Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there some sort of new gang war or serial rapist / murderer we don't know about?

• 05-02-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to me that, particularly in Dublin but also in other parts of the country, there has been a HUGE skyrocketing in the number of abductions and appeals over missing persons.
    What's going on? O_o

Anyone else noticed this? Absolutely insane number of disappearances recently :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's getting similar to the mid 90's when a lot of young women went missing in this country.

Seems to be a lot more blokes going missing this time around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, in Dublin recently I've seen missing posters up for three different people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People have always gone missing, for whatever reasons. The Internet and fast media makes everything seem like it happens more now than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

No they are just getting more coverage. thejournal.ie seem to put up a lot of appeals, often for teenagers who've had a row or something at home and turn up in a couple of days. This is a good thing by the way, I'm not complaining. Much harder to get coverage on tv news, papers etc, the increasing popularity of online news like the journal gives the impression more people are going missing. Unfortunately a lot of the cases where an appeal is released and then we hear no more after are due to suicides, now that is a very real problem and it's no coincidence so many young men are in this category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm finding the bomb squad being called out every few days to be far stranger to be honest. Tons of people go missing, we only hear about it more now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

All too common when I was in Galway. I wouldn't say it was regular but it wasn't uncommon.

Swept out by the Corrib and wash up in the bay a few days later usually

Sad realy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm finding the bomb squad being called out every few days to be far stranger to be honest. Tons of people go missing, we only hear about it more now.

I dont think the bomb squad being called out being that strange. Happens pretty much every day, the majority of the calls are for little things. Its never a big hollywood bomb scene like on tv :pac:

Yeah, a lot more people go missing in this country that we hear about. There are thousands of them yet we only ever really hear about it in brief on the RTE website or something and when its younger people.
    There are currently 2 people missing that RTE are talking about. But if you do a bit more searching around the internet you will find that there are a lot more people that have gone missing without trace in the past years and nothing has been said about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

People have always gone missing, for whatever reasons. The Internet and fast media makes everything seem like it happens more now than before.
    I've wondered about this one, any stats available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Seems to me that, particularly in Dublin but also in other parts of the country, there has been a HUGE skyrocketing in the number of abductions and appeals over missing persons.
    What's going on? O_o

Anyone else noticed this? Absolutely insane number of disappearances recently :eek:

A lot of these missing people reappear after a few days and it only gets a brief mention in the media. Also if you hear the term "known to the Gardai" you know it's gangland related, seems as if gangland crime is back to pre-Veronica Guerin levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

TheZohan wrote: »
    A lot of these missing people reappear after a few days and it only gets a brief mention in the media. Also if you hear the term "known to the Gardai" you know it's gangland related, seems as if gangland crime is back to pre-Veronica Guerin levels.

weren't we supposed to wipe out these gangs after veronica guerin murder?

probably wishful thinking anyhow given the laws of supply and demand for drugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There's a big increase in Galway with this sort of thing as someone said. You don't need to look at the media for it when the rescue copter is hovering over the river. It's been happening way more in the last 2 years than before. That's when I noticed an increase anyway, it's been going on for a while and I can't help thinking most of them are suicides. I know of some that definitely were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

mikemac1 wrote: »
    All too common when I was in Galway. I wouldn't say it was regular but it wasn't uncommon.

Swept out by the Corrib and wash up in the bay a few days later usually

Sad realy
    Yeah, there's a lot go missing out in Galway and parts further west. I wouldn't say to foul play although the town has its own fair share of ghoulish murders too. There's not much can be done about it unfortunately.

Combination of things
    Some suicide
    And some drunk leaning over to get sick and falling into the swiftly flowing Corrib

There was talk of higher railings before, people leave pubs and go straight over the bridges and accidents and bad things happen
    Only so much you can do though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Irelands litany of serial killers have all bn kept out of the media spotlight. "Can't happen/didn't happen" Crap I Can't even get a court summons n that's 7 in a row now! Should just cremate em and brush em under the carpet myself in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Pages of missing persons on the Garda website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Larry's selling franchises.

