Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

women and rugby (just an observation)

• 05-02-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

im sitting here watching the Ireland/Wales match and the odd time im goin onto Facebook. Everytime i log on some girl has a post analysing the match, these are girls that haven't a f*cking clue about sports in general, wtf is this all about? Can anyone explain this new trend, or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The rugby trend has been around a while for girls to be interested in the rugby matches. Does it matter if they understand the rules or not. If they know how a try and points can be formed in a match then they know enough to be able to analyse it and discuss with male friends/family!?

If girls hang around with a lot of lads or friends with a lot of them, have boyfriends and have male family members chances are likely they have some idea bout rugby and other sports namely gaa!

What gives so what if we ladies aren't the best when it comes to sport but not all of us are that rubbish when it comes to analysing a match of any sort! If they are interested in certain sports shouldn't men encourage that? Have something to talk about and so on! Breaks the ice like....should it matter whether women are interested in sport or not?

Go Ireland ha haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

weedhead wrote: »
    im sitting here watching the Ireland/Wales match and the odd time im goin onto Facebook. Everytime i log on some girl has a post analysing the match, these are girls that haven't a f*cking clue about sports in general, wtf is this all about? Can anyone explain this new trend, or is it just me?

manly men knocking lumps out of each other in short shorts...

the popularity and social status and apparent cliquishness of the game above others...

Its quite good to watch..perhaps many of them feel the same way

just suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Its a pretty homoerotic sport and many women are into that, just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd guesss a lot of women would know a lot more about rugby than me to be honest...or some men I know but I guarantee those same lads will analyse game tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're probably only interested because of Rob Kearney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Strange. My sister, who has never had an interest in sports, came home this weekend talking about the Rugby.

What the hell is going on?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They're probably only interested because of Rob Kearney

All the girls I know only talk about Tommy Bowe.

Its Tommy this and Tommy that.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Rugby isnt a kitchen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

I've noticed this too. A lot of women I know say rugby is better than football because the latter is boring. They're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Its women of a certain age who are single and hoping to pull a rugger type,,,gaa savages not good enough for them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

2 words:

Rugby Legs.

The wimmins love'em.

A few cuties yes but we don't be looking at the legs all the time we do watch them kick the ball and result in a try!

We be serious enough like watching a match...

come on ireland....tight score!

Have you heard of tag rugby op?!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Johnny sexton. Oh rawr. Rugby boys are far hotter than footballers... The way they crash into each other? Bet they're demons in the sack.

Yes rugby and gaa is a bit more exciting to watch than soccer I am afraid! Didn't need to tell anyone that like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Well maybe you know these girls personally and know they are not into sport so its probably for attention off the lads.
    But meh isn't everything thats done on facebook basically for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its a pretty homoerotic sport and many women are into that, just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

irish-stew wrote: »
    All the girls I know only talk about Tommy Bowe.

Its Tommy this and Tommy that.

:D
    He was out in Galway before Christmas and he was surrounded by women :D
    Edit: Just scored a great try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Fourteen wrote: »
    I've noticed this too. A lot of women I know say rugby is better than football because the latter is boring. They're wrong.

Not this girlie. Cant stand rugby but love football and soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

We like short shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

2 words:

Rugby Legs.

The wimmins love'em.

Yes they have got nice legs.

_48925847_-19.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

_48925847_-19.jpg

Ah yeah, just imagine them tensing up while wrapped around tightly. :cool:

Kiera wrote: »
    Not this girlie. Cant stand rugby but love football and soccer.

Fair play! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

_48925847_-19.jpg

What's the story with their weird boobs? Are they strapped down? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I was walking through the shopping centre and saw Ireland were losing 3 goals to 5. I think its ironic lads giving out about women not knowing about Rugby as until about 10 -15 years ago very few in the country couldnt give a toss about rugby or knew the rules just a select few of the middle class and the non stabbing brigade in Limerick.

Club games in Ireland had terrible attendances and provincial matches, well, if you waited 20 mins after the game started you could walk in free and still there would be no-one there.

