Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know the best way to explain a reason for Dropping out?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

If I was to apply as a Mature student I would need to explain the reasons why I droppd out of a different couse years ago, I did drop out due to personal and health reasons but do you think it'd be better to say it was financial difficulties, if that by working for several years, I would be in a position to afford it, Also, if I was to write a Personal Statement, does anyone have any experience or examples that would be the best way to explain why I dropped out before but that would show I'd be fully committed to the course this time and reassure them that the previous difficulties would not arise this time and that I would definitely finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I don't see why you would need to lie about why you left. I'm sure many people leave college for health reasons, there's no shame in that. Just tell them the problem has been resolved or is under control; whatever the case may be. Be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

As HairyPrincess says just be honest and if the problems are under control you can say that. But if you would prefer to say that it was due to financial issues you can. You would need to be clear that you can afford to stay in college this time so it would be no harm mentioning this on the application if you go with money reasons.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

paperclip2 wrote: »
    As HairyPrincess says just be honest and if the problems are under control you can say that. But if you would prefer to say that it was due to financial issues you can. You would need to be clear that you can afford to stay in college this time so it would be no harm mentioning this on the application if you go with money reasons.:)

I wouldn't lie about it - once you start the way back is tricky. Many people drop out due to illness, and you don't need to specify anything about the illness to the college or on your application. Fact is, it was not a choice but a necessity that you left your course but leaving for financial reasons might seem like poor planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would go with being honest also. People get sick. You can state the reasons why or not. I missed a lot of school and it afffected my leaving cert results. I think I mentioned that the first time I applied for college.

These things happen, its life. I think being honest in your PS is the best way to go. It can be one sentence in your PS. Mention it and move on to why you want to do the course, etc etc. They will not dwell on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Best to be honest on this one, as the previous college may have a record for the reasons you dropped out. Keep it consistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

If I was to be honst, it was really for Mental health issues, I don't think I'd like to enter into too much detail, do you think it'd be necessary to have a Doctor's letter, even just to state that I was treated by him at the time and to confirm that I did have health issuees that would have affected my performance? Do you think I'd need to enter into detail, do you think I'd need to explain the exact issues I had?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

All you need to say is that at the time of you attending college you had health problems which ulitmately inferred with your college work and sadly forced you to drop out. And then continue with "Since then.." you've done X, Y, Z. You do not need to say any more than that.

All it needs to be is one line. Try not to stress about it. :)

Do you not think it'd be better to include a Doctor's letter? Also, did anyone ever have to explain why they had left previously in a Personal Staement or does anyone have any ideas of how is the best way to explain it in a sentence or a few lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Dr's letter would be overkill tbh. What Larianne said in her last post is spot on. You can pretty much take that verbatim.

Do you think it'd a problem if you were to apply to the same Institution as I had left before? Also, if anyone has any ideas of the best way to explain thay I left for health reasons in a sentence, I'd appreciate any replies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Yea Id say be honest about it, but leave it at illness. Just say "I was previously a students on the xxxx course xxxx years ago but was forced to leave at the time due to illness. "Having fully recovered I proceeded to..." (do whatever you did) and lead into how this lead you to wanting to return to college to study xxxxx.

Advertisement