Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest to me a hobby, interest, pastime or activity

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Spit roasting page 3 beauties with premiership footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Feeding other peoples cats so eventually they like you more than their owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

op do you like the outdoors?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ghandee wrote: »
    We called it sword fighting at our school.

And was the looser the first one to get aroused? Or maybe that was just my school.

Snowie wrote: »
    Rock climbing.
    why, its satisfying, it pushes you mentally and physically it forces to control your fears and get the job done and when you couple your first hvs fvck me your hands will shake like michel jay foxs plus Irelands got some pretty kick ass climbing :D

Relatively cheep hard part finding climbers to climb with...

On a serious note what would be the best way to get into rock climbing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I suppose you'd need to find some rocks for a kick-off.

Big ones, preferably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Read all the Spiderman comics you can get your hands on to learn the technique. Then all you'll need is a spiffy costume and you're sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Photography and booze making. At the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

come over to the weather thread,great hobbie/pastime, especially during the winter :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056539083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Darkginger wrote: »
    Photography and booze making. At the same time.

+1, homebrewing, triathlon, adventure racing and cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Can someone who goes to Toastmasters tell me what the format of the meeting is? Do you go with a prepared presentation and present to the group, getting feedback etc. Or is it more ad hoc than this?

I'm interested in joining a group but want to get an idea first of what it is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have you considered stalking? It can be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Dwarf Throwing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Can someone who goes to Toastmasters tell me what the format of the meeting is? Do you go with a prepared presentation and present to the group, getting feedback etc. Or is it more ad hoc than this?

I'm interested in joining a group but want to get an idea first of what it is like.

A bit of both - you prepare a speech and deliver it to a group of people - 20-30 usually in my club and then you get feedback from an evaluator

As well as that you can be asked to give a 1 minute off the cuff speech on something random

Best thing to do is go to a meeting and see what it's like - most clubs are very welcoming and there is no obligation to join

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

You could take up this new craze called jogging or maybe it's pronounced yogging. I think it's a soft J.

Apparently you just run.... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Korvanica wrote: »
    Apparently you just run.... :confused:

Mix it up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

orienteering its for people who like the outdoors (but do not like to spend the whole day out there) and maps :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

give some of your time to a charitable organization? You may learn new skills and have a bit of fun in the process.

See volunteeer.ie

(I also have a AH-compliant suggestion :D, but this is a work computer, so how about: floral arrangement.It's nice and purty, and I won't lose my job.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

delw wrote: »
    come over to the weather thread,great hobbie/pastime, especially during the winter :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056539083

I have a look sometimes, can't make head nor tail of those things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Football Manager. You'll never have spare time again.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I have a look sometimes, can't make head nor tail of those things!

If you contrast the ECMWF and GFS with the Perturbations (which sits at 32.33, repeating of course) and Precipitation (which is at a 3" mean on SW coastals w/w @ T+48h) you approximate a 365 M/hz roller bumping the shoreline.

Simples.

Yeah, I just made that **** up. I suspect those guys do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Homebrewing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I want to start lockpicking. Someone suggested it earlier.....

Need real cheap lockpicking kit. Anyone?

I got my set at LockPickShop.com. Shouldn't have any problems going through customs but shipping can get steep (I've never come across an Irish seller).

I'd suggest picking up 12-15 piece set to get a feel of the different picks, although a smaller set will do fine if you're on a budget. And get a cut-away lock if you can (great for visualising when you're just starting).

If you've access to a grinder or dremel tool you can make your own as well with hacksaw blades. You can find templates online.

Also, don't ever carry them on your person or in your car. They are considered burglary tools unless you have a valid reason for carrying them. Hobbyist isn't a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Make one yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Don't have any of those tools though. I'll have to save up for my new hobby. Thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Golf.

Doesn't have to be expensive either.
    A driving range will do.

Batin' a bucket of balls a few times a week is great for stress relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Seachmall wrote: »
    I got my set at LockPickShop.com. Shouldn't have any problems going through customs but shipping can get steep (I've never come across an Irish seller).

I'd suggest picking up 12-15 piece set to get a feel of the different picks, although a smaller set will do fine if you're on a budget. And get a cut-away lock if you can (great for visualising when you're just starting).

If you've access to a grinder or dremel tool you can make your own as well with hacksaw blades. You can find templates online.

Also, don't ever carry them on your person or in your car. They are considered burglary tools unless you have a valid reason for carrying them. Hobbyist isn't a valid reason.

And you have them, why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Hiking and walking, I use to do this years ago but the guy I use to hike with got married and that put a stop to that. I still do my Dollymount walks and i think it is beautiful down there, but lately the hills are calling me.

Last night I a seen Martin Sheen's film "The Way" it is a great film, the story is based around the Campo de Santiago an 800 km pilgrimage in southern France and Northern Spain, I just simply have to do that hike, its my new ambition, but I need about 2 months off.

But I will do this, sometime.

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    And you have them, why ?

Because I frequently break into peoples homes in order to ravage their underwear.

Or I'm a hobbyist.

I'm not sure which to be honest, the lines between the two have really blurred for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Did this when I was young, really interesting, making picks, testing different materials to use, found the metal bindings offen used on transport pallets the best. Recently I made a key for a friends bike, used the plastic from a CD case to make a template, then filed down an old key.

Other ideas.
    -Computer gaming. (LA Noire is like being in a movie)
    -do a few thosand piece jigsaw and frame it.
    -Astronomy, many Universities/clubs give public talks
    -DIY
    -Chess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

Pikey Fighting is all the rage these days. Probably because of their rage

Advertisement