Rugby should thank God for Fred and Neil (Nial?) Cogley for sending so much taxpayers money on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I was walking through the shopping centre and saw Ireland were losing 3 goals to 5. I think its ironic lads giving out about women not knowing about Rugby as until about 10 -15 years ago very few in the country couldnt give a toss about rugby or knew the rules just a select few of the middle class and the non stabbing brigade in Limerick.

Club games in Ireland had terrible attendances and provincial matches, well, if you waited 20 mins after the game started you could walk in free and still there would be no-one there.

Rugby should thank God for Fred and Neil (Nial?) Cogley for sending so much taxpayers money on them.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not to mention what they think of soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bandwagoners, their interest will fade when the team returns to the dark days of being hammered on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

A lot of girls (and some guys) only follow rugby because of the social element involved. They think it will keep them in with a certain group of people and its a good 'middle class' sport to pretend to know about.
    If it wasn't played in Blackrock College etc. etc. these people would follow something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Collie D wrote: »
    :confused:

Obviously it didn't finish like that- doh!

The final score was 21 goals to 23. A very high scoring match. In soccer you usually only get a couple of goals. Either the strikers are brilliant or those rugby goalkeepers are crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

2 words:

Rugby Legs.

The wimmins love'em.

_48925847_-19.jpg
    Those fookers are even paid professionals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Bandwagoners, their interest will fade when the team returns to the dark days of being hammered on a regular basis.

Completely untrue. Firstly the game is completely different nowadays and we have more quality so hammerings wont be happening again.

Secondly Ireland have always got full houses for the 5/6 Nations home games.

Also go to the RDS and watch any Leinster game and look at all the gorgeous girls going! I'm not complaining:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Why are you limiting this to women?

I remember fifteen years ago as a kid and I used to hurl, getting slagged for being into rugby. Now the same guys who used to give me a ribbing for that are travelling for six nations matches and inviting me round to watch the matches. others still don't know a huge amount about the game, but will comment on it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know a whole lot about darts or cricket but I still comment on the games if I happent to be watching them.

Personally I think it's fantastic that so many people are developing an interest in rugby. At a time when obesity levels are rising and we are all asked to beware of living a sedentary lifestyle, it's a great way of encouraging youth participation in sport.

If there's one crowd that I can't stand, it's the "I liked rugby before Munster won the Heineken Cup in 2006/ before the Celtic Tiger/ everyone else is just a phony". Build a bridge would you.

Here is quite a number of women actually playing and clubs are now forming ladies teams plus Arklow ladies produced a calendar well worth the money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Women like gay guys. Gay guys look after themselves and are usually fit.
    Now I'm not saying everyone that plays or likes rugby is gay but a certain percentage is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Girls i know that like it also like the middle class social aspect to it, i.e. they want to pull a rich husband from the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I suspect a lot of people follow rugby because we're actually quite good at it on an international scale. There seems to be more high level matches involving both our national team and our provinces. Personally I prefer soccer when it's played at it's highest level, but that rarely happens in domestic leagues in Ireland and there aren't that many great international matches, so I just end up watching foreign teams that I don't really care about. I'm a girl, and to be honest, I wouldn't be crazy about either sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

In fairness, a few years ago you rarely heard anyone talking about rugby outside of the traditional areas (Limerick etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

biko wrote: »
    Women like gay guys. Gay guys look after themselves and are usually fit.
    Now I'm not saying everyone that plays or likes rugby is gay but a certain percentage is...

WTF??

I don't even........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

ah feck it:mad::mad:who cares ireland lost:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Had to laugh at this thread, I do think the OP is spot on. The amount of women who know shag all about sport showing "passion" in the game of rugby is gas.

They could not give a toss about the game, its the blokes who play it they have the interest in. Playing the game gives you the social standing that the women crave. Women followers crave a "rugby guy" who they can accompany on nights out to the fancy parties etc.... :D

But its not just women, its a great sport for people to follow when they have zero interest in sport in general. A cousin of mine recently got married to a bloke and neither are the sporting types AT ALL. But in the last while they have been attending Leinster games and to the untrained eye they are die hards. Scratch the surface when talking to them about players, other clubs etc.. in slight detail and their eyes just gloss over.

