Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Evolution Series - Sky Arts - starts tonight 9pm

Options
  • 06-02-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭

Sky + set to record and series link :)

Distorted guitars, vigorous drumming, intense (and sometimes brute) vocals, long, untamed hair and Satanist t-shirts all comprise that genre of hard rock music which we've labelled “Metal”.

In Metal Evolution, musician, film director, and anthropologist Sam Dunn, whose work predominantly focuses on the culture of heavy metal, explores through the multi-generational phenomenon, proving that you don’t need to fit the above description in order to be taken by its evolution.

Think you know Metal music?

Though it has been criticised for decades, first and foremost by conventional parents, Metal has spectacularly proved that the 'fittest' music genres do ultimately survive and thrive.

Sam Dunn guides us through the genre’s rocky roots with highlights including discussions with some of Metal’s most influential people from Alice Cooper to Iron Maiden, Slash, Slayer and many more.
    So, whether you are a classical music fan or a head-banging, tattoo-covered teenager declaring yourself as a born-Metal-fan, this enlightening series will no doubt give you a fresh perspective on this convoluted labyrinth of intense music entitled "Metal".

Episode 1

180-Metal-Evolution-ep1-vid.jpg

Watch: Metal Evolution Ep. 1

In an episode dedicated to iconic heavy metal videos, legendary directors Dave Mallet and Wayne Isham discuss films they produced for AC/DC, Queen, Guns and Roses and Black Sabbath.

Episode 2

180-Metal-Evolution-ep2-vid.jpg

Watch: Metal Evolution Ep. 2

In the second episode of Metal Evolution, Flower power is declared dead as bands such as The Frost, Aerosmith and Van Halen explode onto the scene.

Episode 3

180-Metal-Evolution-ep3-vid.jpg

Watch: Metal Evolution Ep. 3

It’s now 1969 in Britain, where bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest begin to challenge the dominance of rock'n'roll.

Episode 4

180-Metal-Evolution-ep4-vid.jpg

Watch: Metal Evolution Ep. 4

The denim-jacketed air guitarists of the New Wave fiercely fight back at punk and ban ballads outright in episode 4 of Metal Evolution.

Episode 5

180-Metal-Evolution-ep5-vid.jpg

Watch: Metal Evolution Ep. 5

Slash, Motley Crue's Vince Neil and Van Halen's Michael Anthony discuss the vilification of glam rock shedding light to the intricacies and controversies of the genre.

Episode 6
    With the birth of thrash came breakneck tempos, disturbing and harshly barked lyrics, Metallica and Anthrax. Find out more on episode 6 of Metal Evolution.

Episode 7
    Grungers Kim Thayil and Jerry Cantrell talk about the debt they owe metal giants like Led Zeppelin.

Episode 8
    Sam Dunn charts the rise of nu metal, from Rage Against The Machine and Faith No More to Korn and Deftones.

Episode 9
    Alice Cooper reflects on the 1969 concert that spawned Shock Rock and brought animal mutilation onstage.

Episode 10
    Sam Dunn explores the rise of power metal which revived many heavy metal elements lost during the grunge era.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just came across a trailer for this last night whilst watching a Monty Python series. Looks excellent.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Cool, I'll definitely have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Thanks for posting this, will watch it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

FFS!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I remember seeing that thread chin_grin but never got around to looking for the show online. It being on tv just makes it easier.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the first part. There was a good collection of band members in that part alone, and they're given lots of screen time, not just short comments. I'm looking forward to seeing who's in the next few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Enough ferraris, Mr. Malmsteen? :D

Surprised there was no mention of Tony Iommi's hand injury.

Enough ferraris, Mr. Malmsteen? :D

Surprised there was no mention of Tony Iommi's hand injury.

Suppose there was no reason for it to come up. Iommi himself might be in a later episode, so he might mention it there.

Thought the exact same thing about Malmsteen with the Ferrari's. All the logos in his guitar room too

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Should be moving onto 70s metal tonight, Zep, Purple etc. a good start last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Alright I completely missed this.

set.. to .. reminder. done. episode 6. Can't I filter the mehtallica out?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Decent enough watch. Only thing is, it's a story we have all heard SOOO many times before.

Enjoyed last nights episode. I like how it focused on giving the American story, rather than just doing it chronologically and jumping from country to country.
    D.Q wrote: »
    Only thing is, it's a story we have all heard SOOO many times before.

Yeah, as much as I'm enjoying it, I can't help but think that a little. Still, it's only the second episode, so there's still plenty of room to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's little nuggets like this!!
    Elpico Amp (The 'Green Amp') - 1962
    I bought this in a radio spares shop in Muswell Hill in 1962. I couldn't afford a Watkins Dominator or a bigger posher amp! I went home and plugged the Elpico loudspeaker's output leads into the input of the AC 30, in effect using the smaller amp as kind of a pre-amp. It sounded great, but I wasn't satisfied. The crowning glory of my simple yet effective experiment was to slash the speaker cone of the Elpico with a razor blade so that the material, although now shredded, still remained intact with the outer side of the cone. As it vibrated it produced a distorted and jagged roar. In fact, the original set-up was so crude that the main amp's hum was almost as loud as the sound I had created. A sound was born, but I didn't know it at the time. Immediately I started using my set-up in live shows that I performed with Ray and our band, in the time leading up to the creation of the Kinks. Ironically, it was that sound, which we used on 'You Really Got Me,' that got the Kinks our first hit. - Excerpt from 'Kink' - An Autobiography by Dave Davies © 1996

Malmsteen was hilarious. breaking his boll*x all day polishing and positioning the cars!! "they say less is more, huh? no it's not" brilliant!

D.Q wrote: »
    Decent enough watch. Only thing is, it's a story we have all heard SOOO many times before.

fears compounded. So I can expect some kind of metallic to dominate a 'thrash' episode again doing it a disservice?

More suited prog / heavy metal / hard rock related episodes. I'll just record the series n skippety

Being a fan of 'hair metal', looking forward to episode five.

Friday night, according to the Sky planner.

I've enjoyed the series so far. The history of Metal is well documented so it's not like we're gonna find many revelations. The guy is enthusiastic about the genre and has gotten some great names involved and some excellent archive footage.

San Dunns material and sources are always top notch, but has anyone noticed their attention wandering regularly during his shows? Had to hit the rewind button a few times.

Thought last nights episode was really good. Really looking forward to the next few episodes seeing how all the sub-genres emerged.

Loved Scot Ian talking about Steve Harris. "Steve Harris is just metal. Whenever I see him I just want to kill people"

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Thought last nights episode was really good. Really looking forward to the next few episodes seeing how all the sub-genres emerged.

Loved Scot Ian talking about Steve Harris. "Steve Harris is just metal. Whenever I see him I just want to kill people"

..Harris cracked me up when he gave his opinion on punk! At least he was funny, Deep Purples opinion of metal was downright ignorant!!

Puzzled about last night's episode...

No mention of Motorhead who were famous for uniting punks and metalheads at their gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Balls only noticing this now, I wonder can the first 4 episodes be watched on Sky Anytime?

dcr22B wrote: »
    Balls only noticing this now, I wonder can the first 4 episodes be watched on Sky Anytime?
    there's another thread on the show here somewhere and it has links to the shows..possibly youtube as it has been shown elsewhere before xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

there's another thread on the show here somewhere and it has links to the shows..possibly youtube as it has been shown elsewhere before xmas.

................Yes there is.......................thanks. :mad:

:pac:

NEWOBBOM!:pac:

Loved Joe Elliot getting all defensive about Leppard being slated at Reading. 'They were throwing **** at all the bands'!:P

lord lucan wrote: »
    NEWOBBOM!:pac:

That was very annoying! Just sounds so cringeworthy.

I liked the guys approach he's a dedicated shredder I will watch all episodes. The story of the Dokken, was it frontman mouth wide open catching one of many a gozzier made me baulk a real highlight. And in classic hair metal fashion she swallowed it. Had to get a tetinus shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Have to say Im completely enjoying this series - yes there's nothing new here but I think the fact it's spread across so many episodes, Dunn is able to take more time with each subject so it's not as rushed/squashed as the usual 60min "Metal" documentaries (which usually just mention Sabbath, Zeppelin and Ozzy biting the head of a bat :rolleyes:)

Great insight last night into what happened to a lot of the guys after their heyday. Funny seeing the guy from Warrant now selling cars during the week and playing with the band at festivals at the weekend!

The guy from Dokken looked embarrassed admitting that they compromised by going down the power ballad route and going after the money.

Some of these guys looked like they may have had more Botox than their wives! Who had a lot

• Advertisement

Great stuff so far tonight, what an era that was. Gary Holt sure loves killing people.

Advertisement