Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest to me a hobby, interest, pastime or activity

• 05-02-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just what is says in the title.

All suggestions are welcome (including the all the amusing ones I'm anticipating).

I thank you in advance for your contributions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Falconry seems to be the latest "hip" thing to do for today's youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

emigration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Bee-keeping, bowling, archery or fencing. Interesting in all four. I'm doing a bee-keeping course at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

cartwheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You could take up this new craze called jogging or maybe it's pronounced yogging. I think it's a soft J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You could try the internet OP.

I hear it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

1) Find/invent a cheap alternative energy source to oil.
    2) See how long you can last before you're hunted down and executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bee-keeping, bowling, archery or fencing. Interesting in all four. I'm doing a bee-keeping course at the moment.

http://www.epiclol.com/cdn/pictures/2011/12/hm-yes-quite_1325139314_epiclolcom.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Gym is definately the most addictive once you stick to it and it becomes routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

shoplifting.

You have to be very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

df1985 wrote: »
    Gym is definately the most addictive once you stick to it and it becomes routine.

Do you think so? Bored out of my head going to the gym. Maybe need to change what I do but nearly ready to give up going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Programming.
    Lock-picking.
    Poker.
    Juggling.
    Alcoholism.
    Fitness.
    Electronic engineering.
    Reading.

No friends required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Scuba diving! It's an expensive enough hobbie but if you are a graduate of a uni/college you may be able to sign up with those clubs and its much cheaper.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Gash gobbling.

Nah seriously though,

Gash gobbling.

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Do you think so? Bored out of my head going to the gym. Maybe need to change what I do but nearly ready to give up going.

Variation is important and also set targets for yourself to meet within x amount of weeks, months etc. when you see results you then want to push yourself on more I find.

Thats my experience of it anyway. I couldnt not go to the gym now,im no underwear model but it becomes part of your life and routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Flying lessons, hill walking, rallying, survivalism, gardening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Exercise of any kind. You get fit, look better, feel better.
    Reading, writing, playing an instrument and have more sex, just because.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Riding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Buy yourself a metal detector and head to the beech with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Rock climbing.
    why, its satisfying, it pushes you mentally and physically it forces to control your fears and get the job done and when you couple your first hvs fvck me your hands will shake like michel jay foxs plus Irelands got some pretty kick ass climbing :D

Relatively cheep hard part finding climbers to climb with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Digging holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

extreme ironing?

Horse rimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

pole dancing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Cycletouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

• Join the gym and get shredded brah. 6 days a week of intensity, rawwr!!
    • Join a footie team or organise some 5 a side.
    • Learn to play the guitar and/or keyboard, forget everything else:P.
    • Start swimming, it's great.
    • Join an MMA club.
    • Start doing some art maaan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

public speaking (Toastmasters)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Start doing some art maaan:D

Out of here ya beatnik hippie :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jesus, 30 replies and no one's suggested fapping.

AH really has gone to fuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

El Weirdo wrote: »
    AH really has gone to fuck.....

.....themselves

It's fapping hour for AH'ers. 19:00 - 20:00 on a Sunday, please call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Dentistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Where I live the youngsters while away the hours by lamping rabbits,snaring foxes and other sadistic pursuits........evil bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Buy yourself a metal detector and head to the beech with it.

Trees are made from wood though.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you are a contrarian you might choose one from the recent thread here Pastimes or Hobbies you definitely would not do.

I would recommend the venerable art of Dx'ing.

http://www.dxing.info/introduction.dx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

human statue / street performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

public speaking (Toastmasters)

Wouldn't have thought of that, might look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

sorry; can't help you

There must be something you feel a affiliation with. Unless.. em tracksuited neds on the corner?! No that'd be disenfranchised hmm.. Shìt even i have one and I hate "everything"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Here's one for each month of the year. All of these customs and traditions are held in Britain each year, but maybe the Irish might want to take up one or two of them:

JANUARY

Haxey Hood Game, Haxey, Lincolnshire. In the 13th century a gust of wind whipped off the hood of the Lady de Mowbray. Farm workers chased and retrieved the hood, so delighting her that she ordered the pursuit of the hood be repeated, and it is still repeated to this day.

FEBRUARY

Hurling the Silver Ball, St Ives, Cornwall (First Monday after Candlemas (2nd) )

The game starts at 10.30am. The silver ball is thrown from the wall of the parish church by the mayor into the waiting crowd, then passed from one to another on the beaches and through the streets of the town. The person holding the silver ball at 12.00pm takes it to the mayor at the Guildhall and receives the traditional reward of five shillings.

