Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Evolution Series - Sky Arts - starts tonight 9pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting end to tonights show, a limp wristed metallica performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

At least sturdy thrash stalwarts slayer got about equal coverage as some kind of however this episode reeked of bn there / seen that.. so may prove to be the least interesting. Nice to see bostaph however

The host dude was wearing an old Voïvod shirt too but alas, not a mention outside big 4 testament exodus and death angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Interesting end to tonights show, a limp wristed metallica performance.

is there any other kind these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

What was that Testament song with the cheesefest music video?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Really enjoyed last nights episode. Loads of good footage and interview clips. I'm not even a thrash fan, but thought it was just a really well laid out episode.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the subgenres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gary Holt sure loves killing people.

I had to laugh ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

For me the 'grunge' episode showed how lost that movement was in itself as a mere form of general rock, or alt rock with a punk ethic with metal of course struggling to find a new angle after it's full circle evolution into ironically the most primitive; thrash.. such was the nature of the genre but for me the most intelligent, 'progressive' band without losing the intensity of thrash was canadian frenchies Voivod up to Angel Rat.

I seriously doubt any episode after thrash will hold up much, a la grunge its not metal; yes they were rockers.. alt rockers but I think the very word 'grunge' indicates the struggle to fill a void and spawn something worthy of being dubbed new already as far back as 20yr+ and the desperation of each new generation to lay claim to a 'new' sub genre since. which continues today.. and always will. Got so bad the hip hop disco 'street' metal fusion was dubbed 'Nu Metal' for fcksake. I think that produced the last of a genuinely new angle but I also think that's because nobody prior particularly wanted to touch it - was almost a form of chav metal.

And so we have a new generation of budding science students with their 'progressive metal' and scandinavians in their fantasy cosplay, elves and orcs seems any rehash today is all watered down now anyhow with modern life having been overpolished I miss the rough around the edges intensity of the 80s and into the 90s some.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Black Flag + Black Sabbath = Grunge

Grunge episode was OK .. but then again if I look at my music collection it features feck all of those bands so hardly surprising I felt a bit "meh" about it.

Tonight - Nu Metal - will suck copious amounts of donkey balls - but I'll watch it cos Ive a touch of OCD about watching the entire series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

RayCon wrote: »

Tonight - Nu Metal - will suck copious amounts of donkey balls - but I'll watch it cos Ive a touch of OCD about watching the entire series.

I'm the very same! Considerin Nu Metal more or less a hick up in music history! ;) Stiill got to keep watchin like!:cool:

Managed to DL the entire series too ... so Ive burned to DVD for prosperity :D

Thought the grunge episode was class, turned off bigtime back in the day but appreciate it a lot more now. Alice in chains are great, however if my parents allowed me attend megadeth/pantera/aic I probably would have ignored them! What a major move it was for sound garden to have a metal producer! He said they were in charge in the studio, but I always found it was their heavyness that set them apart from the others. Rusty cage is drop B ffs!

Grungers still hung out w thrashers.. rockers alike such was the trend then with rave/gansta rap/scangers not an option yet n yet that ****s still new-skool to me. perpetual playschool material anyhow just grunge was 'wimp rock' as tommy tighe might put it, though the nihilism was admirable we just wanted the next faster, more rebellious heavier thing in heavy metal but after thrash / death / gore that was just not possible n with that any remaining possible future shock factor got used up.

Curious that Faith No More are in the upcomig Nu Metal episode but in retrospect, and into the 90s with Angel Dust he may well be able to explain it.. in 15 min

I was thinking Kerry king had media training or hired a pr guru he's been so positive, but his mask slipped there when he rubbished diablos and therefore Jeffs riffs!

I think it all got polluted moreso than diluted with the arrival of the 3 stripes of corporate conformity percived as hip in metal, of all places. and with max cavalera in an adidas jumpsuit with his new laid back 'groove' sepultura never sounded as dumb.

Nu metal pretty much removed virtuosity / athleticism from metal and removed anything mature from it, gave it to the kids entirely that's the danger of pandering to what's been popular the past 18yr i heard the term underground mentioned here; bollix every overpolished thing these guys recorded/shot was for kids/ money. Pop-pap. I guess Korn were unique n it still produced some good musicians, rap will never take that out of metal

/notice how there's almost an oversaturation of metal on Sky ARTS yet seemingly no techno nor rap features. aren't rappers the ones that often refer to emselves as artists.. o dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Been enjoying this series. However, just looked at an episode guide for the series and - despite episodes devoted to Thrash, Grunge, Nu Metal, Power Metal, Prog and "Shock Rock (whatever that is), there is no episode covering Death, Black, Doom, Grindcore etc?! Now, while these genres may never have scaled the commercial heights of Glam, (some) Thrash etc, surely coverage of them is crucial to any series purporting to be a history of metal's evolution, with Death Metal and its offshoots surely being the major metal spin off to have arisen in the last 25 years? And while many of the bands may not be household names (although I'd wager recognition of the likes of Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and Napalm Death is widespread), the same can surely be said for Rhapsody, Dragonforce and Kamelot, all apparently featured in a later episode?

^ have to agree with Padraig Mor ... while Im not a Death Metal fan - I think Dunn has a fairly large, unexplainable hole in his History Of Metal by ignoring this sub genre. You only have to look at the impact Death Metal has had in the Nordic countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Series is missing some Venom.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

lord lucan wrote: »
    Series is missing some Venom.:mad:

They were on tonight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

galwayrush wrote: »
    They were on tonight..

Just watched it there now. Great episode,good to see Venom and King Diamond get good coverage. Funny seeing KD without all the make-up!:D

Venom were fücking hilarious the classic "it's the drugs doug" interview from their '84 tour w/ Slayer is testament to that
    Been enjoying this series. However, just looked at an episode guide for the series and - despite episodes devoted to Thrash, Grunge, Nu Metal, Power Metal, Prog and "Shock Rock (whatever that is), there is no episode covering Death, Black, Doom, Grindcore etc?! Now, while these genres may never have scaled the commercial heights of Glam, (some) Thrash etc, surely coverage of them is crucial to any series purporting to be a history of metal's evolution, with Death Metal and its offshoots surely being the major metal spin off to have arisen in the past 25yr?

shock rock, all image no real substance type of acts you'd definitely go see for theatrical values but wouldn't dare listen to at home. a good example today personally would be rammstein!! Very funny but I like the metal I hold dear to me to be genuinely tormenting the powers that apparently be n thrash really pushed those boundaries with its speed / itensity / anarcho punk ethic. Death metal was sort of an offshoot of trash I'd have thought, and maybe grindcore I agree it's not that in-depth a series maybe he's just giving attention to the aspects that had most cultural impact within his budget

If there was a death metal episode then a shock rock episode would have been ok, however in the absence of a death metal episode, last nights was an utter waste of time.....Napalm Death, Carcass and morbid angel alone would have been a great episode...

I'm now officially puzzled at the lack of death metal...he's surely aware of its existence...so much metal history without a mention. Morbid angel, obituary, deicide, napalm death, carcass and of course death were a massive inspiration to Many. No mention of glen danzig either, his influence on metal was huge.

criminal not to acknowledge the likes of Carcass & Obituary, I agree death metal should have been focused on then particularly as 'Power Metal' still baffles me as I used to get told pantera were it for instance but I'll take Dragonforce's example.. virtuosity in classicism / speed in thrash, pushed to the elevens to the point of parody it strikes me as something the japanese may have been doing for years prior, but I sorta get it now if dragonforce are it. yngwie malmsteen is neoclassicism, I am confused. all that travelling and Joey DeMaio wouldn't talk to the guy!

Advertisement