Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign call centres - transparency?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

For example, I phone the 01 number in big black letters on the Littlewoods website, and its going through to a call centre in UK, not in Dublin - same with the 3 customer care number, its now based in India..Wondering if its entirely legal to put up an Irish number on a website, as its misleading consumers - my call was on a mobile and it must have cost me a bomb, ill find out soon. I was really feeling quite misled..:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Of course it's legal and you're not being mislead because no one is claiming the call centre is location in Ireland, it's just a contact number. The call is charged at the national rate to Dublin not as an international call to UK or India.

You're just assuming the call centre is in Ireland and you're just assuming you'll be charged for an international call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Of course Im assuming im phoning an irish number if an irish number is given.Relieved to hear its at irish rates tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Common enough practice. Personally I much prefer an Irish call center followed by a UK one. I find communicating with some of the sub continent ones tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

gpf101 wrote: »
    Common enough practice. Personally I much prefer an Irish call center followed by a UK one. I find communicating with some of the sub continent ones tough.
    I hate to admit it, but that often seems to be the case, I'd a problem with Apple, I sent an iphone for repair and when it was sent back it was delivered to the wrong address. The guy in the call centre couldn't grasp the concept that "city centre, Dublin" is not actually an address no matter how many times I tried to explain this, I managed to get the call escalated to an Irish guy who was able to sort the problem within about three minutes.
    Any time I've had to call Apple (a fair few as I work for a reseller) it's constantly the same problem so I'm learnt now to just get it escalated immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BengaLover wrote: »
    Of course Im assuming im phoning an irish number if an irish number is given.Relieved to hear its at irish rates tho!

Technically you are calling an Irish number, but connected to an international switch. You pay an Irish rate though.

Companies will always seek to provide cost effective service. As long as it's more cost effective to outsource to India, or Scotland, then they will do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

dudara wrote: »
    Companies will always seek to provide cost effective service. As long as it's more cost effective to outsource to India, or Scotland, then they will do so.
    Exactly, hence the call-centre boom in Ireland from early 90s to mid 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Gurgle wrote: »
    Exactly, hence the call-centre boom in Ireland from early 90s to mid 00s.

Indeed, we were once the most cost-effective offering. Not any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Funny you should say this, I've just had to deal with Littlewoods over another mess-up on delivery with their couriers. Rang the Irish number and got put through to a British bloke. Now, I don't mind talking to him once he can fix the problem, but since the courier service they employ is Irish, and I live in Ireland, and the courier is pretending to have difficulty delivering to an Irish address... well, they're sorta no good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 networkguy

I can't see what the problem is here.

If you need to contact a company to discuss a matter with them, all you need is a phone number to do that. If the company gives you an Irish number, and you are able to contact and speak to somoeone who fixes the problem - then what is the issue?

Advertisement