the divorce process and that he had never actually been unfaithful.

Since his separation from Mathews, Gallagher has been in a relationship with MacDonald, whom he met at club Space on Ibiza in June 2000. He wrote "Waiting for the Rapture" about their meeting. They have two sons, Donovan Rory MacDonald Gallagher (born 22 September 2007) and Sonny Patrick MacDonald Gallagher (born 1 October 2010). Gallagher and MacDonald were married on 18 June 2011 in a private ceremony at the Lime Wood Hotel in the New Forest National Park.
    "

The problem with the Noel Gallaghers of this world is that they are too full of themselves - and of shit. They are a bit like Own Arse in politics, sliding right across the spectrum from Sticky to Fianna Gael and always damning those who don't slide with them.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Noel was quite workshy in his youth himself. In the book their brother Paul wrote he says the two boys were as a lazy as sin on the building sites they worked on with their dad. Noel would sit in a hut and write songs all day, while the other fella would head off home to bed without telling anyone.

So just because his brother said Noel was lazy it must be true? Maybe his brother is just jealous that Noel made a success of himself.

stovelid wrote: »

Him and his brother are complete twats.

Its a pity really, I thought their first 2 albums was the best music to come out in years. But then they showed the world that coke doesn't write good records. They went completely down hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Maggie destroyed the working class. This guy has always been a spoofer, from his Oasis Quo rock to his Labour loving cock.

44leto wrote: »
    Him and his brother are complete twats.

Well, that's me told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...sit in a hut listening to the Beatles more likely.

Well, that's me told.

You needed to be told, it was my duty:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He is clearly a clever enough guy but he has become a bit of a rent-a-quote in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

I like Noel a lot, but he's probably not the right one to be preaching this way. Still top man though.
    Nodin wrote: »

Lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

zerks wrote: »
    Kids these days have a warped sense of entitlement,they believe everything should be handed to them without having to work for it.

When I was growing up,I got a Saturday job at 14 to earn my pocket money-it was my money and I was proud that I'd earned it.That led me to respect the value of things,these days 14 year olds have zero work ethic yet are handed all the trappings of modern life:be it a new smartphone or a PS3,whatever.

I was brought up the old fashioned way: You pull your weight and help out then the rewards come and you appreciate them more.

Today the youth are constantly bombarded with the likes of X-Factor etc. and believe that it's the road to success-not genuine hard work.

Just look at the likes of Ravel Morrison only 19 who last week left Manchester United,he proved nothing,was constantly in trouble yet felt he should get a wage of £30,000 a week.Alex Ferguson is old school,you work hard then you reap the rewards,they are not just handed to you.
    I was a kid in the 80s, teen in the 90s and grown-ups at the time would say the same about my generation. Every generation says it about younglings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Nodin wrote: »

He had to sit in a hut all day because he broke his foot when a gas pipe fell on him and when he came back he was given a job in the storeroom. It was boring job for him so started bringing his guitar in to work and wrote a few songs.

I'm a big fan of his, love reading interviews with him. He's always honest, always funny, just tells it like it is which is rare these days.

Can't wait for the gig in 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    I was a kid in the 80s, teen in the 90s and grown-ups at the time would say the same about my generation. Every generation says it about younglings.

Yeah, I don't get this "back in my day" thing in that post either. I can never figure out what kind of inferiority complex is driving the desire to find some kind of shining light in your own generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, kids today have way more stuff than previous generations had, but my folks would have thought kids of my generation had crazy amounts of stuff. It doesn't mean kids today generally have a sense of entitlement etc.
    I do think my friend's son has an unreal amount of stuff but he's a lovely, well behaved kid.

That said, there are some obnoxious tiger cubs who knew nothing before the "boom" - you see them whingeing here about this sh1t-hole etc - but it's unfair to assume the majority are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Hold on a second.

Is this the same Noel Gallagher that was straight in to visit Downing Street for photos with Blair when Labour got into power? "Cool Brittania" and all that crap?

He should be blaming himself, he probably would have had more sway with younger voters in those days than any politician.

A lot of the celtic cubs were molly coddled, they really do seem to lack a spirit of independence, I don't think most of them has ever seen the inside of a bus, they expect lifts everywhere.

I read a story about a woman called the guards because his son never came home from something, he was told to get a bus. He eventually got home after walking home. When asked why he didn't get a bus, he said, he waited at the stop for ages but none of the buses stopped, it turned out he never stuck his hand out to stop the bus. He didn't know he was to do that.

I don't know if that is true, it seems to ridicules but a lot of fathers I know do believe it.

• 44leto wrote: »
    A lot of the celtic cubs were molly coddled, they really do seem to lack a spirit of independence, I don't think most of them has ever seen the inside of a bus, they expect lifts everywhere.

I read a story about a woman called the guards because his son never came home from something, he was told to get a bus. He eventually got home after walking home. When asked why he didn't get a bus, he said, he waited at the stop for ages but none of the buses stopped, it turned out he never stuck his hand out to stop the bus. He didn't know he was to do that.

I don't know if that is true, it seems to ridicules but a lot of fathers I know do believe it.

I believe it. I'm a teacher and most of my students are 16-22. I've never met such a bunch of boring, unimaginative, immature people. I teach foreign students and most of them are very wealthy, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but pretty sure it's also a generation thing.

They just have absolutely no common sense or drive and expect everything to be done for them. I walked into class the other day to find them all sitting in silence in the dark - apparently turning the light on was beyond them and actually practising their English by having a conversation - forget it. I regularly have students who turn up for my 9am class having had 2 hours sleep, without a pen or paper who then complain that they're bored/not learning, as if it's my fault. I have to confiscate phones because they can't ignore the constant vibration in their pockets and they just have to reply to some banal text message immediately. I'll have 2 students working together doing a dialogue and one will be texting on their phone, leaving the other one sitting there. It's just a lack of respect and basic manners. It boils down to a me, me, me attitude. I don't remember anyone being that rude when I was at university. There are exceptions of course, but on the whole, the younger students seem almost soulless. No social skills, no concept of how to behave in a class. It's as if they can't function unless they're hiding behind an iPad screen. It's really sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Why does anyone give a **** about the political opinions of Noel Gallagher or rock stars in general? This is the man who turned up for the Cool Britannia thing in Downing Street in 1997 and is suddenly claiming that Thatcher was the best thing to happen to the UK. What a hypocrite.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Until they closed the mines and ran their countries manufacturing industry into the ground.

Prior to Thatcher British industry was appallingly run. Places like British Leyland were on strike most of the time and doing very little work when they actually did turn up.

The whole manufacturing, mining and heavy industry sectors did need massive reform. Thatcherism was not the solution but something did need to be done at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wasn't there some quote from Socrates or some ancient Greek giving out the next generation were messers and feckless.

It's nothing new.

Sure my dad walked four miles to school, uphill both ways

Every generation thinks the next crowd are useless and spoilt

I believe it. I'm a teacher and most of my students are 16-22. I've never met such a bunch of boring, unimaginative, immature people. I teach foreign students and most of them are very wealthy, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but pretty sure it's also a generation thing.

They just have absolutely no common sense or drive and expect everything to be done for them. I walked into class the other day to find them all sitting in silence in the dark - apparently turning the light on was beyond them and actually practising their English by having a conversation - forget it. I regularly have students who turn up for my 9am class having had 2 hours sleep, without a pen or paper who then complain that they're bored/not learning, as if it's my fault. I have to confiscate phones because they can't ignore the constant vibration in their pockets and they just have to reply to some banal text message immediately. I'll have 2 students working together doing a dialogue and one will be texting on their phone, leaving the other one sitting there. It's just a lack of respect and basic manners. It boils down to a me, me, me attitude. I don't remember anyone being that rude when I was at university. There are exceptions of course, but on the whole, the younger students seem almost soulless. No social skills, no concept of how to behave in a class. It's as if they can't function unless they're hiding behind an iPad screen. It's really sad.

They wouldn't be Middle Eastern students by any chance? I have a lot of dealings with mega wealthy Saudis and Kuwaitis and find them to be some of the rudest people in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Seems to be very fashionable to talk about how great Thatcher was lately. People really do have short memories.

Seems to be very fashionable to talk about how great Thatcher was lately. People really do have short memories.

She put the great back into Great Britain, she had her failings but she did arrest a declining Britain, it really was her or the IMF.

I would be one of her admirers she was definitely one of the most interesting politicians we have seen in years.

• They wouldn't be Middle Eastern students by any chance? I have a lot of dealings with mega wealthy Saudis and Kuwaitis and find them to be some of the rudest people in the world.

Nope, most of the incredibly rude ones are Turkish and then a mix of nationalities. The Saudis and Kuwaitis tend to be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

students think they can walk out of college and get a good job these days, being on the dole is joked about and is a lifestyle choice now. A good kick back into a decent work ethic and looking down on social welfare claimants is what Ireland really needs to get back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Maybe Noel should have made this point to Blair when he attended the Cool Britannia party at 10 Downing Street:

e66cte.jpg

Wasn't that pretty much a few days after he was elected. Do you expect Noel to see into the future? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher - now there's someone that would serve as a role model for everyone. Look how well he's handled his own personal relationships, and just wonder how his own kids will turn out - even with all the money he'll probably be able to give them. Pity Thatcher is gaga. I'm sure it would give her great comfort in her final days before she gasps her last vile breath to know that Noel Gallagher has endorsed her. And he's not even in his dotage yet. I think.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

From Wikipedia:

"Relationships

At the age of 18, Gallagher became engaged to his then-girlfriend Diane, but they never married and eventually separated. In 1988, he moved out of his family home to live with Louise Jones, whom he described as his "soulmate" and for whom he wrote "Slide Away". They had an on-again, off-again relationship before finally separating in June 1994, with Gallagher stating, "I don’t think I’ll ever get over it."

In June 1997, Gallagher married Meg Mathews in Las Vegas, Nevada. He'd met her in 1994 through her roommate, MTV presenter Rebecca de Ruvo, whom he was dating at the time and whom he left for Mathews. Mathews gave birth to a daughter, Anaïs Gallagher, on 27 January 2000. Gallagher and Mathews divorced in January 2001 on grounds of his adultery with Scottish publicist Sara MacDonald. After the divorce was finalised, Gallagher claimed he had only admitted to cheating in order to speed up the divorce process and that he had never actually been unfaithful.

Since his separation from Mathews, Gallagher has been in a relationship with MacDonald, whom he met at club Space on Ibiza in June 2000. He wrote "Waiting for the Rapture" about their meeting. They have two sons, Donovan Rory MacDonald Gallagher (born 22 September 2007) and Sonny Patrick MacDonald Gallagher (born 1 October 2010). Gallagher and MacDonald were married on 18 June 2011 in a private ceremony at the Lime Wood Hotel in the New Forest National Park.
    "

The problem with the Noel Gallaghers of this world is that they are too full of themselves - and of shit. They are a bit like Own Arse in politics, sliding right across the spectrum from Sticky to Fianna Gael and always damning those who don't slide with them.:eek:

Just because someone was in a few relationships doesn't mean they're not a good role model. He wouldn't be half the song writer he is without these life experiences.

He's a better role model than rap/hip hop muppets with lyrics about having a load of money, smoking weed and calling women bitches and ho's.

He has a good point, but it's easy to say stuff like that when your sitting on a few million ££. There's wasters in every generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

‘Last August I was on tour in Europe and people were asking me about the riots. All over the world, Syria and Egypt, people were rioting for freedom. And these kids in England are rioting for tracksuits. It’s embarrassing.’

Well said Chief

Didn't read the interview but those quotes don't really suggest a support for Thatcher. Reads more like a general rant on the youth of today: par for the course from a tetchy forty something :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Did he not spend years on the dole, spending his cash on recreational drug use?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Noel Gallagher has clarified comments he made about former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in a Sunday tabloid published today (February 5).

The High Flying Birds man took to his blog at NoelGallagher.com to explain he was "outraged" that the Mail On Sunday had implied he was of the opinion that "the years spent under the rule of that soon to be dead granny, Maggie Thatcher, was good for the soul."
    However, he clarified the comments in his blog, stating: "I've read the story and I must say it's very misleading; any great working class art, fashion, youth culture etc came to be IN SPITE of that woman and her warped right wing views and NOT BECAUSE of them."

Gallagher concluded: "Also for the record, on the day that she dies we will party like it's 1989. Just so you know."

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/61846

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Noel gallagher is a great man and a great role model for working class males. He is intelligent, forthright and verry verry funny:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Noel Gallagher is full of sh1t.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Noel gallagher is a great man and a great role model for working class males. He is intelligent, forthright and verry verry funny:D

Am I the only one who thinks this idea of making 'celebrities' role models just plain strange?

He's a man who wrote some songs and made some money because of it. There's nothing wrong with what he did but it's hardly like he's Gandhi or Nelson Mandela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Ellis Dee wrote: »

From Wikipedia:

"Relationships

Since his separation from Mathews, Gallagher has been in a relationship with MacDonald, whom he met at club Space on Ibiza in June 2000. He wrote "Waiting for the Rapture" about their meeting. They have two sons, Donovan Rory MacDonald Gallagher (born 22 September 2007) and Sonny Patrick MacDonald Gallagher (born 1 October 2010). Gallagher and MacDonald were married on 18 June 2011 in a private ceremony at the Lime Wood Hotel in the New Forest National Park."

I don't know anything about him but that seems a rather silly reason to dislike him. Basically he did something a bit mad in getting engaged at 18, had a four year marriage and is currently married to his partner of over ten years. Hardly that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

eh.....
    This is from Cigarettes and Alcohol
    Is it worth the aggravation
    To find yourself a job when there's nothing worth working for?
    Written by Noel Gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

eh.....
    This is from Cigarettes and Alcohol

Written by Noel Gallagher

Not a man for social commentary then are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I recall Noel Gallagher once reminiscing in an interview about how he used to commit burglary in his youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Not a man for social commentary then are you?
    Elaborate...

• Advertisement
Advertisement