Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noel Gallagher speaks on UK's kids work ethic

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

As much as I appreciate Noel's work, I think it's a worse indictment of Irish culture that we can play snap with a statement he made about English kids.

Go team UK & Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

‘Last August I was on tour in Europe and people were asking me about the riots. All over the world, Syria and Egypt, people were rioting for freedom. And these kids in England are rioting for tracksuits. It’s embarrassing.’

Yeah Noel.
    Should have been.....
    ‘Last August I was on tour in Europe and people were asking me about the evolution of music in the UK. All over the world, people were creating new music. And my band are back in England churning out shite the Beatles and the stones probably wrote on a matchbook once then threw away. It’s embarrassing.’

A working class hero is something to be............. Granddad.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah Noel.
    Should have been.....

A working class hero is something to be............. Granddad.

*cringe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

As much as I appreciate Noel's work, I think it's a worse indictment of Irish culture that we can play snap with a statement he made about English kids.

Go team UK & Ireland

And most of western Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

And eastern...

And if arab spring means adidas stripes ahoy; let's not go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

EdenHazard wrote: »
    And most of western Europe

meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Lol. Noel Gallagher would'nt know a hard days work if it punched him in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Lol. Noel Gallagher would'nt know a hard days work if it punched him in the face.

Yeah, its easy call the youth of today useless, when your sitting in your mansion in the English countryside with 83 million in the bank.
    Far play to him for making his money but don't try to tell me he's a hard grafter! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Noel was quite workshy in his youth himself. In the book their brother Paul wrote he says the two boys were as a lazy as sin on the building sites they worked on with their dad. Noel would sit in a hut and write songs all day, while the other fella would head off home to bed without telling anyone.

Let's not forget the songs that he praised about the virtues of being lazy.

Also, listen to the beginning of Cigarettes and Alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Noel posted this on his blog.
    Well not a great deal going on. Nothing to report and normally I would wait until something happened before I mithered you but someone has just made me aware of a headline they came across on this here internet. Now 99 times out of 100 I wouldn't bother with such nonsense but I feel outraged, so for the record...

There is a headline that implies that I am of the opinion that the years spent under the rule of that soon to be dead granny, Maggie Thatcher, was good for the soul. I've read the story and I must say it's very misleading; any great working class art, fashion, youth culture etc came to be IN SPITE of that woman and her warped right wing views and NOT BECAUSE of them. Also for the record, on the day that she dies we will party like it's 1989. Just so you know.

ONWARDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Until they closed the mines and ran their countries manufacturing industry into the ground.

Wasn't it the Labour government at the end of the 70s that did that. Don't forget the massive inflation and the IMF that they hailed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I understand Noel Gallagher is a pop music person?....

Whats the big deal about him?....

Dont know him, dont know his tunes and dont want to know ...

been too busy working and enjoying life....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Well not a great deal going on. Nothing to report and normally I would wait until something happened before I mithered you but someone has just made me aware of a headline they came across on this here internet. Now 99 times out of 100 I wouldn't bother with such nonsense but I feel outraged, so for the record...

There is a headline that implies that I am of the opinion that the years spent under the rule of that soon to be dead granny, Maggie Thatcher, was good for the soul. I've read the story and I must say it's very misleading; any great working class art, fashion, youth culture etc came to be IN SPITE of that woman and her warped right wing views and NOT BECAUSE of them. Also for the record, on the day that she dies we will party like it's 1989. Just so you know.

That part is pretty unnecessary/pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I think the point about working class culture is spot on. Not a single great British music band emerged during the Labour years. Noel has made this point in the past, along with Johnny Marr from The Smiths and probably others, that's to say art, music or whatever was their only opportunity to escape from the environment of poverty. Kids of my generation don't need to pick up a pen or a guitar; most have what they want already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Nope, most of the incredibly rude ones are Turkish and then a mix of nationalities. The Saudis and Kuwaitis tend to be alright.

How many children do unfathomably rich Saudi and Kuwaiti families send to South London comprehensives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

This idea of listening to the opinions of songwriters and actors as if they are somehow superior sickens me. Artists have their place in society, but that place is not above the rest of us as some form of social leader. Scientists, teachers, doctors, engineers and farmers are far more important to society, and probably have a better insight than celebrities who do very little actual work.

Elvis is a more recognisable figure than Nikola Tesla, that scares me.

Noel Gallagher has a valid point, but it's a point we've all heard before from people we know, why is it any more valid/controversial when he says it?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I think the point about working class culture is spot on. Not a single great British music band emerged during the Labour years. Noel has made this point in the past, along with Johnny Marr from The Smiths and probably others, that's to say art, music or whatever was their only opportunity to escape from the environment of poverty. Kids of my generation don't need to pick up a pen or a guitar; most have what they want already.

Material gain should not be a motive for creating art. There are some great artists out there, you just won't hear them on the radio or find them on the best sellers lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

QUOTATION: The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers
    Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

As Christy Moore said about Thatcher..."Innocent until proven Irish". So, if Noel wants someone like her back in power, he can feck off.

As Christy Moore said about Thatcher..."Innocent until proven Irish". So, if Noel wants someone like her back in power, he can feck off.

Noel has clarified what really was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Batsy wrote: »

But now that the sensible Tories are back in power we are already seeing moves underway to punish the workshy.

Looks like you accidentally made an oxymoron in your post. Unless you are equating sensible as ****ing everyone else over while they sit in their privileged pulpits looking down and scoffing and laughing at those below them, Britains big society.

