Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in the USA (IWT wont allow working with Children??)

Options
  • 05-02-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All,

Any help greatly appreciated.

Looking to teach in New York for a year or two and wondering does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it. Im finishing a Masters at the moment but the IWT wont allow you to work with children

Alot of the exchange programs are looking for people to Australia or Asia not many in the USA and the ones that do want to send you to Arizona

I have my heart set on New York!!!

Any tips greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What subjects do you teach/ do you have any specific experience? I know schools can get visas for teachers with special ed (esp. autism) experience quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

well I'm a primary school teacher so elementary school over there......so no specific subjects as such

However i'm currently working as a resource teacher i.e. special ed. and finishing a higher diploma/masters in Special education from NUI Maynooth run by Froebels.

So would have experience and training in the following........autism /ADHD / dyspraxia / visually/hearing impaired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

many school districts are in need of teachers who specialize in special needs in my area......i can't speak for NYC, but those specializations should help you out.

Unfortunately most of the school districts where i am are in the red, as are many across the country and they are reluctant to hire teachers with masters degrees because it puts them on a higher payscale.

It sounds crazy but the last round of budget cuts here, saw newly graduated teachers retained over teachers with years of service because they wanted the majority of their payroll earning the lowest level on the payscale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

As far as I know teaching jobs are hard to come by in NY, lots of cuts as another poster pointed out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

letitroll wrote: »
    Hi All,

Any help greatly appreciated.

Looking to teach in New York for a year or two and wondering does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it. Im finishing a Masters at the moment but the IWT wont allow you to work with children

Alot of the exchange programs are looking for people to Australia or Asia not many in the USA and the ones that do want to send you to Arizona

I have my heart set on New York!!!

Any tips greatly appreciated

But everyone has their heart set on New York or Los Angeles or Chicago but not many people are fighting to go to the Navajo Reservation or Rapid City, SD or East St. Louis, IL. If you want to teach in the USA, you probably can get a teaching gig in some obscure smaller city or small town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement