Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Not seeing 2nd Hard Drive

Options
  • 05-02-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently re-installed XP and backed up my data to a 2nd internal hard drive. Reformatted the main drive (C) and reinstalled XP. XP is now not seeing my 2nd Hard drive. When I right click My Computer and go into Disc managment it is there but showing a black line and allocated. Is there any way I can get it to reconise the drive and get my data off it.
    On Hindsight I should have backed up the Data to an external Hard drive also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Right-click on that black line representing the drive, and create a new volume. It'll be blank, and recognised by Windows after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I recently re-installed XP and backed up my data to a 2nd internal hard drive. Reformatted the main drive (C) and reinstalled XP. XP is now not seeing my 2nd Hard drive. When I right click My Computer and go into Disc managment it is there but showing a black line and allocated. Is there any way I can get it to reconise the drive and get my data off it.
    On Hindsight I should have backed up the Data to an external Hard drive also.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Gerard, do not do what the previous poster has advised, that will wipe whatever is on the disk.

Follow the instructions here for a fix:
    http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/hard-drive-recognized-not-computer-t63324.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

kippy wrote: »
    Gerard, do not do what the previous poster has advised, that will wipe whatever is on the disk.

Follow the instructions here for a fix:
    http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/hard-drive-recognized-not-computer-t63324.html

Woops. Got a bit confused as to which drive was which (though I did mention the formatted drive would appear blank). If all you have to do is assign a drive letter, then you're sorted. In Disk Management, right-click, and select Change drive letter and paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks for the replies.
    The 2nd Drive is now showing but I cannot access it, if I Right click it to open it to see files folders etc. I keep getting the option to format I am sure if I go ahead and do this it will be fine and then work as normal, but I will loose all my data, is there any way I can get the contents off this drive before I format??

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Data receovery softwear is now what I need to try recover data from this drive, anyone got any recomendations on this softwear?? I'll google a few and see how I get on - Thnks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement