Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a SE X8

Options
  • 05-02-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice. I've a Sony Ericsson X8 at the moment, prepay on Meteor, and it's on it's last legs (charging port is shot, out of warranty so not worth sending for repair). I was considering buying a second battery to tide me over, as I'm currently charging the battery directly which is driving me mad. I'm just after getting a bit of unexpected money though, so I think I may just replace it now and be done with it.

My problem now is that I'm being a bit fussy :D. Ideally, I'd be spending less than €100, and I'm looking for something with wifi, ideally touchscreen, and definitely an Android, and that will be more than a stop-gap. I'd be delighted to trade the X8 in if that would get me money off, but I reckon I'd only get about a tenner. I'm also willing to switch networks, bearing in mind that I spend very little on credit.

As far as I can tell, my options with the various networks, are:
    Samsung Galaxy Y (€109 Meteor)
    ZTE Racer 2 (€70 Meteor)
    HTC Explorer (€129 o2, might stretch if it was worth it)
    SE Experia Mini (same as HTC)

I'd also considering buying something secondhand or online, but don't really know where to begin there.

Basically, I'm looking for any advice. Are any of the above phones worth it?
    Anyone know of any decent alternatives, or offers that may suit me?

TL;DR : Looking for a half-decent Android for under €100, if one exists!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Probably the HTC Explorer. It's the newest and definitely the best of all the phones in that list. The Sony Erricson Experia Mini would be the next best phone but as it's only running 2010 software and is the practically the same price as the Explorer, I would opt for the Explorer instead. HTC are renowned for their very good quality phones and their sense interface is amazing. Definitely go for the HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lou22

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I am definitely leaning towards the HTC alright, but I'd be happier if there was any chance of getting it cheaper. I'll have to go instore and check it out properly... wish they did student discount!

Also, anybody know what the minimum top-up amount is for o2? I know it's a fiver on Meteor, that tends to do me a few weeks thanks to the Cabbage app :p

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

I guess that's the slight downfall. They should have priced it a bit more competitively. But as they say.. "Quality tells when prices are long forgotten." Oh and the minimum top up for o2 is €10 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If you go through Carphone Warehouse you'd get €40 for trade-in on the X8; you can check trade-in values somewhere on the website, definitely could before the site relaunch anyway.
    In similar situation at the moment but with slightly more to spend. So I think i'm gonna go for the HTC sensation on Meteor Bill-pay.
    Not v helpful for you, i know, but the trade-in value might help make the decision

Wow, well if it's €40 that's brilliant, I had assumed it would be way less going by previous experiences! I'll try to call into a few of the different shops tomorrow and suss it out.
    Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I got the mini recently as I wanted a good camera. Nothing else at this price has as good a camera and video. What you're looking for might be different. I had a Samsung Europa and X10 mini Pro before and didn't like either. But I'm happy with the new mini. I haven't used any of the other phones in your list so I can't compare them.
    Probably the HTC Explorer. It's the newest and definitely the best of all the phones in that list. The Sony Erricson Experia Mini would be the next best phone but as it's only running 2010 software and is the practically the same price as the Explorer, I would opt for the Explorer instead. HTC are renowned for their very good quality phones and their sense interface is amazing. Definitely go for the HTC.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is the mini is the next best phone? Its better (by a lot) in all the important specs.

Better on the Mini.
    OS same 2.3.4, (Sony have said the mini will get 4.0)
    1Ghz vs 600Mhz
    5MP autofocus, image stabilization, smile and face detection, touch focus and a LED vs 3.0MP no flash
    Video 720p vs 480p
    RAM 512 both, but 320MB ram free on the mini vs 90MB
    Same resolution 320 x 480

Better on the Explorer
    The screen is slightly ( 0.2") bigger

Obviously these phones are all compromised by the small screen. But the Mini is the least compromised in the other specs in my opinion. That said I mainly went for it because of the faster CPU, better camera, and it will get 4.0.

I was into O2 today, and after having a look at the two (HTC and Mini), I'd say it'll be the HTC. My current X8 has always felt a bit too small in my hand, and the Mini would be even smaller, so for that alone the HTC is looking good.
    The fact that it charges via Mini and not Micro USB gives me less of a chance to break it/the cable, so that also helps.
    As for the benefits of the Mini, a good camera would be more of a bonus than a priority for me, and while the performance is important, I'm not a very demanding user so hopefully that won't be a huge issue for me. I just need it for fairly run-of-the-mill stuff, calls, texts, internet, and keeping track of timetables and schedules, along with the odd game or whatever.
    And if I trade in through O2 (not available in CPW) I'll get €36 off, so it'll be under the €100 :D
    Thanks a million for all the help so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They both have microUSB btw, its the new standard for all phones.

The mini is definitely very compact. If you spend intend to spend a lot of time on the web etc, a bigger screen would be more important than the camera etc.

BostonB wrote: »
    They both have microUSB btw, its the new standard for all phones.

Damn, you're right... I was going by one of the reviews I read, forgot to check instore. Guess I'll just have to start taking more care with the chargers then :o

Advertisement