Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bent chain on saw

Options
  • 05-02-2012 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

My saw got stuck in a tree and the chain bent. O know its bent as when I take the bar off the saw and try and run the chain through it not all of it does. It stops in the same place all the time. The chain is an Oregon 25 inch. Don't fancy replacing it. Does anyone know if a repair shop can replace a few links?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Are you sure the bar didn't get pinched left a little swarf on the chain? Happens and drivelinks need to filed a little. If not then I'm sure most places with a press tool can change out a few links for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

How can you bend the chain ??? its the bar thats bent , if you take the chain of any chain saw and drop it falls into a bumble , what are the drive links like ? as the previous post says its the bar thats pinched . Just buy a new bar .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can bend a drive link or mangle it enough that it won't run around the bar properly.
    How old is the chain? has it had many sharpenings?
    If you try and fit a section of new chain to an old chain it can cause more problems as the old one has worn in a particular way, the new links can cause problems.
    What you don't want is a chain breaking on you, most of the time the saw just spits it out in a heap but if it whips around and you don't have a chain catcher...
    If the damage is major do yourself a favour and bin it.
    New chains are very affordable from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Can u put up supplier details for the US..?
    Is postage expensive? I know that there is a thread somewhere on this..

thanks...

I use asc_auto_parts on ebay.com.
    I find them pretty good, they have a website called discount sawchain but it only works for the US.
    postage is not that expensive for 4-5 18-20"chains maybe 15-18 dollars.
    The big problem here is that stuff goes through too many hands every middleman makes a bit and that kills the consumer.
    A chain that costs 13 dollars costs 30 euro here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

I use these guys a lot. Very quick and reasonable. http://www.chainsdirect.co.uk

For the same chain 72 link 3/8 0.50
    UK price = 18 stg= 21euro
    US price = 13.30usd = 8euro
    Even at 13 usd postage its cheaper to buy one chain from the US.
    Buy 4 or 5 and its much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

CJhaughey wrote: »

Depends how long you want to wait. Buy a reel of it and you'll get hit with import duty on top of it.

garbarrage wrote: »
    Depends how long you want to wait. Buy a reel of it and you'll get hit with import duty on top of it.
    I only waited about a week, not much more than posting from the UK!
    I wouldn't bother buying a reel, not worth it when loops are so cheap.
    You'll have to buy a rivet spinner etc if you want to go down the reel route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

CJhaughey wrote: »

There couldn't be many yokes around using 050 now?
    What make of chain do you get?

• Advertisement

Its just an example I picked to illustrate the price difference between Europe and the US with regard to pricing.
    Lots of people I know buy US chain loops now as they are so cheap compared to here.

I have a Husky 262xpg that runs .325 .058
    Oleo mac 952 that runs the same.
    Partner that runs .325 .050
    Homelites and Shindaiwas that have .325 .050
    .050 is more a US thing, most of their saws run .050 in .325 and 3/8
    Husky here is .058 and Stihl .063 But you still find some stuff running 3/8 .050 usually private imports from the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Some of the echos are 050 too just wondering,
    All the 325 huskys are 050 too when they come new mostly put a 058 bar On when they wear out original! (dosen't take ling husky bars are sh1te!)

Advertisement