Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Aldi in Letterkenny

Options
  • 05-02-2012 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Why? Was it a plan put into motion during the last days of the Tiger? They have nothing the other Aldi don't.

Good to avoid the queues from the other place I suppose but it would have been cheaper for them to put on a few more cashiers there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Aldi are very aggressive in their expansion and its really to get rid of the competition and to make sure people in that end of the town aren't missing out on spending their money in Aldi. A game of Monopoly will explain this better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

cosanostra wrote: »
    Aldi are very aggressive in their expansion and its really to get rid of the competition and to make sure people in that end of the town aren't missing out on spending their money in Aldi. A game of Monopoly will explain this better

You would think it was Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah you'd never see an Irish store like Dunnes opening two stores a stones throw away from eachother...

As for why, i can see why they would, the one by the IT covers a lot of estates as people have to drive oast it on the way to tesco say, likewise the new one will catch people before they go to Aldi by the cinema and again Dunnes.

very aggressive business plans but it works

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The one over near oatfield is a diaster to get in and out of. People would drive in and stop at the front door blocking traffic and then cars entering from the main road were left stuck half out on the road because of the ignorance of others.

A lot of people didnt like going there purely because of the poor access and went elsewhere. The new store also has more parking and is bigger and brighter than the old store.

I think it was a very good move on their part.

I heard a Lidl staff member saying that they were going to be starting a major revamp on their store now as it was one of the oldest in the country and has never had a make over (and it needs it badly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's because of the feud between the two brothers that operate both Lidl and Aldi.

Aldi opened near the cinema to take business away from Lidl in the retail park. Anyone coming into the town from that direction will now just head to Aldi instead.

And now you have Lidl wanting to open a store in Oatfields, right beside Aldi's original store, so they can take some of their custom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Neeson wrote: »
    It's because of the feud between the two brothers that operate both Lidl and Aldi.

Aldi opened near the cinema to take business away from Lidl in the retail park. Anyone coming into the town from that direction will now just head to Aldi instead.

And now you have Lidl wanting to open a store in Oatfields, right beside Aldi's original store, so they can take some of their custom.

Aldi and lidl are not owned by brothers Lidl is owned by the Schwarz family and Aldi id owned by Albrecht family within the Aldi group it is split between 2 brothers Aldi nord and Aldi sud http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Pen Island

Come on Lkenny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

cosanostra wrote: »
    Aldi and lidl are not owned by brothers Lidl is owned by the Schwarz family and Aldi id owned by Albrecht family within the Aldi group it is split between 2 brothers Aldi nord and Aldi sud http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Yeah i think people always got confused, it was Adidas and Puma that were started when 2 German brothers fell out

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Its a shame to see that Oatfield Sweets will most likely go to make way for the new Lidl though. Wonder how the traffic management will work here, bound to be as successful as the Tesco Roundabout.

I hope the Council use the planning restrictions to make room and a good job of the roundabout at Oatfields, probably best get in someone to plan it though.

Advertisement