Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope for gallery

Options
  • 05-02-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a 10/22 with the intention of taking up gallery rifle. just wondering what scope to use. i have a swift 8-24x36 but not sure its up to the job.

tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi tommy
    I had a Bushnell 4-12x40 on my 10/22 and while it was good at 25m I thought it lacked a little at 50m.

So I now have a bushnell 6-18x50 and it realy is what I needed. The zoom is on the objective and I have the different distances marked with white nail varnish so as to find them quick when on the firing line. I have a picatinny rail fitted on the 10/22 action

My first choice was a Nikko nighteater 8-32x60 but it was not the best at all.

Bushnell 6-18x50
    e7ed9ed9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

What kind of money did the busnell set you back

€199 in O'Hallaran's in Dranagn co. tipp

clivej wrote: »
    €199 in O'Hallaran's in Dranagn co. tipp

Cheers clive will look into one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi Tommy,

On my 10/22 I also have a Bushnell Banner scope, and had a Bushnell Legend on the last Lever Action.

I have tried several scopes in Gallery Rifle and as a rule spending more money in this case does not work, myself and least one other tried to use Burris Black Diamond 5.5-20 and they were just too powerful at the shorter distances.

I would have a worry with the Swift that it too may be too powerful at the short distances 10/15 etc, but you as the shooter need to decide what works so it may be ok.

One of the most important aspects is quick sight picture, in stage 1 of 1500, you have 20 seconds to fire 12 shots, including a reload, so the last thing you want to do is spend 2 seconds getting a clear sight picture, as it may impact on your ability to get your shots off :(

Hope this helps

DB

• Advertisement

Scalachi wrote: »

One of the most important aspects is quick sight picture, in stage 1 of 1500, you have 20 seconds to fire 12 shots, including a reload, so the last thing you want to do is spend 2 seconds getting a clear sight picture, as it may impact on your ability to get your shots off :(

This is why im thinking the swift isnt up to it. it takes a few seconds to get a good sight picture which hasnt been a problem when out hunting or plinking on the range

clivej wrote: »
    Hi tommy
    I had a Bushnell 4-12x40 on my 10/22 and while it was good at 25m I thought it lacked a little at 50m.

So I now have a bushnell 6-18x50 and it realy is what I needed. The zoom is on the objective and I have the different distances marked with white nail varnish so as to find them quick when on the firing line. I have a picatinny rail fitted on the 10/22 action

My first choice was a Nikko nighteater 8-32x60 but it was not the best at all.

Forgot to say both bushnells were from the Banner range of their scopes.

As salachi says you need to make sure the scope will focus down to 10m, as the banners will do, and that you can get a sight picture quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

i have a burris timberline 4-14x32 on both of my gallery rifles. i find them good as they have long eye relief esp comes into play when ur shooting from ur left shoulder. and it focus down to 10m with no problem.
    it has a max power of 14 thats perfect at 50 in my opinion. with higher mag i found myself trying to get perfect x's. and then i was getting mussle tremmers and sending shots everywhere as i got tired.
    so try other scopes and see what suits you before you waste money buying something that wont suit u.

Advertisement