Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite home made food as Mother used to make.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Have bought Brawn in Ireland ......... Morton's in Ranelagh ...... but it is preserved in vinegar aspic, so the sour taste is pervasive. Have eaten it in England and it was lovely. Tongue was another one of my favourites as a child.
    A few years ago I got Tonguewurst in Super Value (Bray or Wicklow town). This is a blood pudding - like Drisheen - but with a cooked tongue running through the midle. I started eating it before I hit the exit door :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Here is one of the most delicious recipes my mom ever makes (I love this so much)

Ingredients:

1/2 chopped green pepper (1/2 of a pepper chopped up)
    1/2 chopped onion (1/2 of an onion chopped up)
    1/2 lb ground beef
    1 lb can tomatoes
    6 oz can tomato paste
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 lb mostaccioli noodles
    1/2 lb velveeta cheese
    bay leaf
    1 Jar of Speghetti Sauce (The "Flavoured with Meat" Kind) (32oz Jar)

Prep:

In oil,saute onion & pepper until tender. Add meat & cook until brown. Stir in tomatoes,tomato paste,water,salt,pepper,bay leaf. Add Speghetti Sauce, Simmer.

Cook Mostaccioli noodles as directed. Cut Velveeta in thin slices.
    In a 2qt casserolo,arrange alternate layers of noodles,sauce and cheese.

Bake @ 350 for 30 mins

The Result:

The Best tasting dish you'll ever have!!!!!!!!!

I hope many will enjoy this as much as I do...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

This sounds delicious! I'm assuming we can sub the mostaccioli with penne pasta and the Velveeta with the Galtee cheese in a box? I haven't seen either locally, especially not the Velveeta. I think I'll give this a go soon - thanks for the recipe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

2lb self raising flour, pinch of salt, half a cup of butter, a bit of sugar, and two cups of milk.

Mix the flour, sugar and salt and rub in the butter (or dairy spread if you like). make a hole in the mix. Add milk (and some currants or sultanas if you like) and mix with a wooden spoon. Then trun it out on to a floured table, give it a bit of an old knead and roll it to about the thickness of your thumb. using a cup cut out round shapes. Whip up an egg in a cup and using your fingers moisten the tops of the scones with it. Put on a floured tray and into the middle of an oven at about 200 or gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes and eat, yum.
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Let us know how ye got on.
    Cheers.
    Ould Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: Can we keep this thread for general stuff about the remembered gorgeousness of mother's cooking please? There is a Cooking Club forum for recipe exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Teagwee wrote:
    This sounds delicious! I'm assuming we can sub the mostaccioli with penne pasta and the Velveeta with the Galtee cheese in a box?
    I reckon so (On both) .... I have been looking for a VELVETTA REPLACEMENT because its now made with SKIM MILK and doesnt taste as good :( (Used to have reg milk and was delicious)

Ill look into this Galtee cheese you mention :)

Thank you and I hope you like it! (It IS very good)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I always loved me ma's coddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

You people are bringing me back......My Mam passed away two and a half years ago and we were all home for the Anniversary Mass the first year, my poor sister, now living in the USA was feeling very disconnected as it became apparent that we were in fact the "Elder Lemon's"!! Cue a frenzied cooking session using all the stuff Granny, our Great Aunt & Mam used to cook.

Firstly the soda bread, in the course of making this it became apparent that Granny and her sister made two different versions, one used Carnation Condensed Milk & Sugar (Sweet tooth), the other salt and buttermilk (savoury) the rest of the recipe worked for both. Then the shoulder of lamb, soup made first, then the shoulder roasted of in the oven to make the dinner. They used Cookeen, which I think was the lard of it's day......for roasting, frying you name it....Their fry up's were legendary and being small farmers this was an important meal as it was served up to the locals when they were giving each other a day's work....cutting/bringing home turf, hay etc. Also, my great Aunt used to make a tonic drink with cream taken from fresh milk, lucozade and sugar.....whizzed up like a mik shake.....it was amazing and certainly got you back on your feet if you were poorly.......would probably be seen as child abuse these days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carmella2012

my mam's potato cakes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Pandora2 wrote: »
    You people are bringing me back......My Mam passed away two and a half years ago and we were all home for the Anniversary Mass the first year, my poor sister, now living in the USA was feeling very disconnected as it became apparent that we were in fact the "Elder Lemon's"!! Cue a frenzied cooking session using all the stuff Granny, our Great Aunt & Mam used to cook.

Firstly the soda bread, in the course of making this it became apparent that Granny and her sister made two different versions, one used Carnation Condensed Milk & Sugar (Sweet tooth), the other salt and buttermilk (savoury) the rest of the recipe worked for both. Then the shoulder of lamb, soup made first, then the shoulder roasted of in the oven to make the dinner. They used Cookeen, which I think was the lard of it's day......for roasting, frying you name it....Their fry up's were legendary and being small farmers this was an important meal as it was served up to the locals when they were giving each other a day's work....cutting/bringing home turf, hay etc. Also, my great Aunt used to make a tonic drink with cream taken from fresh milk, lucozade and sugar.....whizzed up like a mik shake.....it was amazing and certainly got you back on your feet if you were poorly.......would probably be seen as child abuse these days!!

Mammies were big into sugar in my youth also. Mine used to make sugar sandwiches! :eek: And when she made me my first cuppa tea it automatically had two spoons of sugar in it, hence my addiction today. They said it gave you energy! Probably right when you see how high kids get on it today. Mammies knew everything! Although I made sure I did not pass on the sugar habit to my babbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I had no problem dropping/reducing sugar from my foods but getting past the serious salt addiction me ma gave me is another thing entirely.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Spread wrote: »
    Have bought Brawn in Ireland ......... Morton's in Ranelagh ...... but it is preserved in vinegar aspic, so the sour taste is pervasive. Have eaten it in England and it was lovely. Tongue was another one of my favourites as a child.
    A few years ago I got Tonguewurst in Super Value (Bray or Wicklow town). This is a blood pudding - like Drisheen - but with a cooked tongue running through the midle. I started eating it before I hit the exit door :o

Some Dunnes and Spars stock Brawn on the Deli counters. There was a posh version with red peppers but it wasn't that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

OldGoat wrote: »
    the serious salt addiction me ma gave me is another thing entirely.
    That reminds me of a discussion I had with my OH recently. My darling husband has ridiculously high cholesterol which he claims is hereditary. The fact that his mother(cholesterol level 9.5 !!!) gave him a sweets/cake/sugar addiction is more likely the cause.

Advertisement