Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus prepaid price-increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Aard wrote: »
    Dublin Bus announcement: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/National-Transport-Authority-approves-a-revision-to-the-level-of-discount-provided-on-prepaid-tickets/

National Transport Authority's reasoning: http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Prepaid-Bus-fares-Press-Release-Feb-2012.pdf

Travel 90 tickets increasing from €19 to €21.50. Absolutely appalling. They wanted to realign the fare to the 8-13 stage, but have realigned it to the CASH fare!! I could almost laugh. They indicated that it would be increased by 5%, which would have brought it in line with the Leap fare.

Sneaky.

So this is integrated ticketing. NTA people, you're not particularly intelligent are you?

Sneaky perhaps,Aard,but all it does is underline how we now have three competing sets of Fares on Dublin Bus.

1.Cash
    2.Leap (NTA)
    3.PrePaid.

From my own perspective there's an almighty battle behind the scenes over the fares structure.

At this point it looks as if the NTA is winning the day,as the T90,which could really have taken off as THE Dublin Bus ticket of choice,has now been effectively sidelined in terms of furthering it's popularity.

It may be Integration,Jim....but it's not as we know it :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But Alek, while it seems you are correct, it just doesn't make any sense.

When the prepaid tickets are integrated onto the Leap card, then they should be no competition with Leap and the NTA. In fact the opposite, they should help make Leap widely popular.

So perhaps the problem is DB management dragging their feet on allowing prepaid tickets been integrated onto Leap, so the NTA is punishing DB in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If they made any change to it, it should have been on the 90. Considering the amount of routes and buses that have been cut, it should be a Travel 120.

Are any shops stocked with Travel 90's currently? I've tried a few to no avail and it is missing on ticketmaster who sell Dublin Bus tickets, what is the sense in that, or have they stopped selling it on ticketmaster ages ago? They used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

The-Rigger wrote: »
    it is missing on ticketmaster who sell Dublin Bus tickets, what is the sense in that, or have they stopped selling it on ticketmaster ages ago? They used to.

It is still there, just buried several levels down

This link should bring you to it, if not, search for "Rambler Travelwide Daily/Weekly"
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/1800478CA7D16538?artistid=1425306&majorcatid=10003&minorcatid=589

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Are any shops stocked with Travel 90's currently? I've tried a few to no avail and it is missing on ticketmaster who sell Dublin Bus tickets, what is the sense in that, or have they stopped selling it on ticketmaster ages ago? They used to.

I got one in the newsagents on the bottom of O'Connell street yesterday, the one near the Dublin Bus offices and right beside the 16/16a bus stop :) gonna try stock up if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I got one in the newsagents on the bottom of O'Connell street yesterday, the one near the Dublin Bus offices and right beside the 16/16a bus stop :) gonna try stock up if I can.
    Remember to check tickets when buying they all come with use by/ expiry dates so make sure not to buy over what you would use in the time you have before ticket expires:)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sneaky perhaps,Aard,but all it does is underline how we now have three competing sets of Fares on Dublin Bus.

1.Cash
    2.Leap (NTA)
    3.PrePaid.

From my own perspective there's an almighty battle behind the scenes over the fares structure.

At this point it looks as if the NTA is winning the day,as the T90,which could really have taken off as THE Dublin Bus ticket of choice,has now been effectively sidelined in terms of furthering it's popularity.

It may be Integration,Jim....but it's not as we know it :o

Travel 90 is around years and all people had to was look up what tickets were on offer. It was around well before the new smart cards and like all other things if you dont look for somethings you will not find them:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yeah... it's up to the customer to scour the Dublin Bus website to find which ticket suits their unique purpose. It's not like a transport company should be actively involved in advertising these things and making them accessible, oh no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

One hardly needs to "scour" the website.

The ticket is clearly listed in the prepaid tickets section which is exactly where it ought to be:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/

When you click on the link to the ticketmaster site, it is clearly listed there too.

The ticket has been the subject of advertising campaigns on the sides of buses and at bus stops in the past, so I'm not really sure what more you want them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bummer, I have used Travel 90 for the last 3 years for my visits to my folks / brothers / in-laws when back in Dublin. It is a great way of travelling in the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

well get them to stock up on them for you now. it's not like they're being discontinued and they still offer great value if you have to take 2 buses or even if you're getting any bus for over 13 stages.

They are still for sale and if you can not find anywhere DB head office should have stock and if not send an email to ask why.

The company want everyone using cards it costs less so you save and they save.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Aard wrote: »
    Dublin Bus announcement: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/National-Transport-Authority-approves-a-revision-to-the-level-of-discount-provided-on-prepaid-tickets/

National Transport Authority's reasoning: http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Prepaid-Bus-fares-Press-Release-Feb-2012.pdf

Travel 90 tickets increasing from €19 to €21.50. Absolutely appalling. They wanted to realign the fare to the 8-13 stage, but have realigned it to the CASH fare!! I could almost laugh. They indicated that it would be increased by 5%, which would have brought it in line with the Leap fare.

Sneaky.

So this is integrated ticketing. NTA people, you're not particularly intelligent are you?

I "love" their blithe statement that the average increas is 5.6%, (which is mathematically correct, if you average out the increases of all their different ticket bands - http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Prepaid-Bus-fares-Press-Release-Feb-2012.pdf), but the one that (in my experience) is the most widely-used, (the Travel 90) has a 13.2% increase, over 2.3 times the "average".

A very sneaky, cynical use of "lies, damned lies and statistics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I see now that the bus & luas ticket price is going up to 124 Euro. This is after a phone call with someone from the NTA who informed me they wouldn't go up. :rolleyes:

All a shower of liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

The travel 90 are going up to €21.50 on Monday 20th so i would suggest stocking up now!! I bought a good few tickets in Super Valu on Aston Quay and all the tickets had an expiry date of Dec 2013 so thats great news.
    Im going to get a few more in town tomorrow as i use 1 ticket a week and thats an extra €110 or so a year when the new price hike comes in. Ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was in Dublin over the weekend and picked up 3 tickets, all expire the end of December 2013 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yakuza wrote: »
    I "love" their blithe statement that the average increas is 5.6%, (which is mathematically correct, if you average out the increases of all their different ticket bands - http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Prepaid-Bus-fares-Press-Release-Feb-2012.pdf), but the one that (in my experience) is the most widely-used, (the Travel 90) has a 13.2% increase, over 2.3 times the "average".

A very sneaky, cynical use of "lies, damned lies and statistics".

I would've thought from my experience that the Adult Rambler would've been the most used.

Stocked up before today as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

are the travel 90's validate in the machine or tag on and off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

ronano wrote: »
    are the travel 90's validate in the machine or tag on and off?

You swipe at the smart card reader to the right of the door when boarding. You do not swipe getting off. You swipe on for each bus you use until the 90 minutes expire.

Advertisement