Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparing bottles in batches -

Options
  • 05-02-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi. On my first 5.5 years ago i used Aptimal formula and made enough for 24 hour rotation. - i notice now on the instructions on the box that this is not recommended. and water should be boiled 30 mins before use for each bottle. Please advise me of your bottle making process. I just think that making fresh each time is unrealistic especially if child decides its hungry before time to make - waiting 30 mins is a long time with a hungry baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I make them in batches of 4 and store them in the fridge until needed. I think they have only recently changed the guidelines, it used to be that it was fine to refrigerate them for up to 24 hours.

I think they are erring on the side of caution by saying each feed should be made fresh. Once they are prepared correctly and hygienically and stored in a cold fridge then there shouldn't be any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I make them in batches of 4 and store them in the fridge until needed. I think they have only recently changed the guidelines, it used to be that it was fine to refrigerate them for up to 24 hours.

I think they are erring on the side of caution by saying each feed should be made fresh. Once they are prepared correctly and hygienically and stored in a cold fridge then there shouldn't be any problems.

Same here, my youngest is 2 1/2 now and that's what I did too. Just make sure the bottles are cooled down fully before putting them in the fridge. I used to put them in cold water to speed it up a bit.

Congrats btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

the reason for the recommendations is that the formulas are not sterile.
    boiling water and letting it cool to make it up later is not 100% safe nor is making the bottles letting them cool and heating them up.
    the formulas are not approved by any authority rather something like this:
    The law does not require that FDA approve infant formulas but instead requires companies to provide certain information to FDA before they market new infant formulas. Manufacturers must provide assurances that they are following good manufacturing practices and quality control procedures and that the formula will allow infants to thrive. If such assurances are not provided, FDA will object to the manufacturer's marketing of the formula; however, the manufacturer may market the new infant formula over FDA's objection.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When we used Aptimil I used the cartons or made on demand.
    We use special formula now for the younger one which states that you can make it in batches.

lynski wrote: »
    the reason for the recommendations is that the formulas are not sterile.
    boiling water and letting it cool to make it up later is not 100% safe nor is making the bottles letting them cool and heating them up.
    the formulas are not approved by any authority rather something like this:

Ideally every feed should be made fresh but that isnt always practical or convenient. The previous recommendations that it was ok to make them in advance were in place for years before changing last year. Millions of babies were fed safely this way. Also, the ready made cartons which are not sterile either state that they can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours once opened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They were changed long before last year cause my big girl is 3:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They were changed long before last year cause my big girl is 3:)

Apologies, I was sure I read an article about the changes on the BBC news site last year or if not, then 2010. I bought a book when I was pregnant which says advance preparation is fine and that was published in autumn 2010.

Anyway, I've checked the WHO guidelines re formula preparation and they say the once proper refrigeration is available then they can be made in advance but not stored for more than 24 hrs. I only make 4 at a time so they are never left for that long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

MaxCharlie wrote: »
    Hi. On my first 5.5 years ago i used Aptimal formula and made enough for 24 hour rotation. - i notice now on the instructions on the box that this is not recommended. and water should be boiled 30 mins before use for each bottle. Please advise me of your bottle making process. I just think that making fresh each time is unrealistic especially if child decides its hungry before time to make - waiting 30 mins is a long time with a hungry baby.

We just fill our bottles with boiled water and leave to cool on the counter then add the formula as we need to.

Makes it easier if you get the formula measures aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

We just fill our bottles with boiled water and leave to cool on the counter then add the formula as we need to.

Makes it easier if you get the formula measures aswell.

