Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London hunting/shooting shopping

Options
  • 06-02-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Planning a trip to London with herself in the near future. I know she'll want to hit the shops for at least a day so I'm wondering can anyone recommend a good hunting/shooting shop or two where I can go to for some relief

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

There are no such stores in London unless you count the likes of Churchill, Holland & Holland and so on.

Mays of Buckhurst Hill are about the nearest to Central London [which is bigger than Co Dublin, BTW]. Be aware that many dealerships will not let you in the door without you having a license to wave at the camera.

Get a copy of 'Gun Mart' magazine - in the event that you can't find one, PM me and I'll send you a copy - you'll need to go outside the greater London area, BTW.

I live about 70 miles outside London - if you take the time to meet up with me [easy hour train ride from Kings Cross] I can take you to my local dealer [see your PM] and watch you dribble - others from this board have been there and gone away very happy, and there's no 20% sales tax for you, either, if you have anything you buy sent directly over the water.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

All you have in London city is A few barbour shops and a berreta shop and the stuff in them are cheaper over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Park street guns. It's in St Albans Hertfordshire 20 minuts outside london. guns and accessories or if you don't have a car then just google for gun shops near to where your staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

I was thinkng of doing the same thing the last time i went to london but the only shops i could find were mega expensive and geared towards driven game shooting (£500 tweed jackets etc.) Any of the satelite towns should have a decent shop though! I was in about an hour outside london and they had very handy bits and pieces that you wouldnt find here and loads of guns! If i were you i'd take tac up on his kind offer and hit out of the city! ATB ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rambo87

Just back from London....

The country clothing fashion trend is very popular...
    All the "cool" kids wearing Barbour jackets and hunter wellies and flat caps...

Really funny!
    My father and uncles would be the hight of London fashion!! :D

Pisses me off as it drives up the price of the stuff when you need gear!!

(Same thing with fly tying materials and flies being used by women as hair and hat decorations - there was fishing shops sold out of salmon flies a few months ago!! )

Isnt it great being the height of fashion lads!!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to say that if you are interested in shooting - rifles [all kinds], shotguns [all kinds] and BP [all kinds], clothing and accessories then there are actually TWO place I could take anybody to have a dribble. Both are run by personal friends of mine, I'm happy to say.

Deer shooting/stalking, game-bird shooting with dogs, any kind of shooting with dogs, whatever, but NOT fishing.

These are GUN shops, NOT fishing tackle shops [they are most everyplace, so I'm told - I'm not a fisherator, and have no interest - wouldn't even know how to hold a fishing bat, me].

Lots of clothing as well, but you may be better off getting them at home, who knows.

The offer is still there, BTW.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Thanks very much Tac. I'll see can I get away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

rambo87 wrote: »
    Just back from London....

The country clothing fashion trend is very popular...
    All the "cool" kids wearing Barbour jackets and hunter wellies and flat caps...

Really funny!
    My father and uncles would be the hight of London fashion!! :D

Yeah was just over there are month ago and barbour are making a killing, every second person is wearing barbour international, wax jackets or quilted chelsea jackets.
    I reckon you would save about 50 -60 euro buying them in clearys or arnotts i did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm heading over to London for a few days next month and I was wondering if anybody can recommend any good gun shops in London.

In other words, are there any shops over there along the lines of a Cabelas or something similar (although much smaller I'd expect).

Just looking to pick up a range bag and any other accessories that might take my fancy.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

James purdey in audley street , holland and holland in bruton street, williams and sons , william evans, boss and co , the beretta gallery , not exactly cabelas but well worth a gawk.

P.s forgot watson's , they make some unusual stuff like in the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtVW2gSJ40&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm heading over to London for a few days next month and I was wondering if anybody can recommend any good gun shops in London.

In other words, are there any shops over there along the lines of a Cabelas or something similar (although much smaller I'd expect).

Just looking to pick up a range bag and any other accessories that might take my fancy.

Cheers.

Please read post #2.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

tac foley wrote: »
    Please read post #2.

tac

What about mick shepard tac ? Does he have a shop in the london area or is he worth dealing with in the first place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:D Woodys in Wembley High road if you like air guns and paraphenalia.
    Nice staff and lovely old mahogany display cabinets. No firearms though.

rowa wrote: »
    What about mick shepard tac ? Does he have a shop in the london area or is he worth dealing with in the first place ?

Ronan - Mick Shepherd is highly regarded by many serious collectors, and rightly so. His website shows a minute snap-shot of what may be the largest selection of collector/shooting firearms in the UK. I've just spoken to him, and he has said that he is more than happy to welcome people of the same mind-set to his premises, situated about twelve miles outside central London.

If you email me I'll forward details of his address, but for obvious reasons I won't be making them public on this forum.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

tac foley wrote: »
    I live about 70 miles outside London - if you take the time to meet up with me [easy hour train ride from Kings Cross] I can take you to my local dealer [see your PM] and watch you dribble - others from this board have been there and gone away very happy, and there's no 20% sales tax for you, either, if you have anything you buy sent directly over the water.

tac

I would take the kind man up on this great offer, I have been to the shop he is talking about and it is deadly. Great shop.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Bought my first Air rifle and pistol in Woodys of Wembley, back in the eighties when I lived there. A Webley Vulcan in .22 caliber and a Webley Tempest Air pistol also in .22 caliber. Loved them. Had to sell them when I left.

There was a gun shop in Hammersmith. Cannot remember the name. May have only been Airguns, I cannot remember.

Ah the good ol days. :)

Advertisement