Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs you should have grown out of.

• 06-02-2012 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

The type I'm on about is stuff you listened to when you were in your teens that probably shouldn't apply or appeal to you now that you've grown up (apologies to the young lads and ladies!). But the thing is it still really does, and probably more than most music you've gotten into since.
    I'll throw my own example straight out, if no one knows what I'm on about fair enough, I must be talking ****e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Shryke wrote: »
    The type I'm on about is stuff you listened to when you were in your teens that probably shouldn't apply or appeal to you now that you've grown up (apologies to the young lads and ladies!). But the thing is it still really does, and probably more than most music you've gotten into since.
    I'll throw my own example straight out, if no one knows what I'm on about fair enough, I must be talking ****e.

I just started listening to Self Esteem again recently. Great song. There's a great live video of it on youtube. Here it is

Sounds good on an acoustic guitar too, Am - F - C - G. That's off the top of my head anyway.
    Green day are probably in the same category. They both rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The Wheels on the Bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No one should grow out of music really, not even My Girl Lollipop or Long Haired Lover from Liverpool if you happen to like it.

Fortunately I never had a juvenile music phase unless Yellow Submarine counts? "we all live in a Tub of Margarine"

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Oh lah oh lay oh lay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

mike65 wrote: »
    No one should grow out of music really, not even My Girl Lollipop or Long Haired Lover from Liverpool if you happen to like it.

Fortunately I never had a juvenile music phase unless Yellow Submarine counts?

Doing it wrong Mike. You should know better:P:D

I agree with you though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Growing out of songs is for hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Growing out of songs is for hipsters.

That's such a hipster thing to say.... (I don't know what I'm talking about).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Green Day should have grown out of all their songs but nooo, worse, they go and get all emo.

40 year olds wearing make up and dressed in black and being all moody.

fck off.

I still like some of Green Days old stuff in small doses. Hitchin' a Ride came on the radio in the car a few days ago and I couldn't help turning it up. On the other hand if american idiot was playing I would have had to roll down my windows to let the sick pile out. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KungPao wrote: »
    Green Day should have grown out of all their songs but nooo, worse, they go and get all emo.

fck off.

More priest bashing in AH :(

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It was the first album i bought, back in 1990, song still comes into my head ever-so-often.

That's such a hipster thing to say.... (I don't know what I'm talking about).

I don't really either :(

I still like some of Green Days old stuff in small doses. Hitchin' a Ride came on the radio in the car a few days ago and I couldn't help turning it up. On the other hand if american idiot was playing I would have had to roll down my windows to let the sick pile out. :o

In fairness, Hitchin' a Ride is quality. As is most of Nimrod.

But jesus their recent stuff is awful shiite.

Moany moany shiite!

fck off.

Why should they have 'grown out' of their songs though. I was joking with the hipster thing but this kinda attitude is very arrogant to me. 'Oh....you still listen to that?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Matured into a brilliant band though...

Senna wrote: »

It was the first album i bought, back in 1990, song still comes into my head ever-so-often.
    It's been said before a billion times, but it really was a different show back then.

Good times.

Why should they have 'grown out' of their songs though. I was joking with the hipster thing but this kinda attitude is very arrogant to me. 'Oh....you still listen to that?'

ah just joking.

Actually what pisses me off is that they changed into whinge bags from the likeable happy guys who made catchy songs.

Old Green Day ftw.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Matured into a brilliant band though...

Heard they were doing a Metallica cover album? Haven't heard much since but I thought it was kind of hilarious at the time. Mmm bop indeed.

• Advertisement

ah just joking.

Actually what pisses me off is that they changed into whinge bags from the likeable happy guys who made catchy songs.

Old Green Day ftw.

You do get people who go on like this though, I don't get it.

Agreed on old green day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I like both old and new Green Day, what does that make me? :P

Mainly thanked the OP cause I love the song, not for the idea - I don't think you should have to grow out of liking certain songs! There are some bands/scenes I've outgrown, but there are others that I hope I never will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The entire Never Mind the Zogabongs album. I still bleeding love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

There's a few 90s pop songs that I wouldn't have admitted to liking even at the time but now they have a sort of nostalgic appeal to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Heard they were doing a Metallica cover album? Haven't heard much since but I thought it was kind of hilarious at the time. Mmm bop indeed.

Metallica cover album?! That would be lolworthy in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Niles wrote: »
    There's a few 90s pop songs that I wouldn't have admitted to liking even at the time but now they have a sort of nostalgic appeal to them.

Mr. Vain? I know it's dance... I've actually gone back to looking at a lot of 90's stuff. I go through the odd list or compilation picking out stuff I wouldn't mind hearing. I'll say that a lot of it would be considered embaressing. Mr. Jones by Aqua being fairly up there. :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Mr. Vain? I know it's dance... I've actually gone back to looking at a lot of 90's stuff. I go through the odd list or compilation picking out stuff I wouldn't mind hearing. I'll say that a lot of it would be considered embaressing. Mr. Jones by Aqua being fairly up there. :D:o

Follow it up with a bit of this and you'll be having a blast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

My ma said Slayer are teenyboppers. She watches x factor / voice of Ireland etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

:o

I should've, but I don't want to :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

oh my. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrargw1rrM

not only I still listen to some of their songs, I will actually go to their concert.
    When I told my sister about it she just replied "There are some limits!!!"

• Advertisement

Yeah, Aqua would certainly fall into my guilty pleasure listening... there's other stuff as well that I'm too embarrassed to type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I still sing songs from the "first original genuine no money back guaranteed muppet show cast album" which I know off by heart. . . .

It's not easy being green and Simon smith and his dancing bear being two favourites...... Doo doo doo doo doo doo!

Not gettin that one out of my head now for a week,thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Most songs by S Club 7 and Five...

...I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Most songs by S Club 7 and Five...

...I'll get my coat.

+1 for Five. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Irish Aris wrote: »
    +1 for Five. . .

Pure 90s gold:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Blink 182 and alkaline trio, they still make me smile and think of how i was at 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Kick kick kick duf kick duf k-k-k-k-kickin' the flo'! Kickin' the flo'!
    But but but but you know, but you know,
    Bop-bop-bop-bop-bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbuddy joe!!!

Doo, doo dee doo, doo doo DEE DEE dee doo dee, doo dee doo, doo dee doo, doo doo DEE DEE doo doo doo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

/thread

Best drunk song with your mates.

Advertisement