MARCH

Oranges and Lemons Children's Service, London
    In the days when the River Thames at London was wider than it is now, barges carrying oranges and lemons landed just below the churchyard of St. Clements Dane.

On the last day of March, local primary school children gather at the church to attend a service. They recite the famous nursery rhyme and, on occasions, play the tune on hand bells. At the end of the service the children are presented with an orange and a lemon each from a table outside the church .

Oranges and lemons,
    Say the bells of St. Clement's.

You owe me five farthings,
    Say the bells of St. Martin's.

When will you pay me?
    Say the bells of Old Bailey.

When I grow rich,
    Say the bells of Shoreditch.

When will that be?
    Say the bells of Stepney.

I do not know,
    Says the great bell of Bow.

Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
    And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!

APRIL

Nutters Dance - Bacup, Lancashire

One to give the PC Brigade coronaries. The Bacup Nutters Dance traditionally takes place on Easter Saturday in the small Pennine town of Bacup. Each year a team of folk-dancers with blackened faces dances through the town from boundary to boundary.

MAY

Stilton Cheese Rolling, Stilton, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, 10am-3pm

A cheese-rolling championship and May Day celebrations.

Participants compete in rolling large rounded blocks of wood along the high street for a prize of stilton cheese and bottles of port.

JUNE

Nettle Eating Contest, Marshwood, Dorset

Held as part of a charity beer festival at the Bottle Inn in the village of Marshwood near Crewkerne, the event attracts entrants from around the world. Challengers attempt to out eat the current champion nettle-eater.

JULY

World Toe-Wrestling Championships

Held at the Bentley Bridge Inn in Derbyshire every July

AUGUST

St Bartholomew's Bun Race , St Bartholomew's Hospital, London

On St. Bartholomew's Day, 24th August, children run around the church of St. Bart's. After completing the circuit they are given a bun and the adults are given a biscuit especially baked for the occasion.

SEPTEMBER
    The Horn Dance, Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire

The ancient Horn Dance is an annual event held traditionally on the first Monday after the first Sunday after September 4th.

horn.jpg

The famous Horn Dance is performed by six Deer-men who wear reindeer horns. The dancers follow a 10 mile course and perform the ritual in 12 different locations in and around the village, whilst the musician plays tunes such as “The Farmers Boy” and “Uncle Mick” on a melodeon, with accompaniment from a triangle.

OCTOBER

Punky Night, Hinton St George, Somerset

Traditionally on this night, children in the South of England would carve their ‘Punkies’,(pumpkins) into Jack O'Lanterns. Once carved the children would go out in groups and march through the streets, singing traditional ‘punky’ songs, calling in at friendly houses and competing for best lantern with rival groups they meet. The streets would be lit with the light of the Punkies.

Today, in Hinton St George, Somerset, the children still carry candle-lanterns made from hollow out pumpkins through the streets in the evening.

NOVEMBER

Tar-Barrel Racing ,Ottery St Mary, Devon

Ottery St. Mary is internationally renowned for its Tar Barrels, an old custom said to have originated in the 17th century.

barrels.png

The annual event involves people racing through the streets of the town, carrying flaming wooden barrels of burning tar on their backs. It strikes horror into every Elf N' Safety nutjob.

DECEMBER

Haslemere run, Surrey

A three-and-a-half-mile fun run with a pint of winter ale for each runner two miles into the race.

The race begins at 11am at the Crown & Cushion pub on Wey Hill.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/curious/december.html

Cockfighting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cockfighting.

We called it sword fighting at our school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

flight simulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Cow tipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Felching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Painting

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

df1985 wrote: »

That really depends on the person, I've been going to the gym for a fairly long time now and have all the workouts/form/diet down and It still just feels like lifting heavy stuff o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Angling...you'll never go short of a feed of healthy fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Laisurg wrote: »
    That really depends on the person, I've been going to the gym for a fairly long time now and have all the workouts/form/diet down and It still just feels like lifting heavy stuff o.O

Do you not feel more alpha, the stronger you get?

Laisurg wrote: »

surely you feel much better though and wouldnt want to stop? as great as the physical benefits are I find the mental benefits just as important from regular exercise. clears my head anyway!

Stalking then perhaps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement