Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low-cost HTPC

Options
  • 05-02-2012 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while and have seen the breadth of knowledge in this forum, and now I'm hoping that you guys will help me build a HTPC.

What I need is a PC to serve 1080p over HDMI, running Ubuntu and XMBC, and I need gigabit ethernet. It will be taking over from a WD TV Live Hub and an old Ubuntu server with an AMD Geode 500Mhz chipset. What I have to begin with is a PCI-E ATI HD 5450 with full and low profile brackets, and 3 SATA 2 HDDs. My two priorities are low cost and low power draw.

I was thinking a Celeron 530, 2 GB of generic RAM, and an mATX mobo and case. I've space to hide a normal tower, so I'm not restricted to a traditional HTPC chassis. I don't need an optical drive.

If anyone has experience or suggestions for such a build, I've love to hear them. Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement