Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK reg car, no log book, urgent

Options
  • 06-02-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I bought a car before X'mas.
    It is in UK plate and has no tax or log book.
    Now I have insurance but no logbook or reg. Dealer claims he had it decleared and had it registered under his name and will give me the reg number so I can tax it and then get a logbook and change the ownership.
    Is it right? I really doubt it. What are the right steps to do it?

No tax, Irish reg or logbook. All I have is a receipt for the car. Pain in the as...
    And he seems to be stalling me.

Help please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well it would not be legal for him to have sold you the car on UK plates so Id hope what he says is true. He should have had a document back after clearing it which he can give to you to register it into your name and tax it and then the tax book proper would come to you.

He has the system all arse-about face I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lin33829

corktina wrote: »
    well it would not be legal for him to have sold you the car on UK plates so Id hope what he says is true. He should have had a document back after clearing it which he can give to you to register it into your name and tax it and then the tax book proper would come to you.

He has the system all arse-about face I think.
    Thank you corktina, if he's not doing it leagally, who should I report it to and will I get to keep my car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

lin33829 wrote: »
    Thank you corktina, if he's not doing it leagally, who should I report it to and will I get to keep my car?

I'd not go to revenue as they might take the car of you, go back to the dealer and work it through with him, and tell him you'll get revenue involved if he does not have it sorted for you by the end of the week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The VRC (LOGBOOK) won't be issued until it's taxed, you can tax by using the last 6 digits of the VIN.
    He should at least have given you the the vrt receipt.if the dealer has it cleared a check with revenue will confirm this.
    Your insurers will have notified revenue that they have it insured within 30 days.

aujopimur wrote: »
    The VRC (LOGBOOK) won't be issued until it's taxed, you can tax by using the last 6 digits of the VIN.
    He should at least have given you the the vrt receipt.if the dealer has it cleared a check with revenue will confirm this.
    Your insurers will have notified revenue that they have it insured within 30 days.
    Hi aujopimur, thank you for your answer but I have no idea what is VIN or vrt. I am new in Ireland... Could you explian it to me? By the way, say if I have the reg but its registered under his name. How and where do I change the ownership?

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'd not go to revenue as they might take the car of you, go back to the dealer and work it through with him, and tell him you'll get revenue involved if he does not have it sorted for you by the end of the week etc.
    You talk about revenue a lot... What's the full name? thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

VIN = chassis number. it is probably on your windscreen or inside the driver door.

i bought a car from uk last year and like other posters say, i couldnt pay tax till it was registered and vrt paid.

but why would a dealer register it in his own name?? this seems weird to me. most dealers bringing cars in from the uk will wait till it is sold, then register it in the consumers name.

try some of these type of websites to pump the reg number in and get a report, might be worth paying the few quid to find out what he has actually done, or not done!!

www.cartell.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think if he can produce a reg and record of vrt (registration tax) payment, you are fine

stevieob wrote: »
    VIN = chassis number. it is probably on your windscreen or inside the driver door.

i bought a car from uk last year and like other posters say, i couldnt pay tax till it was registered and vrt paid.

but why would a dealer register it in his own name?? this seems weird to me. most dealers bringing cars in from the uk will wait till it is sold, then register it in the consumers name.

try some of these type of websites to pump the reg number in and get a report, might be worth paying the few quid to find out what he has actually done, or not done!!

www.cartell.ie
    Thanks, he claimed that since I deman for the reg but he can't sign my name so he registered under his name. I just have no idea what's going on

Thanks, he claimed that since I deman for the reg but he can't sign my name so he registered under his name. I just have no idea what's going on

I think he sounds like a chancer.

How long is this going on, when did you buy the car off him exactly?

• Advertisement

VIN - vehicle identificion number.
    VRT- Vehicle registration tax, payable when a car is imported.
    Revenue- revenue commisioners/customs.
    Normally a dealer pays the vrt when he sells the car and registers in the purchasers name.
    If he has chosen to register it in his own name he will need to apply for a change ownership, if this is the case it could take 2/3 weeks to sort out.
    The O'Briens are selling cars for a long time in Cork, I'd be supprised if anything suspect was going with regard to VRT.
    Go back to the dealer, ask him to clarify the details re registered owner, get the Irish reg no. and tax it.

I think he sounds like a chancer.

