Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get a National Insurance Number for work in Northern Ireland?

• 05-02-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right section but i have to get a national insurance for a job i got in Northern Ireland.

Im from the South so just checking if anyone knows the procedure on how to get one and what they need or ask you?

and also how long will it take to get one

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The process is more involved than getting a PPS number here ( maybe if things were tighter here there would be less fraud ).
    You have to make an appointment and attend an interview though in your case the interview will really be just to check your identity - bring your birt cert ( long form ) and all your photo ID -preferably include your passport and driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You also need proof of address and letter from employer stating that you will be working there and your proposed start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irish2011

Hi all thanks for the replies.

Yeah thats what i want to know, what i bring and what they ask you etc

someone told me you need your pps number? what would that be for?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Go to your local Jobcentre in NI and they will tell you where you need to go to get it, and will give you a number to ring to make an appointment at the place. You'll have an interview which is no biggie, they'll tell you on the phone beforehand what you'll need to bring. ID, proof of where you work, proof you are allowed to work in NI, probably proof of address too, so maybe find accommodation and get proof of address before you set up the interview. Probably some other things too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 irish2011

yeah i know you have an interview and that but as far as i heard you dont have to be living in NI, you just have to be working?

and i am getting a letter to say i have work so all should be well hopefully :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

irish2011 wrote: »
    yeah i know you have an interview and that but as far as i heard you dont have to be living in NI, you just have to be working?

and i am getting a letter to say i have work so all should be well hopefully :confused:

I'm trying to think back to my interview, and I'm almost sure I had to bring proof of address.

Best thing to do, ring a Jobcentre (any would do really) and they should give you a number to ring where they will be able to tell you what you have to bring with you to the interview.

Advertisement