Pages of missing persons on the Garda website.
    Surprisingly large number of young Chinese people on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I was actually talking with someone about this the other day, loads of people going missing lately!

Doc Ruby wrote: »

I just looked through it and thought the same thing. That is actually scary if you think of what the total amount of people with Chinese/Asian names might be in Ireland and then at the percentage of them missing. Something is not right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Mcbee wrote: »
    weren't we supposed to wipe out these gangs after veronica guerin murder?

probably wishful thinking anyhow given the laws of supply and demand for drugs

We or anybody else will ever wipe out gangs of criminals,They have been around as long as man himself :)and if it isn't or wasn't drugs it be something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I just looked through it and thought the same thing. That is actually scary if you think of what the total amount of people with Chinese/Asian names might be in Ireland and then at the percentage of them missing. Something is not right!

As in they went to another jurisdiction or are working away on the black market.

Probably still here or in the UK, student visa over and they never went home

That was my first thought too, but look how many of them don't speak any English. The only people reporting them missing would be other Chinese, and you'd imagine they'd be in on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Is that so? Does that list show the amount of people who are unaccounted for or those who have actually been reported by friends or family as missing? Judging by the accompanying comments, I think the latter. They mostly say that those concerned were "last seen at xx time in xx place" or what have you, that would not be the concern of the GNIB

As the list on the Garda website I would imagine all those people on it have been officially reported to and accepted by the Gardaí. The Chinese kids are pretty much all between 16 and 18. They seem too young to be on the run from immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I was just thinking that today, shocking stuff, I'd say there's a couple
    of serial killers going around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Imagine find out one of your parents was an active serial killer. What would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The Chinese kids are pretty much all between 16 and 18. They seem too young to be on the run from immigration.

They're all above 18, under 18 missing persons are listed on http://ie.missingkids.com/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

That was my first thought too, but look how many of them don't speak any English. The only people reporting them missing would be other Chinese, and you'd imagine they'd be in on it.
    Heres a fact i can tell you from experience , i am a plumber by trade one of the places my boss takes care of maintenance is in a Building which is leased out to a chinese restaurant i can tell you from working in these places on a dozen occasions , the age of the kitchen staff can run between 17-50 , the older staff especially tend to have no english whatsoever literally not a word, even the alot of the younger staff have minimal english and there is no way they are studying in college as their english is less than basic. They dont get the opportunity to learn english as they are live with other chinese and work with fellow chinese.

That is where the majority of these chinese people are, working blackmarket in the back of these restaurants for a pittance being exploited by their own people. These guys might not pop up on the system again for many years.

In this one small restaurant on a given day i have counted up to 10 staff, its safe to assume lets say 15 chinese people work at this one small chinese restaurant in the subarbs , do the math and you wouldnt be long accounting for alot of these people.

They end up on the missing list because if they told people where they were going to work/lived they could be tracked and sent home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Imagine find out one of your parents was an active serial killer. What would you do?

Have you been watching Serial Mom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Have you been watching Serial Mom?
    Nope, what is it? Sounds intriguing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Nope, what is it? Sounds intriguing!

It's hilarious http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111127/

That is where the majority of these chinese people are, working blackmarket in the back of these restaurants for a pittance being exploited by their own people. These guys might not pop up on the system again for many years.
    I know that, but by the same token if they never have any contact with Irish people who is there to report them missing?

I'm gettin a ripe oul smell here boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Yeah, that's an outrageous number. 40/60 of the people from pages 2-7 were Chinese. I'd be surprised if there was even 100K Chinese people here.

Also, some of the dates people go missing is interesting too. I've seen a few people same age, race and last location who disappeared on the same days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

stats on missing persons.

Taken from - http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=85&Lang=1

Figures have really jumped since 2003...

Damn it that didn't format right.

Year No. of reports of Missing Persons

2010 - 8,339
    2009 - 7,749
    2008 - 7,980
    2007 - 7,992
    2006 - 6,811
    2005 - 5,997
    2004 - 5,060
    2003 - 3,987

Advertisement