I'd be really wary of doing it this way. The purpose of adding formula to hot water (70 deg C) is to kill the bacteria and other bugs that might be in the formula (boiling the water is NOT to make the water safe, it's to make the FORMULA safe). As lynski said, formula is not sterile. Adding powder to cool/cold water means that you are not sterilising the formula. Two babies died in the US in recent months from bacteria found in their formula. Why risk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

those instructions were on formula boxes as long ago as 5.5 yrs as my oldest was weaned fully onto formula at 6mths and that is how the tins said to make the bottles.
    the deaths in the us have not be definitely attributed to formula, but the bacteria the killed them is routinely found in formula, at lower 'acceptable' levels.
    I am not in anyway intending to diss the irish workers who make formula or their processes, but there is no requirement for formula to be sterile and there is no requirement for a certified source of ingredients, so they go where the ingredients are cheaper and there is, AFAIK, no testing done on all the ingredients just on sample batches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was very surprised to see that it's not advisable to make a batch of feeds, but make them on demand. It's what I always did with my first 2 babies. I asked the public health nurse, and she said there's no problem doing this, provided the bottles are cooled before refrigerating, and used within 24hrs. She did advise though to just put the boiling water in the bottles, and leave them on the counter, just add the formula when a feed is required. So this is what I have been doing. But I got an even better tip from a relative. If your baby is taking 4oz bottles, for example, fill your bottles to about 2 and half oz with boiled water. When a feed is needed, just make up to the 4oz mark with freshly boiled water, then add the formula. The bottle will be at the perfect temperature, with no waiting around to heat it, if your baby prefers their bottle warm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

When I had my first daughter almost ten years ago, I don't remember being given any strict instructions about formula. I think I used to make up about six bottles and put them in the fridge. If I remember correctly, it was fine to leave them on the counter but I used to fridge so they were out of the way.

When my friend had her child about five years ago, the PHN told her the new guidelines were to fill the bottles with boiled water and add formula as required.

Fast forward to when I had my second daughter last year and I was told by PHN to make up a bottle at a time. I gave her a "you can't be serious" look and she said that they were the new guidelines and that in the event of an emergency, I could keep a bottle with water in the fridge and add the formula to it.

I asked her why these changes had taken place during the nine years since my first child and she said that there were cases reported of bacteria found in the bottles of formula when they were left out on the counter. I asked her what was wrong with adding the formula to the cooled boiled water and she said that studies found that the formula didn't mix well with the cold water :confused:

I used the ready made cartons for the first couple of weeks until she started to drink more with each feed and then I went back to what worked for me 10 years ago and started making up 6 feeds at a time and keeping in the fridge. They'd always be gone within twenty four hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

And when the water is very steamy the powder sticks like a bitch to the
    scoop...its the MOST annoying thing in the world..:D but i make up a batch of 4 in the middle of the day and 2 or 3 in the evening.. so i have 2 in the fridge in the mornings.. just gives me time to get everything done and make more bottles after i've the other 3 sorted. I boil the kettle when i'm starting to wash the bottles + 4 mins sterilizing + wiping down the counters and cleaning the kitchen, the waters usually cool enough to avoid sticking to the flipping scoop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

cbyrd wrote: »
    And when the water is very steamy the powder sticks like a bitch to the
    scoop...its the MOST annoying thing in the world..:D
    but i make up a batch of 4 in the middle of the day and 2 or 3 in the evening.. so i have 2 in the fridge in the mornings.. just gives me time to get everything done and make more bottles after i've the other 3 sorted. I boil the kettle when i'm starting to wash the bottles + 4 mins sterilizing + wiping down the counters and cleaning the kitchen, the waters usually cool enough to avoid sticking to the flipping scoop ;)

I thought it was just me that goes crazy over that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

When can you anticipate baby hunger?? Tonight for example baby cbyrd had 5ozs at 6pm, 5ozs at 8.30pm and another 5ozs at 10.30pm .. hungry baby formula all 6oz bottles that he leaves 1oz in.....i thought at 10pm he had wind cos he went from content content content to wwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh in about 30 seconds..:eek: i don't have 30 mins to make and cool a bottle when he's just decided to drink all round him in 4 hours.. next week i'm making him spuds for definate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I found this issue confusing. I've a 6mth old, I try to make them up as I go along, but this isn't aways possible if you're heading out for the day etc. However, when my daughter was in Temple st, I quizzed one of the Nurses about the technique of making bottles up, she told me with her baby she'd boil the kettle and fill 4 bottles for the day, store them in the cupboard and then add the formula as and when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I always have a big glass with cooled down boiled water on the counter and when I need to make a bottle for my little one, I just mix freshly boiled water with the cooled down one. When my kids were younger an needed night feeds, I just kept warm boiled water in a thermos in our bedroom. Obviously it doesn't kill possible bacteria in the formula, but I seriously doubt that 30 mins after boiling water can do it? I've never made batches as it seemed pointless - preparing the bottle takes some 30 seconds so not really a big deal. Besides, although that's perhaps just me, once the formula is in the bottle, it smells funny after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

