Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite home made food as Mother used to make.

• 06-02-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Everyone has fond memories of the food mother used to make when we were kids. Although some of these have been covered before, I thought a dedicated thread so that we can share these recipes and spread a little happiness around.

I will start the ball rolling with two traditional Liverpool dishes. Pea Wack and Scouse. Both ideal on cold wintery days.

Please tell us yours too.

Pea wack:

2 Gammon shanks
    300g green split peas soaked overnight
    2 large onions
    1 bay leaf

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan with 2 litres of water, bring to boil. Then reduce to a slow simmer for 2 hours, topping water as you go. There should be about 1.5 litres of thick soup at the end. Take out the gammon, remove the skin and bone and pull into chunks. Scoop out the onion and whizz to a paste in the food processor with a little of the soup. Stir back into the soup along with the ham. Serve with coarse black pepper

Although we used bacon bones to make the stock with and not gammon shanks, that was too expensive.

Scouse (many versions as every house made it's own)

Ingredients (to feed 5-6, all quantities approximate)

1½ lb lamb neck fillets
    1 large onion
    4-5 carrots, cut in large chunks
    1 small swede, cut in smaller chunks
    2-3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into walnut-sized pieces
    Small tin of tomatoes (optional)
    Salt & pepper
    Dollop of HP Sauce Or Worcestershire sauce.

Scouse is the deliciously gloopy mush from which Liverpudlians take their nickname. Its origins lie in lobskaus, a Norwegian seamen's dish made of whatever was left in ship's stores at the end of the voyage.

Before the advent of pre-prepared baby foods, most of us were weaned on teaspoonsful of "juice off the scouse". A cup of the same ambrosial liquid was a treat when we came in shivering from school on a winter's afternoon.

Almost every family in our street on Merseyside had its own version of the wonderful stuff. I learned this one from my mum over 50 years ago.

Place all ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed pan, adding water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for at least two hours while you go shopping, watch the telly, or get on with writing your novel. Long cooking improves scouse as the potatoes collapse into the liquid and thicken it.

If unexpected visitors turn up, you can add extra potatoes and veg up to half an hour before serving, but don't forget to adjust the seasoning.

Serve with pickled cabbage or beetroot and the best white bread you can find. Any leftovers - a rare event in our house - can be topped with short pastry and baked at gas mark 6 for 30 minutes to make that other great Liverpool classic, scouse pie.

When scouse is done right you can stand a table spoon up vertically in the middle without any support.

Or you could do it this way:

http://www.scouser.com/scouse-recipe/

And that is where we get the nicknames "Scousers" and "Wacks" from.

(This presentation is brought to you courtesy of the "Proud to be a Scouser" Rube )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

My mum still makes the best bread and butter pudding in the world. Everywhere I travel, if I see it on the menu I will try it. No one comes close. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My mum is the worst cook ever. She makes everything taste like soup - mediocre bland soup. It was the spur that got me cooking for myself.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Actually I am a terrible cook, I can burn water when I make the tea if nobody is looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

OldGoat wrote: »
    My mum is the worst cook ever. She makes everything taste like soup - mediocre bland soup. It was the spur that got me cooking for myself.
    Same here, but she made a very nice fry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My wife has a Black Belt in cookery. She could kill you with one chop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

My DAD was the best cook in our house (sorry mum :o). His cakes and tarts had were the best and the fry he made on a Sunday morning was the bees knees! Mind you, my mum did make fantastic gravy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My mum was great at cooking roast beef. I can't do it, mine is usually concrete when it eventually appears! Her gravy was fab. She was what is known as a 'plain cook', and I suppose I am too although I would be more experimental, which mum wasn't. She wouldn't have even heard of the spices I have in my kitchen now. Her fruit scones were to die for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My mother, and my grandmother before her, were both from the 'boil it in water so salty it is technically brine til you are sure its really dead/ roast it until it's just minutes from needing an urn' school of Irish cooking so I lived on fruit - even then they would try and stew it with sugar if I didn't watch them like hawks. Then I learned how to cook from Jamaicans, West Indians and classically trained French and Spanish chefs.

Having said that - WOW - could they do desserts. Mam's choux pastry is a fluffy cloud of yum with a slight crunch. Nan's shortcrust pastry melted in the mouth and her steamed puddings were so light they had to be caught with a net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

My mother was a cordon bleu cook. She used make sauces and I'd watch her, and I still can't do a sauce the way she did! She was great.

My father was a very experimental cook and produced extraordinary meals - but they were great. He'd put flavours together you'd never think of, and they just worked out wonderfully. I can cook well if I put my mind to it, but mostly I don't - I just can't do the day after day after day cooking well.

My wife has a Black Belt in cookery. She could kill you with one chop.

That is a brilliant quote, can I steal it? :D:D

OK folks post up a recipe I can try out. (NO BAKING!!! I can not bake to save my life.)

• Advertisement

I actually went on a cookery course (nights) and really enjoyed it. I was the only man in a class of ten. Had some great laughs. On the second last night we were left on our own to cook a simple meal. I made a Spaghetti Bolognese but i always get mixed up with those wee bits of garlic and put in two whole ones. Nearly poisoned the old doll beside me. She was drinking water for the rest of the night and giving me bad stares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Rubecula wrote: »
    That is a brilliant quote, can I steal it? :D:D

OK folks post up a recipe I can try out. (NO BAKING!!! I can not bake to save my life.)

Have a look on the Mustard forum ( I kid you not ) there are some great recipies there.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Have a look on the Mustard forum ( I kid you not ) there are some great recipies there.

