Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco, Condoms and security boxes

• 05-02-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering why Tesco feels the need to lock up the condoms in the security boxes? Are condoms appealing to thieves?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No, they just do it for the lolz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Voltex wrote: »
    Im just wondering why Tesco feels the need to lock up the condoms in the security boxes? Are condoms appealing to thieves?

Yes.

/close thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Same with razor blades.

Prob a 'high mark up' item, so more to lose on Tesco's behalf if someone half inches them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Usually their the 12 pack ones aren't they???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

In Waterford they but alarms on the contour bottles of coke, its quite annoying when you are trying to just grab a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Chastity casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

They're useful to tiny thieves as replacement disguises instead of panty hose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Why OP? Is it that hard to ask the cashier: "Giz a box of rubbers and some cable ties"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Well just imagine the scenario. Your 10 and want to have sex with your GF, you're going to have heard about condoms but will probably be too embarrassed to buy them yourself, so you try to rob them in Tesco instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes they can easily slip them over there heads and act the prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I noticed this in Tesco today, the plastic box with condom box in it is fucking massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Condoms are a high risk item like razor blades.

I knew girls who worked in a pharmacy where condoms were regularly shop lifted. They said junkies would be coming in robbing them and the tingle lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

Of course. Haven't you ever heard of the rubber bandits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I worked in an Argos once. They had a special shelf for Over 18 items, among these items was a Winnie the Pooh tea set!

(It included a knife)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I think I remember someone saying in a thread here before that they were asked for ID when buying condoms, doesn't seem to make any sense though :confused:

Unless that was all a ploy to get the person's name in the hope that they might get the roide off them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ghandee wrote: »
    Same with razor blades.

Prob a 'high mark up' item, so more to lose on Tesco's behalf if someone half inches them!

Do they come that small ?

Or are you Tony "silly rhyming slang" Fenton ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Poor Conor the condom thought he had escaped from the box, only to end up in another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Grab a cucumber packet of jonneys and tin of Vaseline and throw them in someone else's trolley for the laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Caraville wrote: »
    I think I remember someone saying in a thread here before that they were asked for ID when buying condoms, doesn't seem to make any sense though

Prior to the early 1990's condoms were only legally available to over 18's

Youre right though It didnt make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Would it not make more sense for Tesco to leave them unsecure.

Ok all the condoms will be robbed by skangers, but hopefully they wil use them and stop the skangers multipling and less skangers around in the next generation to rob the rest of the stuff in tesco.

Its a long term plan but it should work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Con Thems is only for us in the Republic of ??????????The Vatican. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

probably stops people tampering with the product- (think Ronnie in eastenders!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Ok all the condoms will be robbed by skangers, but hopefully they wil use them and stop the skangers multipling.

Why should a private company sponsor your little eugenics project ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

no posh **** so tonight OP;):D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why should a private company sponsor your little eugenics project ?

Because i have no money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yeah never though of that , maybe it stops people putting pins in them .
    Plus they would sell , if a kid stole 18 of them hed prob get 2 euro a jonny off his mates. Who are all gonna use them of course . when the kids turn 16 they will all still have that johnnie under their mattress . When they finally go to use it itll be like candle wax.

TRue story
    A friend obviously not me
    cough cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

cloptrop wrote: »
    Who are all gonna use them of course .

Posh **** for all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

When I first had to buy condoms I was incredibly embarrassed. (I feel the opposite now ;) )

They are always being shoplifted because people (particularly young people) are embarrassed buying them. If you are in a shop and know the person at the register and have to buy condoms it could be very embarrassing and lets face it its not like that would be rare in a small town in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Doc wrote: »
    When I first had to buy condoms I was incredibly embarrassed. (I feel the opposite now ;) )

They are always being shoplifted because people (particularly young people) are embarrassed buying them. If you are in a shop and know the person at the register and have to buy condoms it could be very embarrassing and lets face it its not like that would be rare in a small town in Ireland.

Pub vending machines were a god send!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Wasn't there a time when you had to produce a valid RC marriage cert and a doctors prescription to buy the aul prophylactics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Pub vending machines were a god send!!

I know a pub that never bother restocking their machine cos its a gold mine when left empty. Not too many people go up to the bar to complain that the johnny machine took their money :)

Advertisement