Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Guides??

Options
  • 05-02-2012 4:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just curious if many here would buy guides for their games and play them from the very start using the guides or did you play first then get the guide and use it?

I have been playing Dark Souls and I am getting my ass handed to me so time to get the guide I think :)
    Have used it for Final Fantasy before but only after playing it through myself first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I don't think anyone will judge you for using a guide for Demons/Dark souls:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

never buy guides, if i get stuck on a part in a game for ages i just use google

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wouldn't buy the guides too expensive, better just looking at youtube walkthroughs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Dark Souls has excellent wikis. Save the cash and use them instead. Youtube is also a fantastic resource.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

When I was younger I remember the guides you used to get with magazines were like novels to me, if I liked the guide I bought the game haha.

I myself spent a lot of time on youtube and google for Dark Souls, its a toughie. But most the time I get a game I complete it then maybe go to spoilers sections in guides and maybe do a re-run if I like the game enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ambrotos

I'd just go to gameFAQs. I love the idea of the game guides, and I've bought a few in the past, but in the main the internet is more than sufficient for that purpose now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The Elder Scrolls wiki was 100 times better than any guide you could buy, as was the one for Fallout, they have literally hundreds if not thousands of gamers contributing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Crosáidí wrote: »
    never buy guides, if i get stuck on a part in a game for ages i just use google

This.

My guide is google and boards.ie

Cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I had for FF7 8, 9, 10 to try get everything etc, after first completion (Secret Bosses, weapons etc) , as the internet was still a baby for that stuff :P
    Never used the actual walkthrough, just the content at the end detailing the cool stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The Dark Souls guide is out of date now as they changed the weapon scaling so a lot of the stats are wrong. It's a great guide though, hardback and all. The only guide I've ever bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some guides are just worth it, presentation, artwork, ease of use etc etc.

The only brand I find decent is the Authorised Collection ones by Piggyback.

Though the Dark Souls one was very good as well.

EDIT: For example they are doing the FFXIII-2 guide - now I didn't like XIII so probably won't like the sequel but for those of you who do I would highly reccommend the guide without even reading a review of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

GameFAQs - people have really great guides on there (esp Absolute Steve - he even recently updated his final fantasy 7 guide, and the game is out 15 years - and pointed out loads of errors in the official Brady Games guide).

Why pay for one (unless it's by the actual devs and you want to support then without buying multiple copies of the same game) when you can get ones that are intended free and usually updated for years after creation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ya I Like to buy collectors editions guide books,I don't buy them for every game but got them for skyrim,fallout 3,fallout nv,ff 13 and a few others :-).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gamefaqs and Wiki's all the way.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    A very very very very young RopeDrink once used Daddy's telephone to ring Codemasters coz little young Ropey was stuck on a Dizzy game on his little C64.

The man on the phone, he spent a long long long time explaining from start to finish the entire game, in as slow a way as he possibly could so little young 7yr old Ropey could understand and write all the steps down, yay!

Little young Ropey didn't really understand the concept of 2.50 Pound Sterling per minute phone calls and coundn't understand why Daddy, a month later, went into a caniption fit and got very mad and young little Ropey.

Young little Ropey is now ancient senile Ropey, and he does NOT use guides. No sir.

Guides are for pansies.

Your pedestrian childhood development aside, the guides aren't actually for completing the main game as such.

They can be beautiful souvenirs of artwork, extra knowledge about the game and help you complete the various side missions and stories games have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to get the book for all the FF games which were all great with some brilliant artwork. Except the FF9 one which was a disgrace. You had to download a lot of the details from the playonline site which kind of defeats the purpose of a guide. Now I don't have the time for all the sidequests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I buy loads of game guides :3 look lovely and their good for collectables in games and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

i usually get the collector editions of the big games like ff and dark souls

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I used to get the book for all the FF games which were all great with some brilliant artwork. Except the FF9 one which was a disgrace. You had to download a lot of the details from the playonline site which kind of defeats the purpose of a guide. Now I don't have the time for all the sidequests.

With you on that, that Playonline thing was a farce.

US version of the guide also had it.

The FFX guide is probably the best guide I have ever had (Piggyback)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I use guilds the odd time when I'm completely stuck, or when searching for collectables. I wouldn't buy a guild though, not with everything at my fingertips via the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement