Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bail Bondsman Ireland

Options
  • 05-02-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I don't know if this is the right forum so please move it if you feel its necessary. I'm just wondering is it possible to set up a bail bondsman business here in Ireland or are their laws against this?? I'm aware in the UK you cant do it and I believe its the same with many other parts of Europe.

So if anyone has any helpful information that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ertred

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Hi guys I don't know if this is the right forum so please move it if you feel its necessary. I'm just wondering is it possible to set up a bail bondsman business here in Ireland or are their laws against this?? I'm aware in the UK you cant do it and I believe its the same with many other parts of Europe.

So if anyone has any helpful information that would be great.

The following persons are generally categorised as NOT being suitable bailspersons:

defendant's solicitor
    those under 18 years of age
    those in custody
    those with previous convictions
    those recently declared bankrupt by Order of the Court

I don't know of any specific statutory provision prohibiting a third party providing bail for a defendant. However:

1) Given the judiciary in this country generally will grant bail in line with a individual defendant's means, as opposed to the system in the US which places huge bonds on those appearing in court ,I'm not sure that such a business would make economic sense.
    2) I'm not sure the judiciary would allow an individual make a profit from an activity directly related to the operation of the criminal justice system.
    3) I'm pretty sure that no power of arrest exists for breach of contract, so an arrest could not be effected by a bail bondsman on a bailee

Have you being watching a lot of "Dog" lately perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

ertred wrote: »
    The following persons are generally categorised as NOT being suitable bailspersons:

defendant's solicitor
    those under 18 years of age
    those in custody
    those with previous convictions
    those recently declared bankrupt by Order of the Court

I don't know of any specific statutory provision prohibiting a third party providing bail for a defendant. However:

1) Given the judiciary in this country generally will grant bail in line with a individual defendant's means, as opposed to the system in the US which places huge bonds on those appearing in court ,I'm not sure that such a business would make economic sense.
    2) I'm not sure the judiciary would allow an individual make a profit from an activity directly related to the operation of the criminal justice system.
    3) I'm pretty sure that no power of arrest exists for breach of contract, so an arrest could not be effected by a bail bondsman on a bailee

Have you being watching a lot of "Dog" lately perhaps?

Ya I took a look at what you just copied off Citizens information webpage before but as you mentioned later in your post I also presumed there was no laws allowing for a individual with the title of bail bondsman/Surety recovery agent to make an arrest on an individual who has broken bail.
    And as for your final remark not sure whether you were trying to be funny or not, but I was genuinely trying to see if I could set up such a business and I try not to watch that show, the guy is a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ertred

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Ya I took a look at what you just copied off Citizens information webpage before but as you mentioned later in your post I also presumed there was no laws allowing for a individual with the title of bail bondsman/Surety recovery agent to make an arrest on an individual who has broken bail.
    And as for your final remark not sure whether you were trying to be funny or not, but I was genuinely trying to see if I could set up such a business and I try not to watch that show, the guy is a tool.

Just a bit of banter lcrc, no offence meant. With regard to the copy and paste, you're spot on, the CIC was the handiest resource to obtain the exact wording of the non-suitable bail-persons, I'm not trying to claim any expert knowledge of the suspect, but it forms the basis of my reply in that there (AFAIK) is no specific provision prohibiting bails bonds-persons. However the meat of the post is somewhat more pertinent to your question i.e. the economic reality that even in High Court Bail Applications, the presiding judge will rarely set bails figures in the five figure range, hence I feel that such a enterprise as you're asking about would not make economic sense. The power of arrest issue further strengths my feeling on the subject.

In case you think I'm trying to knock a guy for trying to think outside the box and looking to start a new business, I'm not, just giving an honest opinion on your OP. And I agree with you regarding that show, pure dung.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

ertred wrote: »
    Just a bit of banter lcrc, no offence meant. With regard to the copy and paste, you're spot on, the CIC was the handiest resource to obtain the exact wording of the non-suitable bail-persons, I'm not trying to claim any expert knowledge of the suspect, but it forms the basis of my reply in that there (AFAIK) is no specific provision prohibiting bails bonds-persons. However the meat of the post is somewhat more pertinent to your question i.e. the economic reality that even in High Court Bail Applications, the presiding judge will rarely set bails figures in the five figure range, hence I feel that such a enterprise as you're asking about would not make economic sense. The power of arrest issue further strengths my feeling on the subject.

In case you think I'm trying to knock a guy for trying to think outside the box and looking to start a new business, I'm not, just giving an honest opinion on your OP. And I agree with you regarding that show, pure dung.

I agree with you completely it seems the ability of a third party to arrest someone on breach of bail may not be possible, and there may not be enough money in it to make the business profitable. I will have to take a look at it further. Cheers for the response Ill have to make some inquiries and do some research but I think you have nailed it on the head in terms of why there doesn't appear to be bail bondsman already in Ireland. :cool:

Advertisement