Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens fogging up

Options
  • 05-02-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I use my Olympus u-Tough waterproof compact on the river canoeing a lot. Trouble is the lens keeps fogging up and if I don't have something dry to wipe it with I cannot use it. Anyone got hints on how to combat this. Is there a spray or something. Thanks for any help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

good tyme wrote: »
    Hi

I use my Olympus u-Tough waterproof compact on the river canoeing a lot. Trouble is the lens keeps fogging up and if I don't have something dry to wipe it with I cannot use it. Anyone got hints on how to combat this. Is there a spray or something. Thanks for any help.

You could try smearing some washing up liquid over the lens.. if you get it even enough it probably won't affect the optics TOO much.. but you'll probably get softer images, and of course, it will come off if you get the camera wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It is strange that it fogs up. Are you keeping the camera on your body (warmer than the outdoor and water), or in the pocket of your buoyancy aid? Keep it in the same environment as outdoors.
    Spit usually works on diving masks and worked for me on borrowed waterproof compact, to prevent water droplets from staying on the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

ThOnda wrote: »
    It is strange that it fogs up. Are you keeping the camera on your body (warmer than the outdoor and water), or in the pocket of your buoyancy aid? Keep it in the same environment as outdoors.
    Spit usually works on diving masks and worked for me on borrowed waterproof compact, to prevent water droplets from staying on the lens.

the phrase "the greener the cleaner" is what I was told when diving.

but thats for another thread !!

As for the OP - it does sound like you are keeping the camera hidden in a pocket or somewhere where it is probably warmer than the outdoors temperature- you need to have the camera exposed to the elements (its a weatherproof camera - right ? ) .... so just have it strapped to your wrist and take shots when you want to....see if that solves the issue.

if it doesn't you could try adding silica gel to the inside but it could be difficult to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Whoa there .....

You get fogging when the glass is cooler than a humid environment it is exposed to. The glass of a diving mask is in contact with the water on one side which is colder than the moist air held inside the mask. The water then condenses on the cold glass.

Advertisement