Its all about status, its handy to follow when you work in certain professions also. Everyone has had a boss at some stage who probably never participated in a sport in his life but has mastered the art of talking ****e about rugby :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Its all about status, its handy to follow when you work in certain professions also. Everyone has had a boss at some stage who probably never participated in a sport in his life but has mastered the art of talking ****e about rugby :p

Yes, well if they are spending their free time following it because they have to be able to talk about it to get on in certain professions, either to talk to the boss or clients, I don't look down on them for it. In fact, they have my sympathy.

I think some of the horsesh$t people have to do at work nowadays that is nothing to do with doing their real job because of modern notions about communication skills, building rapport, interpersonal skills is really unfair.

Had to laugh at this thread, I do think the OP is spot on. The amount of women who know shag all about sport showing "passion" in the game of rugby is gas.

They could not give a toss about the game, its the blokes who play it they have the interest in. Playing the game gives you the social standing that the women crave. Women followers crave a "rugby guy" who they can accompany on nights out to the fancy parties etc.... :D

Awwww here it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

I've never said rugby is better than football, but I personally don't watch football. Ever. I've tried, but I just don't like sports that don't have points as well as goals because I feel they move much faster. This is how I feel watching soccer:

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/simpsons-explain-soccer/LX4RzIMfZsf03GZpqLs1Bw

But I like rugby and hurling. I've watched rugby for years, I got into it because my older sisters watched it too. So maybe there is a trend at the minute, I don't know, but many women just genuinely watch rugby. Not for the men's legs, or for the pretty faces, but because it's a great sport that they actually enjoy watching. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Or for the gay men or the husband-getting. What the...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I'm just happy Ireland lost so we only have to hear about 1/10th as much about this sport for the next 12 months.

Underdraft wrote: »
    I'm just happy Ireland lost so we only have to hear about 1/10th as much about this sport for the next 12 months.

The 6 Nations just started...

Obviously it didn't finish like that- doh!

The final score was 21 goals to 23. A very high scoring match. In soccer you usually only get a couple of goals. Either the strikers are brilliant or those rugby goalkeepers are crap.

Don't get me started on basketball goalkeepers. They're useless!

The 6 Nations just started...

Maybe for Wales. Thankfully for Ireland it's already over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

amacca wrote: »
    manly men knocking lumps out of each other in short shorts...

Not in rugby union anymore. That is what the English intended the game to be like when they invented it in the 19th Century, but now, just like football, rugby union's authorities are doing everything they can to make it a non-contact, cissy-boys' sport.

Anyway, as someone living in the only part of the British Isles where rugby league is much more popular than rugby union and most people have never heard of the Guinness Premiership or the Magners League and think that the Six Nations is Canada's largest group of Aboriginal people - Northern England - I'm glad to say that Super League XVII got underway this weekened, and rugby league, unlike rugby union, is still a sport for men, where you still occasionaly see players leaving the field of play with bloodstained shirts and one eye.

Underdraft wrote: »
    Maybe for Wales. Thankfully for Ireland it's already over.

Ireland has 4 more games to come! You reckon there'll be no more talk of rugby because Ireland's out of the running for the Grand Slam? I know I'll still be watching the France match next Saturday to see if we do any better. Not with high hopes, mind, but I'll still watch! :)

But its not just women, its a great sport for people to follow when they have zero interest in sport in general. A cousin of mine recently got married to a bloke and neither are the sporting types AT ALL. But in the last while they have been attending Leinster games and to the untrained eye they are die hards. Scratch the surface when talking to them about players, other clubs etc.. in slight detail and their eyes just gloss over.

Some of it I would agree with, I remember yrs back I had missed the Leinster match cos I had a football match and asked a chap(he was wearing a Leinster jersy) what the final score of the match was and it was like asking him to spilt the atom, he hadn't got a clue.
    But you do get genuine fans the ones that go to their local club week in and week out there the ones who can tell you who Gordon Hamilton was

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement