Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options (halfway between Athenry and Kiltullagh)

Options
  • 06-02-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone might know, how would I go about finding out what my Broadband options are for an area half way between Athenry and Kiltullagh? Anyone else living nearby? what broadband do you have? spped? cap?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

I don't know where Kiltullagh is, but I'm halfway between Athenry and Lackagh and my only option was Airwire. Nothing else works this far out, not even Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I don't know where Kiltullagh is, but I'm halfway between Athenry and Lackagh and my only option was Airwire. Nothing else works this far out, not even Eircom!

and do you know what speeds you are getting? or if there is a usage cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

contact DIGIWEB lots of people use it in that area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Try www.lightnet.ie (LightHouse Networks).

They have a great service - and are based in Loughrea.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Try www.lightnet.ie (LightHouse Networks).

They have a great service - and are based in Loughrea.

Had a look, their max speed is 6Mb and that's €139 per month. They have a 5Mb product but its capped at 30Gb per month. Not for me I think. I need 8Mb(ish)+ for the usual modern demands of internet consumption.

• Advertisement

Weylin wrote: »
    contact DIGIWEB lots of people use it in that area :)

When I do a search for area on Digiweb, it only allows me to specift County and then town. Athenry shows as being DSL or Satellite only.

dnme wrote: »
    Had a look, their max speed is 6Mb and that's €139 per month. They have a 5Mb product but its capped at 30Gb per month. Not for me I think. I need 8Mb(ish)+ for the usual modern demands of internet consumption.

Well, i'm on the 3MB connection - unlimited (there is a fair usage policy but i've never hit it).
    The 3MB connection is absolutely fine for me - and believe me - I use quite a bit of the usual modern demands of internet consumption - no joke.

Well, i'm on the 3MB connection - unlimited (there is a fair usage policy but i've never hit it).
    The 3MB connection is absolutely fine for me - and believe me - I use quite a bit of the usual modern demands of internet consumption - no joke.

You're paying €49 a month for that and your contention is 20 or 25 to 1. That seems pretty awful at a glance.

Beggars can't be choosers mate, plus I have 10:1 ratio, business connection.

Beggars can't be choosers mate, plus I have 10:1 ratio, business connection.

From their website...
    Contention Ratios

Home User 1mb - 25:1 or less
    Small Business 2mb - 20:1 or less
    Large Business 3mb - 10:1 or less

So are you a large business? If not, how did you persuade them to provide you with 10:1?

• Advertisement

Work for a large business - who pay for my home broadband as I need to work quite often at home in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 feefs

I moved from airwire to 3 about six months ago and i have found 3 infinitely better. They are part of the national broadband scheme and it turns out one of their booster antenna is about a mile from Kiltullagh.
    Just did a speed test this second and got 4.09mbps download speed, which is more than four times what i was getting with airwire.
    And it is just €19 per month. Easy decision i reckon.

My LL brought me over a Meteor dongle last night and I tried it. It's connecting to 3g at full strength and I'm getting 5Mbps. It's vert stable unlike my Three dongle which cuts in and out etc. Turns out theres an o2 mast near us, but o2 do not broadcast 3g or HSDPA from it. Meteor must be sharing it cos the signal is very strong.

So that'll do me. Prepay 7 quid a week for browsing etc for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

Hi - did you manage to sort out broadband near Kiltullagh? It's 3 years on - havd things improved? Which provider are you with now and how fast is it - hoping to
    Get broadband soon and could do with some advice as I am in the same area - thanks

deano59 wrote: »
    Hi - did you manage to sort out broadband near Kiltullagh? It's 3 years on - havd things improved? Which provider are you with now and how fast is it - hoping to
    Get broadband soon and could do with some advice as I am in the same area - thanks

Long since moved away. Sorry.

Hi - thanks for your reply - Can you remember what service provider you went with when you lived there?

What kind of speed did you get?

Kind Regards

deano59 wrote: »
    Hi - thanks for your reply - Can you remember what service provider you went with when you lived there?

What kind of speed did you get?

Kind Regards

Oh I ended up with a mobile dongle, cant even remember who with. Sorry

Thanks for your reply - I am hoping things have moved on from dongles in the last three years. I am hoping someone might reply with a solution here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

try vodaphone , the folks have it out there, not sure of the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

going to jump on here: moving soon from the city to Caherlistrane area and will sorely miss my 100Mbps UPC broadband!! .....so looking for the best 'midband' (best I can hope for!) in the area - the mobile offerings (4G>WiFi) look to be the best in terms of price, up to speed and GB limit but the contention and LOS will be Achilles heal of any of them...... any first-hand recent experience of the ISPs would be greatly appreciated!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Does anyone have Vodafone's Simply?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Baidin

In Kiltullagh a few months, I use Lightnet based on a recommendation but it's cat. 4mpbs in theory but not getting that. Might try Vodafone - Eircom told me fibre broadband will be here "in September" but I reckon they were dangling a carrot to get me on board.

Thanks Baidin - I signed up with Vodafone as unlike Eircom they offer broadband only - It can take up to 28 days for setup - I'll let you know the speed when I get it - my neighbour gets around 5/6 mps unlimited and I'd be happy with that.

Advertisement