• bwatson wrote: »
    How many children do unfathomably rich Saudi and Kuwaiti families send to South London comprehensives?

Who said I worked at a South London comprehensive? :confused: You're very good at making assumptions, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Park Royal wrote: »
    I understand Noel Gallagher is a pop music person?....

Whats the big deal about him?....

Dont know him, dont know his tunes and dont want to know ...

been too busy working and enjoying life....:P

If you're a certain age you would have enjoyed life to the soundtrack of Oasis etc. You wouldn't have been able to avoid knowing who Noel Gallagher is.

I even saw a Mexican tribute band.

The man isn't from the X-Factor,manufactured brigade.

zerks wrote: »
    I even saw a Mexican tribute band.

Somehow I can't see Wonderwall being as great in a mexican accent, but hey who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Somehow I can't see Wonderwall being as great in a mexican accent, but hey who knows!

Sure it's not that great in a Manchester accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It was actually very good.......but I was full of Corona:D

Sure it's not that great in a Manchester accent.

'ere, that's bang out of order, come off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

'ere, that's bang out of order, come off it.

Nobhead:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Who said I worked at a South London comprehensive? :confused: You're very good at making assumptions, aren't you?

Yeah fair enough. What sort of school was it you were working at out of interest?

And also, yes I am very capable of assuming things.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Nobhead:P

Oi, watchit or ill Sendalong ya.
    bwatson wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough. What sort of school was it you were working at out of interest?

Elementary my dear Watson.

Hmm.. from Manc to London detective, that's how I roll.

• Advertisement

• bwatson wrote: »

It's a private language school for foreign students who come here to learn English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

maximoose wrote: »
    That part is pretty unnecessary/pathetic
    She was an awful evil cold woman. An awful lot of British people feel the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I seem to recall my school(I'm from England) lamenting the loss of Thatcher, and talking about the bleeding hearts labourites giving money to self entitled work shy louts. But they were all rich. So, thats probably why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I agree with Gallagher. I said during the London Riots that these kids have no interest in getting normal jobs. They want to be on TV, be rappers or have some sort of glamorous job. I even had that mindset myself when i was a bit younger. It took until my early 20s to cop on that i needed to get a 9-5 monday to Friday job :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Domo230 wrote: »
    Way to generalise an entire demographic. I honestly believe we work a lot harder than previous generations and for less.

That's shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher - now there's someone that would serve as a role model for everyone. Look how well he's handled his own personal relationships, and just wonder how his own kids will turn out - even with all the money he'll probably be able to give them. Pity Thatcher is gaga. I'm sure it would give her great comfort in her final days before she gasps her last vile breath to know that Noel Gallagher has endorsed her. And he's not even in his dotage yet. I think.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

From Wikipedia:

"Relationships

At the age of 18, Gallagher became engaged to his then-girlfriend Diane, but they never married and eventually separated. In 1988, he moved out of his family home to live with Louise Jones, whom he described as his "soulmate" and for whom he wrote "Slide Away". They had an on-again, off-again relationship before finally separating in June 1994, with Gallagher stating, "I don’t think I’ll ever get over it."

In June 1997, Gallagher married Meg Mathews in Las Vegas, Nevada. He'd met her in 1994 through her roommate, MTV presenter Rebecca de Ruvo, whom he was dating at the time and whom he left for Mathews. Mathews gave birth to a daughter, Anaïs Gallagher, on 27 January 2000. Gallagher and Mathews divorced in January 2001 on grounds of his adultery with Scottish publicist Sara MacDonald. After the divorce was finalised, Gallagher claimed he had only admitted to cheating in order to speed up the divorce process and that he had never actually been unfaithful.

Since his separation from Mathews, Gallagher has been in a relationship with MacDonald, whom he met at club Space on Ibiza in June 2000. He wrote "Waiting for the Rapture" about their meeting. They have two sons, Donovan Rory MacDonald Gallagher (born 22 September 2007) and Sonny Patrick MacDonald Gallagher (born 1 October 2010). Gallagher and MacDonald were married on 18 June 2011 in a private ceremony at the Lime Wood Hotel in the New Forest National Park.
    "

What a bizarre, idiotic and irrelevant post.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The 17th is going to be unreal, Noel is a genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

44leto wrote: »
    She put the great back into Great Britain, she had her failings but she did arrest a declining Britain, it really was her or the IMF.

I would be one of her admirers she was definitely one of the most interesting politicians we have seen in years.

Its no difficult to govern a nation during an oil boom, and that what she did. The economic prosperity during her time was largly overrated for this reason. Combine this with her treatment of Garret Ftzgerald and the hunger strike mess and its not a rosy picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Domo230 wrote: »
    I honestly believe we work a lot harder than previous generations and for less.

Posted from my iPhone.... as I shimmy up a chimney sweeping it from the inside Guv'ner.

Recent Noel comment on dear old Maggie
    'Margaret Thatcher?' he spits, face creasing, eyebrows arching. 'I don't know what they're glorifying in that film. I f***ing hated her. We should celebrate when she dies. Serious. We're already talking between a few of my friends of doing a "Thatcher is Dead" gig.'

He won't reveal who else might be involved but does say they are 'prominent' musicians. 'She ruled the country with an iron fist. She started that thing that's been prevalent since, where politicians really only give a s*** about London. People say the Queen brings so much business to this country. No, no, no, she brings business to this city. How does the Queen benefit the people of Manchester, or Newcastle, or Leeds?'

Advertisement