Thanks, it really cuts the mustard!! :)

I actually went on a cookery course (nights) and really enjoyed it. I was the only man in a class of ten. Had some great laughs. On the second last night we were left on our own to cook a simple meal. I made a Spaghetti Bolognese but i always get mixed up with those wee bits of garlic and put in two whole ones. Nearly poisoned the old doll beside me. She was drinking water for the rest of the night and giving me bad stares.

I was choking too. With laughter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

My mums soda bread was the bestest ever, fact!.

It was noticeable how every other household had their own take on this but I think one got so used to ones own that nothing else came close. As kids we often got to try out the neighbours efforts and no one was ever swayed from their conviction that their family had the best.
    Years ago baking bread was almost a daily occurrence but it wasn't for many years later I found out my mum actually hated soda bread and rarely ate it!
    Didn't stop us though and if the mistake was made of leaving it down while still warm it didn't last one sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Pebbles68

My mam's Yorkshire puddings. Honestly I didn't care about the sunday roast. Just give me a couple of her Yorkshires, some gravy and some peas. She was born in the north east of England, I think it's something in the genes that every "lass" is able to make perfect Yorkshire puddings.

It wasn't just me. I was born in Canada and anytime my mam was invited to a dinner party she had to bring along her batter mix and make Yorksires. Her secret; half milk and half lager, although I secretly think she enjoyed a sip or two while cooking:D and the lager was just an excuse to open a bottle.

Pebbles68, your mum was ahead of her time. These days it is a common practice to make batter with soda water or beer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

My dad used to cook the sunday dinner and none of us were allowed NEAR the kitchen while he was in there. He used absolutely every cup, saucer, pot, knife, fork and spoon when cooking the roast (for about 20 people!) and the kitchen was like a bombsite by the time he was finished, which would inevitably end in a row with himself and my mother on a sunday evening;)

Supper time was always my favourite - he'd make an 'egg in a cup' (though I'm sure there's another name for it!), which I now make for my own lad and he loves it too. Couple of boiled eggs mashed up in a cup, with a dollop of butter and salt & pepper, 2 slices of toast and you were done:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Pancakes!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Fittle wrote: »
    Supper time was always my favourite - he'd make an 'egg in a cup' (though I'm sure there's another name for it!), which I now make for my own lad and he loves it too. Couple of boiled eggs mashed up in a cup, with a dollop of butter and salt & pepper, 2 slices of toast and you were done:D

We used to just call it 'sloppy eggs' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Absolutely everything my mam made was exceptional. There was nothing she couldn't make. She used to make spaghetti bolognese with no oil whatsoever to brown the mince and it was sublime. When she was cooking she preferred to be left alone. I think she used to have cooking as a form of therapy.

Easy Pancakes the Jamie Oliver way.

1 cup of flour.
    1 cup of milk.
    1 egg.

Mix well (I add a little melted butter and a little lemon juice to the mix -- delicious and easy)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Killeshandra butter on home made Soda Bread .Fried Chips that did'nt need anything on them .Tomatoes that did'nt need salt before the waterbags that we have these days .New potatoes again that did'nt need salt or butter on them .Even Patrick Gilbaud has'nt food today; like the poor had then in 50s ireland .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I use the shortcut version to this now - in a microwave :o Break eggs into cup, pierce yolks and cook on medium for about 2 minutes (2 eggs). Sublime and quick, with no oochy-ouchy burned fingers getting them from shell to cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Teagwee wrote: »
    I use the shortcut version to this now - in a microwave :o Break eggs into cup, pierce yolks and cook on medium for about 2 minutes (2 eggs). Sublime and quick, with no oochy-ouchy burned fingers getting them from shell to cup.

Gonna try that for tea tonight, thanks:D

I always make it for it the little fella, and end up scraping the leftovers off the side of the cup, coz I just think I'm too grown up to make it for myself:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Gonna try that for tea tonight, thanks:D

I always make it for it the little fella, and end up scraping the leftovers off the side of the cup, coz I just think I'm too grown up to make it for myself:p

You might have to experiment a bit with your microwave to get them exactly the way you want them. Underdo them first as you can always add another couple of seconds in increments.
    I have a new microwave now (just yesterday) and I found that 1 minute on high, followed by 1.40 minutes on simmer cooks 3 eggs to perfection. I like my eggs!
    Don't forget to pierce all the yolks several times with a fork or a cocktail stick - or you'll be VERY sorry ;) When egg explodes in the microwave, it sure aint a pretty sight and you'll be cleaning globs from the crevices for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Great thread. I must be becoming an oul' fella...

#Scrambled eggs done in the microwave are good too. Quick and easy.

3 eggs, teeny weeny drop of milk, black pepper and knob of butter. Mix well.
    About 2 mins on high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

#Scrambled eggs done in the microwave are good too. Quick and easy.

3 eggs, teeny weeny drop of milk, black pepper and knob of butter. Mix well.
    About 2 mins on high.

And some grated cheddar!

• Advertisement

When my younger sister was a little one and wouldn't eat her food (as kids are wont to do at times) my mum made "egg a la toss" (Her own name for it)

An egg in a saucer and sprinkled with grated cheese, then cooked in the oven.

When the kids wouldn't eat, I used to make them one of my "specials" slice of bacon cooked under a grill but covered in cheese with a merest touch of marmite.

Yes I know these things are not to everyone's taste, but it got the kids eating, especially letting them see them being prepared and cooked. Give them a running commentary, and ask things like, "Is that enough do you think?, or would you suggest it needs a bit more? " "Shh I know you don't want it, but it smells good doesn't it?" "Do you think it needs a bit more of XXX?" "You think if your mum sees you take a bite, just the one bite, she will stop chasing you to eat?"

Usually, they took a bite, then finished off a "special" LOL

Advertisement