How long is this going on, when did you buy the car off him exactly?
    I bought the car just before X'mas

aujopimur wrote: »
    VIN - vehicle identificion number.
    VRT- Vehicle registration tax, payable when a car is imported.
    Revenue- revenue commisioners/customs.
    Normally a dealer pays the vrt when he sells the car and registers in the purchasers name.
    If he has chosen to register it in his own name he will need to apply for a change ownership, if this is the case it could take 2/3 weeks to sort out.
    The O'Briens are selling cars for a long time in Cork, I'd be supprised if anything suspect was going with regard to VRT.
    Go back to the dealer, ask him to clarify the details re registered owner, get the Irish reg no. and tax it.
    thanks a lot. he's always vague when talk and make up all kinds of excueses. That's what bothers me. All he showed to me so far is a stampted form without his signiture and he says that's the evdience of him declearing the car.

I bought the car just before X'mas

that is way to long in my book. when i did mine, i went to the VRT office, paid them a cheque and she gave me my registration number, all done in 10 minutes.

what i would do is go to him now, demand to see proof that he has done everything to register the car etc and transfer it into your name.

If he can't show you everything, tell him you are going straight to the Guards and head on your merry way down to the Cop shop and spill the beans

that is way to long in my book. when i did mine, i went to the VRT office, paid them a cheque and she gave me my registration number, all done in 10 minutes.

what i would do is go to him now, demand to see proof that he has done everything to register the car etc and transfer it into your name.

If he can't show you everything, tell him you are going straight to the Guards and head on your merry way down to the Cop shop and spill the beans
    thanks for your suggestion.

thanks for your suggestion.

make sure to let us know how you get on

make sure to let us know how you get on
    called him over an hour ago asking for reg number. He said call me back with the nmbr in 10min. I'd like to get a sometime off work and go get everything from him. But it will be another waste of time. Everytime I go to him he has some crappy excuse. Really dont want to waste my holiday on that...

called him over an hour ago asking for reg number. He said call me back with the nmbr in 10min. I'd like to get a sometime off work and go get everything from him. But it will be another waste of time. Everytime I go to him he has some crappy excuse. Really dont want to waste my holiday on that...

call him again - - threaten the guards, see does he give you the reg number then

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

call him again - - threaten the guards, see does he give you the reg number then

the man i bought my car of cleared it and evan with a problem with the computers in the vrt centre i had my reg the very next day !! then you can tax it with your reg and you get your log book back

Did you bought your car from Jason O'Brian as well? There never was a log book, I need a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

Did you bought your car from Jason O'Brian as well? There never was a log book, I need a new one

no i did not i bought it in donegal privately

It would be a good idea to keep the car off the road and out of sight until it's sorted out.
    If it's not cleared by revenue you don't want it confiscated on the side of the road by the customs guys, which they are entitled to do if the VRT has'nt been paid.
    If you've driving it, I'm suprised you have'nt been pulled over by now.
    Maybe someone on here knows if there's a way to check its VRT status.

He told me I can drive since he had it cleared. But I kinda dont trust him anymore. Is there a way to check if it is decleared? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 delta1980

you should go to togher garda station, tell the gardai the story and tell them that you feel that you have been defrauded out of your money as he never provided any proof that he actually owned the car in the 1st place...tell the gardai that you want them to phone him and find out what is going on this is the least they can do. if the dealer is genuine he wont be long sortin it out once the gardai contact them

A mate has told me you can contact revenue/vrt in Rosslare to check if the car has been cleared.

delta1980 wrote: »
    you should go to togher garda station, tell the gardai the story and tell them that you feel that you have been defrauded out of your money as he never provided any proof that he actually owned the car in the 1st place...tell the gardai that you want them to phone him and find out what is going on this is the least they can do. if the dealer is genuine he wont be long sortin it out once the gardai contact them
    The problem is, if I got cop on this, will they take the car if it is not cleared? That's a dilemma。。。

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Does a garage not deal with the transfer of ownership online......provided it is the owner of course ????

ebbsy wrote: »
    Does a garage not deal with the transfer of ownership online......provided it is the owner of course ????
    I have no idea... Can they do it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the car was cleared you would have the Irish reg number. Seeing as you don'tit is safe to say it has not been cleared and you are the sitting duck that customs are waiting for. With no documents you are in a very weak position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have no idea... Can they do it online?

The last car I bought was registered online, because Shannon told me.

Advertisement