Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are some chancers out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Landlord has to cover his mortgage I guess? Could have been burnt by the recession and can't shift it. I wouldn't be so harsh unless you know all the facts.

Looks OK inside, TBF. Plus €650 between 3 is a good deal (for students).

I'd be more worried about it having 3 bathrooms and 1 bedroom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

looks ok to me as well, op is being very harsh I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Capt_cack

"Property overview

Furnished
    3 bathroom (2xdouble 1xsingle) 1 bedroom"

you stay classy manor properties.....stay classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Why do you say it's a kip, is it the area or something? It looks better than some "apartments" I've seen in the D6 area looking for €800p.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I know the area - it's literally across the road from the college, so handy for students, which is probably what sort of people they are looking to fill it. The exterior looks a bit cack alright, but the interior looks fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I love the semi close up shots of the furniture and the shower unit - more overall shots of the rooms would be better IMHO.
    I wouldn't consider it myself, but then, I am not restricted to Waterford City - thank God. Not much of a garden either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bmaxi wrote: »
    Why do you say it's a kip, is it the area or something? It looks better than some "apartments" I've seen in the D6 area looking for €800p.m.

Bit of a difference between Waterford City and D6 in terms of demand don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cant speak for the overall rental prices in Waterford but Id say €650 is okay for that, considering that price could well be negotiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Don't see the problem really :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Neither do I, unless it is very over priced or in a horrible area. The kitchen is nice and big, has lots of counter space, and the counter tops and cabinets and floor tiles look newish. I imagine the close up of the shower is to show that it is electric. No having to worry about heating water or turning the immersion on if everyone wants to have a shower in the morning and still make it to 9am lectures. The sofa has clearly seen better days, but I certainly wouldn't call it a kip over all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I'd say you could easily convince the landlord to knock 50euro off the rental price, that would be 600 euro a month, leaving you to pay 200 euro each. That's not bad at all. I've lived in much worse places to be honest! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bit of a difference between Waterford City and D6 in terms of demand don't you think?

I'm not disputing that, I'm comparing opinions on what constitutes a "kip".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Its basic but nothing seems actuially wrong with the place. The exterior could do with some claening up. What exactley is the OP saying is wrong?

I really wonder what tenants expect for their money. If you buy your own house you don't tend to be able to afford a complete refit so live with it while you do it up. On a rental place people now seem to expect everything to be brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Looks pretty decent for a rental. Can't comment on whether 650 is fair value locally.

OP has very high expectations, faces life full of disappointments.

Edit: No XBox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 georgejetson

To be fair. Some landlords do use their properties as a retirement home for some undesirable contents.

Usually this reflects their tennants (undesirable not the old).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

Rent allowance would easily cover that. If the state will pay it, why wouldn't the landlord ask for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As a student in UCC in the 90s, I definitely saw some kips. This place looks positively palatial in comparison. Why do you think it's a kip? Is there something the photos aren't showing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's no palace but it looks surprisingly spatial inside, with a bit of TLC it would be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's a lot better than some of the student houses I lived in when I was in college.

The outside doesn't look great but I'd assume that would be the back yard so front might be ok. Other than that not much wrong with the inside. It's not great but not bad.

And if you could convince the landlord to change one or 2 of the doubles to twins you could get the rent split into 5 so only around €125 each a month, which would be great for students.

Advertisement