cbyrd wrote: »
    When can you anticipate baby hunger?? Tonight for example baby cbyrd had 5ozs at 6pm, 5ozs at 8.30pm and another 5ozs at 10.30pm .. hungry baby formula all 6oz bottles that he leaves 1oz in.....i thought at 10pm he had wind cos he went from content content content to wwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh in about 30 seconds..:eek: i don't have 30 mins to make and cool a bottle when he's just decided to drink all round him in 4 hours.. next week i'm making him spuds for definate :D

Ellen is getting the same, she's also chewing the hands off herself and when we were having dinner today she practically dived for my fork on more than one occasion. Think it's time to break out the baby rice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ROZLYN

For my two kids I had a very handy 'system' for bottle making. Might help others out...I'd sterilize the bottles and pour about 30-40ml of boiled water into each (amount varies according to age of baby therefore amount required). Allow these bottles to cool. I bought a compact flask and had boiled water constantly in it. So whenever baby was hungry all you had to do was add the appropriate amount of boiled water into the cooled water to make up the bottle size you needed. No waiting time for hungry baby and handy when out and about. Hope this helps someone out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

I have a bottle fairy that just comes in and makes the bottles for me i.e my partner he loves making up bottles!
    I asked the PHN about using a flask and she told me a flask isnt sterile for the water haha.they really know how to confuse us all. everyone has their own way of making bottles there really is no easy way .I personally just get himself to make a batch up in the fridge and microwave them to heat up due to using the comfort formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

We had the same question and after hearing some different information, our public health nurse recommended this after talking to her colleagues. She gave us a printed copy of this document that we saw on the HSE website:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/How_to_prepare_your_baby's_bottle_feed.pdf

If you Google "hse baby bottle" it will bring you here.

For the reasons mentioned in previous posts (sterilising the formula etc.), I personally agree that it's the way to go. We're using Aptamil and found the make-it-when-its-needed approach too much and have had no problems with this whatsoever. We usually make them to last about 20 hours and don't let it go as far as a full 24 hours, just to be on the safe side with regard to the formula going off.
    If we're going out and trying to keep a bottle cool for a length of time is too difficult (cold bottle = keeping the bacteria drowsy), we'll just bring a carton or two and use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I find it so frustrating the way they keep changing 'the rules' on these things, makes it a nightmare for parents!

When I worked in childcare several years ago, the done thing was to bring in pre-made batches of bottles.

When my daughter started in nursery 18 months or so ago, I had to bring in a tin of formula & they made up the bottles as they required them.

I recently booked a place in an alternative nursery for my daughter when I return from maternity leave & was informed that the HSE have changed the regulations in the past few weeks & bottle have to be brought in in pre-made batches again.

I think the logic this time was because there was a risk with parent's bringing in tin's of formula that the wrong formula may be given to babies by mistake.

I tried the making them up as I required them when my daughter was born & it was hell! If she woke for a night feed, she would freak out when she had to wait for her bottle to cool down & would end up really agitated by the time her bottle was ready.
    After a few weeks of doing it that way, I used to sterilise the bottles, boil up enough water for each one and put the lids on loosely while they cooled.
    Once the water had cooled (about 10-15 mins), I tightened the lids & kept the bottles on the counter at room temperature.
    I then added formula as was required & served them at room temperature.

I made sure to use to cooled boiled water within 24 hours.

I found offering room temperature bottles from an early age much handier, as it meant when we were out & about, I wasn't trying to heat bottles when there might not have been facilities to do so.

I also used cartons if I was going somewhere rather than having to pack the formula seperate to the bottles. They're dearer to buy alright but were so handy.

Advertisement