Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

payment options

Options
  • 05-02-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Maybe I have this wrong, but ESB's payment policy seems crazy. I was forced to sign up to direct debit when I moved house a few months ago, which really doesn't suit me, but I did it rather than have to pay a deposit. I thought that I could just pay the bill in advance of the date when the direct debit is due to be taken, which I do with my Eircom bill. but when I called ESB yesterday they told me that the direct debit will still be taken from my account on the date it is due to be paid, which is tomorrow, the 6th, and that the laser payment I paid last week paying the bill in full goes onto my bill as credit. this seems ridiculous to me. i understand the principle of making people sign up for direct debit, but surely once the bill is paid in full by the date it is due it should make no difference. if other companies like eircom can facilitate this why can't esb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Millivanilli,

The direct debit is only taken despite manual payment if the manual payment is made too close to the date of direct debit collection.

If you have manual payment made of the total bill a minimum of six working days (just to be absolutely covered) before the date of collection, the direct debit will not go out.

It is just required that allowances be made for the bank, due to the presentation of direct debit three working days before the actual collection date.

All the best :)
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

Thanks Una,

I must have got it wrong when I called to check. I made the payment last tuesday, but that might have been cutting it fine, in future I will pay it 6 working days before it is due to come out. Thanks for clarifying this

Jill

No problem at all Jill - thanks for getting back to us. :)

Or even if you start making payments by instalment once you receive the bill two weeks before the direct debit date - might be a way of looking after it.

All the best,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

Hi Una

I got a letter today from Electric Ireland dated 9th feb saying that my direct debit was returned and will be presented again on the 24th Feb. While I understand what you were saying above about paying in installments or paying 6 working days before, this letter seems ridiculous as the amount requested is €87.26 and as I paid the bill on the 3rd February. This is showing up on my online account so I don't understand why I am getting a letter saying that I still owe €87.26. Can you advise me what to do as I obviously don't want to pay the same bill twice.
    Below is a copy from the online bill I can pm you my account number if necessary

Thanks

Jill

Feb 8, 2012 returned payment fee EUR 6.00

Feb 6, 2012 payment EUR 87.26

Feb 6, 2012 returned payment EUR 87.26

Feb 3, 2012 payment EUR 87.26

Jan 23, 2012 bill EUR 87.26

Hi Jill,

Yes, if you could send me your account details, I will look into this for you.

I would require the following for verification/security purposes:

- Account number
    - Your full name
    - The address/contact telephone number/date of birth on the account
    - Confirmation that you are the named account-holder

Going by the dates you have provided, it appears the letter may have been issued before your payment was registered on the system, therefore the direct debit would not be presented for collection again, but if you give me your details, I can ascertain whether this is definitely the case.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement